Why become a member? ×

Looking to buy EUB. Any suggestions for a model and where to buy in Europe?

Niksonbass

Hey guys :) so I'm a bass player who is dying to learn double bass. And want to get electric one, not too expensive but not cheapest one either. More of mid range to start with. I've seen Harley Benton DB02, seemed like a good start. Any suggestions? And also where in Europe apart from Thomann to look for EUB? Thanks guys and have a great day!

Do you want it to sound like a double bass or like a fretless bass guitar?

The cheaper EUB's and even the NS instruments are basically very long

fretless basses..........

Harley and Stagg etc are of poor quality, the Steinberger family is good,

but when I saw myself on video with such a plank I immediately bought a real double bass 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 03/11/2021 at 13:51, Niksonbass said:

Hey guys :) so I'm a bass player who is dying to learn double bass. And want to get electric one, not too expensive but not cheapest one either. More of mid range to start with. I've seen Harley Benton DB02, seemed like a good start. Any suggestions? And also where in Europe apart from Thomann to look for EUB? Thanks guys and have a great day!

Hi mate, I doubt you'll find a better place than Thomann for the stick basses. They might not be great quality, but at least they have the neck dimensions and fingerboard of an acoustic double bass, so you can play pizzicato and arco, albeit with a tendency to spin a bit while playing. Mid-range there's the Warwick Triumph Lite, but I've never tried one and reviews vary wildly like most other things. Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

I was like you, years and years of bass guitar playing including fretless but finally took the plunge and got a second hand NS NXT.  Despite what members here have said about it being a glorified bass guitar, the reaction I have so far on its outings is very favourable. It certainly doesn’t feel like a bass guitar, the 41” scale is challenging, but it does have discreet dot markers in the note positions which certainly helps to ensure your in tune and not floundering around on a totally bare board.

• Like 2

On 04/11/2021 at 18:58, petebassist said:

Mid-range there's the Warwick Triumph Lite, but I've never tried one and reviews vary wildly like most other things.

I have got one.

When it comes to the neck (Eb), scale length etc. it does feel like a DB, and it can be bowed. The tone is another matter...

Being over 6' tall I had to extend the end pin.

• Like 2

I've had an NS Design CR4 since they first came out. It's a great bass but doesn't sound like a acoustic upright. The latest Yamaha gets close but is v expensive. 

The NS is a good starting place to get into upright playing and the fingerboard dots really help. To help with the EQ I use a TC Electronic Bodyrez which is designed to put life back into piezo pickup instruments. 

The strings that came with it new, were very light and it was well worth changing for a heavier set, especially for bowing.

Mysteriously they've put bass guitar tuners on it which really are too small for the job, but I wouldn't fret(!) about that and it's certainly not a deal breaker.

• Like 1

@Boodang, I'm intrigued by your comment that the tuners on the NS upright are too small for the job. Could you elaborate?

I have an NS NXT5 and the Schaller (I think) tuners do an absolutely fine job, including on the low B. I played the D'Addario hybrids it came with for years, then changed to the new GHS strings especially created for NS uprights; in the 9 years I've had the bass it has never given me any trouble with keeping the tuning or problems with installing/retaining the strings, etc.

20211107_220957.jpg.da3b82bd61dad067d974d210e88d70aa.jpg

This is what double bass machine heads should look like!

I'm using Pirastro Obligato medium tension (30kg for the E) strings. The E string is 3mm in diameter.

The schaller machine head tuning shaft is 7.5mm in diameter and about 12mm in length.

A DB machine head is at least 10mm in diameter and approx 25mm in length.

Consequence of which is that on the NS CR the strings are squeezed onto the tuning shafts and only just fit. In fact to get the E string on I had to use the 'A' string tuner in order to accommodate enough of the silk winding, and use the 'E' tuner for the A string.

No problem with stability, just space on the tuning shaft.

In short, EUBs shouldn't have bass guitar sized tuners on them like the NS does.

• Like 1

Hmm, I see your point. If it's a matter of space rather than 'being man enough for the job', I think it's fair to conclude that only a real scroll with real DB machine heads will be large enough. My Eminence has a tiny pseudo-scroll where it was a massive PITA to fit a set of Silver Slaps when I decided I didn't like the steel strings it came with. My NXT5 has limited space on the actual tuners, as you say, but at least its modern design offers one invaluable advantage, once you find a set of strings that fits: the headstock is open at the back, which means finger access from almost all sides is very easy.

Mind you, even with a full size scroll, @Happy Jack and I have to work as a team in order to change the strings to either of his 'proper' double basses. We wouldn't want do be doing the job on our own, the double bass will fight back and win! 😱

On 07/11/2021 at 23:13, Boodang said:

I still think there should be a campaign to make sure EUBs are made with proper tuners.

In the case of the Triumph Lite, the supplied tuners are a bit rubbish but they can be replaced (https://www.thomann.de/gb/rubner_double_bass_machines_brass.htm). Before and after photos below.

IMG_2440.jpeg

IMG_2572.jpeg

• Like 1

@Niksonbass -  I know there's nothing more annoying than a person on the internet who, when you ask about X, suggests that you buy Y instead. But I'm going to do it anyway and ask why you're looking for an EUB as opposed to a DB? This is definitely not a criticism of EUBs, which can sound great and are a bit more convenient than a DB, but just thought I'd ask since you mentioned DB in your original post.

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2022 at 10:04, jacko said:

@tinyd maybe he lives in a small flat. I have quite a big house and my DB still takes up far too much room. 

Absolutely. I have a DB and there are plenty of times that I wish it were smaller. Reason I asked was just because the OP mentioned DB and someone on here gave me good advice when I was looking to start that if you want to play DB and can make it work, then get a DB since there's nothing quite the same as pulling sounds out of a big piece of wood...

None of which detracts from the fact that I'd love an EUB as well if money/space allowed.

Check out the thread about Kala u basses. 

Don't exactly look or feel like a double bass and won't get you closer to being able to play one .... But sound wise!  Shockingly realistic.

I guess it depends on whether you want to sound like a double bass or feel like you're playing one.

I tried a stagg and it was ok. Tried an alembic one that was almost in the "uncanny alley" of almost being right. Also played an NXT and, double bass like or not, it was a lovely thing to play.

Edited by NickA

• 2 months later...

Just over a week ago I bought a Stagg EUB online. The neck was terrible, there was an obvious bump on the E string so when I would play a G it would be almost muted no matter what I did.

On top of that, it was very hard to play. The neck is very big. I had set string height at 6-7mm which I understand is sensible for an upright. My left arm was hurting after minutes. Granted, this is certainly mostly down to the fact thay I do not know the right technique.

The seller seemed accomodating: they said they could either fix the neck or replace the instrument. I could have gone all in (have it replaced, spend 150-200 for soft strings, try to learn proper technique) bit I gave up. I am returning it for good. I am a bit paranoid about pain because od a very bad tendonitis years ago. In the future I will try other, more pricey options if I have the opportunity and see wether the problem is the Stagg or wether EUBs/DBs are just not for me.

So I guess what I want to say is: careful with the Stagg. Should you want to get one, try it first

Similar here. Bought a Stagg, then a Gear4Music own brand - both shipped damaged, both badly made and nasty to play, lumpy fingerboard and buzzing everywhere.  

Tendonitis is a bastad - light strings do makes a massive difference, as does set up and proper technique - which isn’t always the easiest to achieve on EUB. 

Try a lesson with a jazz oriented upright player. As well as grounding you on technique, you’d get a chance to play their well set up DB with most likely lighter strings - and get an idea of how different / easier this would be to play than what you’ve experienced so far. 

• Like 1

On 15/03/2022 at 00:19, Paolo85 said:

These stick basses with end pins do tend to spin, so you have to strain your 'fretting' hand and wrist trying to stabilize the neck as well as play the note. As to quality, G4M used to sell loads of damaged stick basses that had fallen apart before they even left the warehouse on auction sites. I'm not keen on EUBs on stands, but at least it frees up your hand to use a proper upright bass technique i.e. using the weight of your arm more to hold down the strings.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2022 at 09:36, petebassist said:

These stick basses with end pins do tend to spin, so you have to strain your 'fretting' hand and wrist trying to stabilize the neck as well as play the note. As to quality, G4M used to sell loads of damaged stick basses that had fallen apart before they even left the warehouse on auction sites. I'm not keen on EUBs on stands, but at least it frees up your hand to use a proper upright bass technique i.e. using the weight of your arm more to hold down the strings.

About this:  Many "stick" EUBs come with side-frames of one sort or another, intended to space the instrument off the player's body.  It ought to be possible to make a plug-in side-frame which hooked into the player's belt?