Why become a member? ×

OK, you can all give up the bass and go home now

skankdelvar

That's the trouble with t'internet. I spend loads of time watching all these astonishing players and thinking "Why do I bother? I'll never be able to get remotely near to that". I suppose it's satisfying to be able to steal the odd (easy) lick from them, but it's not much in the grand scheme of things. Ah well.

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

9 year-old on a short-scale. Yes, her dad's a music teacher and he's mates with Victor Wooten but still... 

Can we post this every time someone says "I need a short scale bass because I have little fingers/small hands/short arms"?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Velarian said:

In a similar vein, I watched this yesterday. 15 years old. It’s enough to make you sick…

He clearly has chops to burn. I would love to be able to play like that but I cannot even think that fast let alone make my fingers move under command that fast. He knows that people will be checking him out. So I am watching it and thinking "some of those string bends are not translating to what I am hearing". I am aware that this sounds like some overweight never-was, who generally has to correct his own spelling, on an internet forum saying "yeah, not all that mate". But that is not my point. He clearly is all that, so why not get a video together which is real?

2 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

9 year-old on a short-scale. Yes, her dad's a music teacher and he's mates with Victor Wooten but still... 

She has a series of YouTube vids, and they're all just as good as this one.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvrmr8Nfd86dG7pnSHC7c6Q/videos

Oh, and yes, it is sickening!

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

I’m no fan of the gurning bass face and playing to the camera stylings of most of the Insta/TikTok crowd if I’m honest, even when the playing is out of this world. I love this vid though. The difference? She actually genuinely looks like she’s having fun…

All astounding players for sure but I wonder, if they are so busy practicing, that they are perhaps missing out on the rich tapestry of experience that makes up a life well lived? After all, if you are so busy on bass you’ll have no time to stagger up to the graveyard, get pished on Buckfast and stage a sock puppet play about the Chinese occupation of Tibet then something is wrong. Unless you amass a rich smorgasbord of experience what will these empty prodigies write songs about?

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

The little 9 year old girl is a joy to watch.

The 15 year old lad has a great technique, but it just leaves me cold.

I remember many years ago when I was playing second guitar in a band and we were auditioning for a bass player, the guy was a bedroom player and had some seriously good technique, as demonstrated while we were setting up, unfortunately, when it came to playing with a band he was just awful, bad timing, couldn’t lock in with the drummer.

• Like 1

I recall seeing a film one time about 2 competing pianists. One of the pianists was "brilliant" and technically perfect, but his playing lacked feeling (the film was almost like a metaphor for the technically proficient but sometimes robotic classicist vs the improvising jazzer). While the other pianist often made mistakes and always felt inferior to the technically perfect one. The latter was the one that was always preferred because he had something to say, whereas the former was more like a robot. It just goes to show that it's rarely about being perfect, but about having something to say in your playing. Music is expression. If you'e got nothing musically to say, it doesn't matter how good your chops are.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 3

Music isn’t a competition. Just enjoy what you do, and all will be OK.

So many musicians make their cash posting videos on YouTube, but that’s not what music is all about.

Played a blues jam a few weeks ago (and I normally hate blues jams) and it was great. Players of all ages and abilities with a packed pub and an appreciative audience. I’m sure a wunderkind knocking out fusion solos in their bedroom makes business sense, but it’s pretty far removed from actual music making.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mikel said:

Yawn. Most of these so called wonder kids do nothing with their talent when it matters. Something else will come along and they move on.

It’s often because they’re forced to do it. As a a child who was made to play cricket and go sailing (in ice cold water!) I know what that feels like. I found music was something I did alone and love it for that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mikel said:

Yawn. Most of these so called wonder kids do nothing with their talent when it matters. Something else will come along and they move on.

I see the sun is smiling on your morning mug of compassion today!

Kid looked overjoyed and made me smile. If her talent makes her and her friends and family happy that’s doing plenty.

• Like 6

Love the video of the kids. All these videos though make me think am I the only person in the world who plays bass without making a 'face'? Some of the adults look like they're climaxing every time they play above the 12th. Maybe I just don't enjoy it enough!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1