Why become a member? ×

Any Way To Enhance Harmonics?

Linus27

On some of the bass lines I play, there are sections where I am playing a run or melody using harmonics. Its just single harmonic notes as the chord changes but its a nice effect to use in those parts of the song. When I first did it, the rest of the band went WOW and a few people at gigs have said that bit when you were doing that thing, it sounds really good. I am currently using a chorus pedal and playing it on a fretless. However, I'd like to try and make it even bigger, more prominent and if possible, orchestral sounding and wondering if there are any effects I could try that would create this sort of thing? I'm a effect virgin really apart from chorus and octave so open to any suggestions. 

Increasing the mid range (on board on an active with 3 band of more; on the amp for passive of 2 band active - you can also increase the mid range on the latter by lowering the bass and treble controls especially if they’re full on, and dependent on bass model) usually makes harmonics ring better but I’d also second the use of a compressor - in fact I’m looking at exactly that currently - one of the reasons (but there are others) being to enhance pinched harmonics. 

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

For that "orchestral" sound, you can try a shimmering effect, that will surely sound big. Not that easy to use, but worth giving it a try.

And don't forget a good reverb too. Strange that nobody mentioned this.

I wondered if a Reverb would help as it would allow the note to carry further for longer and with the Chorus as well would widen the sound. 

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

In case it's not obvious, a Jazz or other bass with a pickup near the bridge will deliver more harmonics than a P-bass.

I am playing it on a jazz and do consciously move my hand further back towards the bridge pickup when I play them for the reason you mention.

• Like 1

If you have an ‘enhance’ function on your amp that can help bring out the very top end, very nice on fretless. There are also ‘Harmonic Enhancer’ pedals (DOD used to do one and the Boss LMB3 too) - careful though they can add some noise but fine live  

That and a touch of reverb, definitely. Sometimes Chorus can take some of the beef out of the harmonics but does sound great, in the studio. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Linus27 said:

Thanks again everyone, some really helpful advice. A compressor and Reverb is certainly on the list of pedals to buy anyway. I'm liking the look of the Boss LMB3 but as Nail Soup has said, it might be something as simple as a boost pedal.

You can use the LMB3 as a boost too, and it's also a really great compressor (which does limiting really well).

• Like 1