Why become a member? ×

OK, you can all give up the bass and go home now

skankdelvar

15 hours ago, ern500evo said:

I remember seeing this for the first time and thinking wtf?! She was 13 at the time 

Pffft Ralph was knocking this stuff out while he was a homeless bum with Willie brown and while he was learning to be a karate master with mr Miyagi!! 

• Haha 5

That's nothing. I learned to play bass, guitar, piano and didgeridoo whiile I were still in't womb, wrote my first symphony in wax crayons by 6 months, and at 5 I played my ultra-famous paper-and-comb concerto with backing vocals by a troupe of trained colobus monkeys at the Albert Hall to an audience including the Queen, John F Kennedy, John Lennon, the Aga Khan and Shergar.

At 10 I was practising 26 hours a day while busking in Times Square and made my first million playing you-hum-it-I'll-play-it to Michael Jackson (he hardly touched me btw). I married Kylie and played a duet with my other wife, Dua Lipa, before divorcing them both and moving to a Brazilian favela to get real. These days I'm so over the whole music thing, I've deliberately unlearned how to play and am now learning sitar, playing only behind my head with my feet.

What's more, we never had any famous or musical types in our family. We would have got up 2 hours before going to bed in a hole in the road but it was full of fake Yorkshiremen so we had to wait. Etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

That 9 year old doesn't phase me! Yeah he's an amazing talent who would find anything I play a stroll, but jazz is not my thing and I honestly find jazz bass is quite hideous!

Edited by pst62

23 minutes ago, nige1968 said:

That's nothing. I learned to play bass, guitar, piano and didgeridoo whiile I were still in't womb, wrote my first symphony in wax crayons by 6 months, and at 5 I played my ultra-famous paper-and-comb concerto with backing vocals by a troupe of trained colobus monkeys at the Albert Hall to an audience including the Queen, John F Kennedy, John Lennon, the Aga Khan and Shergar.

At 10 I was practising 26 hours a day while busking in Times Square and made my first million playing you-hum-it-I'll-play-it to Michael Jackson (he hardly touched me btw). I married Kylie and played a duet with my other wife, Dua Lipa, before divorcing them both and moving to a Brazilian favela to get real. These days I'm so over the whole music thing, I've deliberately unlearned how to play and am now learning sitar, playing only behind my head with my feet.

What's more, we never had any famous or musical types in our family. We would have got up 2 hours before going to bed in a hole in the road but it was full of fake Yorkshiremen so we had to wait. Etc

I did ALL of that after I died. So there. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, nige1968 said:

Are you Jacob Collier ?

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, nige1968 said:

My legal team would like to point out I was at a Pizza Express in Woking at the time and I have no carnal knowledge of the talented nige......

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Because it is easier than driving round to all your family and friends and playing the same thing?

If they are family they would surely hear you playing. Any real friends would also know you play and have heard you play.

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Thing is, what with kids learning/memory capacity being much greater than adults', if they start of 3 then by 10 they should be ready to go pro and so be able to pay for their board and lodging 

This. Now that the pits and mills are closed there needs to be a way to make them pay their upkeep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikel said:

If they are family they would surely hear you playing. Any real friends would also know you play and have heard you play.

If they are anything like my kids if it’s not posted on social media it doesn’t exist and isn’t happening.

Dear BassChatter

I am writing to you today about the growing problem of Distress Caused By Videos Of Children Doing Stuff And Having Fun Doing It Syndrome.

It's impossible to underestimate the profound hurt caused by involuntary exposure to videos of children doing stuff and having fun doing it. This hurt manifests itself as a deep, aching distress, the visible symptoms of which are pursed lips, cognitive dissonance and swelling around the collar.

People suffering from Distress Caused By Videos Of Children Doing Stuff And Having Fun Doing It Syndrome are too often dismissed as being fatheads or moaning bleeders but nothing could be further from the truth. Their suffering is genuine and they need our help. 

To this end I have established a charity with the express purpose of supporting sufferers from DCBVOCDSAHFDI syndrome but support doesn't come cheap. So dig deep and send me what you can - even a paltry £100 could help.

Let's make a difference.

f95a5b73e8ef1ffa6b2789a94effd4e1.png

Patron

Remit cheques, money orders to: PO Box 1176, Lagos, Nigeria

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, mikel said:

I've only heard my nephew, a talented multi-instrumentalist, play a couple of times, as he lives in Cornwall. He has put a couple of videos up on Facebook but only keyboards, drums, and guitar, he hasn't put any flute up yet.

2 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Dear BassChatter

I am writing to you today about the growing problem of Distress Caused By Videos Of Children Doing Stuff And Having Fun Doing It Syndrome.

It's impossible to underestimate the profound hurt caused by involuntary exposure to videos of children doing stuff and having fun doing it. This hurt manifests itself as a deep, aching distress, the visible symptoms of which are pursed lips, cognitive dissonance and swelling around the collar.

People suffering from Distress Caused By Videos Of Children Doing Stuff And Having Fun Doing It Syndrome are too often dismissed as being fatheads or moaning bleeders but nothing could be further from the truth. Their suffering is genuine and they need our help. 

To this end I have established a charity with the express purpose of supporting sufferers from DCBVOCDSAHFDI syndrome but support doesn't come cheap. So dig deep and send me what you can - even a paltry £100 could help.

Let's make a difference.

f95a5b73e8ef1ffa6b2789a94effd4e1.png

Patron

Remit cheques, money orders to: PO Box 1176, Lagos, Nigeria

Not to mention issues of crippling self doubt, lack of worth, glaring into the void of hopelessness and putting their instruments up for immediate sale on Gumtree

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nige1968 said:

That's nothing. I invented music before the big bang.

• Thanks 1

On 04/11/2021 at 19:18, ern500evo said:

I remember seeing this for the first time and thinking wtf?! She was 13 at the time 

Many years ago that was one of my bass practice pieces. I certainly wasn’t 13, but then I didn’t start playing until I was 17. 😉 

Its all very impressive, but to echo BigRedX, I’m thousands of times more impressed by the fact that Kate Bush wrote The Man With The Child in His Eyes at 13. And recorded it - live with a full orchestra - at 16. 

Edited by 4000
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Its all very impressive, but to echo BigRedX, I’m thousands of times more impressed by the fact that Kate Bush wrote The Man With The Child in His Eyes at 13. And recorded it - live with a full orchestra - at 16. 

Let's be honest here - either would have been a pretty amazing thing to have done at any age.  Fantastic tune.

A

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 4000 said:

Many years ago that was one of my bass practice pieces. I certainly wasn’t 13, but then I didn’t start playing until I was 17. 😉 

You can play that Paganini piece on bass?? That is impressive! I agree with you that writing and composition is hugely admirable and should be highly commended, but I also think that natural ability plays a part. A lot of artistic people have a natural ability to write and compose. I have a friend who’s a fantastic songwriter and incredible drawing artist, it’s not something he’s particularly had to work on, it just comes naturally. The piece I posted impresses me due to the sheer amount of work and practice she must have put in to get it nailed. Not saying that anyone who writes doesn’t put the work in, far from it. The fact she’s 13 also stuns me. At 13 I was probably still eating mud and trying to impress girls by doing impossible stunts on my bmx, usually resulting in broken bones and cuts and bruises. I almost can’t compute the amount of bedroom hours she spent learning that at such a young age. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ern500evo said:

You can play that Paganini piece on bass?? That is impressive! I agree with you that writing and composition is hugely admirable and should be highly commended, but I also think that natural ability plays a part. A lot of artistic people have a natural ability to write and compose. I have a friend who’s a fantastic songwriter and incredible drawing artist, it’s not something he’s particularly had to work on, it just comes naturally. The piece I posted impresses me due to the sheer amount of work and practice she must have put in to get it nailed. Not saying that anyone who writes doesn’t put the work in, far from it. The fact she’s 13 also stuns me. At 13 I was probably still eating mud and trying to impress girls by doing impossible stunts on my bmx, usually resulting in broken bones and cuts and bruises. I almost can’t compute the amount of bedroom hours she spent learning that at such a young age. 

Oh I can’t imagine I could now.😂 I haven’t practised like that for nearly three decades and some physical issues slow me down a bit these days, but there was a time when I could, yes. Putting in the work does help though; for the first several years of playing I was practising probably 6 hours a day. I don’t think playing fast was ever an issue for me. Certain feels/styles were far always more problematic; I’d struggle to do an even vaguely convincing Bernard Edwards - who is one of my favourite players - even now. 

I agree about the artistic thing. I was always artistic and was expected to make a career in art before I fell out of love with it (thank you Maidstone!😡) and I wrote songs from the first day I could play a note. I could say I never really had to work at either but I’m not sure that’s true as I drew for the pleasure of it absolutely non-stop as a child. That’s the practice, although it didn’t feel like it. I think most artistic people ‘practice’ incessantly but don’t view it as such.