Why become a member? ×

SOLD SOLD Fender CIJ jazz bass with Aguilar HC pups
£675
Central London/South Somerset

Richard Jinman

The heady rush of selling my P bass has inspired me to relist my Fender Japan '75 Reissue in Olympic White, with a bound and blocked neck and tort plate. I bought it from @Gareth Hughes on this forum for a very reasonable £700. Since then I’ve swapped (Tim Marten did the work) the Bill Lawrence J45 pups for Aguilar HCs (J45s will be included) and it’s wearing a new set of Thomasik jazz flats. Bass has a few battle scars and small mods - flush straplocks on the upper horn and on the back (in a Dingwall inspired move) and a Kiogon wiring loom with a push/pull series/parallel switch on the tone pot. Serial number is P046083, which puts it at either 1993-1994 or 1999-2002. It’s a lovely thing… looks great, sounds great. Selling because the old adage ‘you can’t have too many jazzes’ was disputed by my wife. Turns out you can have too many. Bass is in Somerset, but can be collected from London EC2 with a bit  of notice. I’m asking £675 which seems good value given the pup upgrade. No hard case so postage (at buyer’s expense) would need to be gig bag inside bass box. Weight? Not sure. Will check, but it’s no twinkle toes. 

IMG_0679.jpg.6ae0fc612bd92c5f7a6c5eb7738b1f0a.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Edited by Richard Jinman
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

Is it my sight or do those boxed pickups have too many poles for a four string ?

I believe that’s due to the hum cancelling design of the pickups. They’re definitely unique - apparently they will work for both 4 and 5 string basses

• Like 1

Here's the official explanation for the 9 poles. 

The J-45 is a coaxial coil design incorporating our air spaced micro-coil system, to reproduce a noise free and Traditional Jazz Bass Sound. Nine evenly spaced direct alnico 2 magnets provide a wide magnetic field to perform equally well on most 4 and 5 string basses.

The J45 comes in a black cover with either flush pole pieces or a slight stagger that can accommodate most radii.

• Like 1

Just now, Richard Jinman said:

Here's the official explanation for the 9 poles. 

The J-45 is a coaxial coil design incorporating our air spaced micro-coil system, to reproduce a noise free and Traditional Jazz Bass Sound. Nine evenly spaced direct alnico 2 magnets provide a wide magnetic field to perform equally well on most 4 and 5 string basses.

The J45 comes in a black cover with either flush pole pieces or a slight stagger that can accommodate most radii.

I don't understand 80 per cent of the above, but I'm sure others do

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

Out of interest, how would you describe the difference between the J-45s and the Aguilar HCs?

I'm no expert, but the Aguilars are louder, cleaner and to my ears 'more expressive'. I guess it's something of a more modern tone compared to say Fender vintage pups..... personally, I think they're amazing as the HC design does exactly what it says on the tin. Nothing wrong with the J-45s of course, but I figured if I put premium pups on what is a very lovely bass, I'd have something quite special. 

Edited by Richard Jinman

• Richard Jinman changed the title to SOLD SOLD Fender CIJ jazz bass with Aguilar HC pups
  • Rich locked this topic