Why become a member? ×

N.A D. Ashdown ABM 600

artisan

Just taken delivery of my new Ashdown ABM 600 evoIV & am very happy with so far,build quality seems spot on.

However I'm stuck at work & won't get home until late,all week too so won't get to fire it up until Saturday morning 🙃 

I have a gig on Saturday night too so straight into the deep end with it & looking forward too hearing it in a gig environment.

Hoping I really like it after a few years from switching to class D due to an arthritic knee which has now been successfully replaced 😁

Bring on the "heft" 👍

20211103_111729.jpg

20211103_111624.jpg

Edited by artisan
  • Like 11

I've used my ABM500 II for years now. The whole ABM series are great amps. Yeah, shape off, start flat on the EQ and don't be afraid to wind up the input gain on these!

I usually keep the valve drive down at the 9 or 10 o'clock position. The EQ possibilities on these are vast.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NAS Bass said:

I've used my ABM500 II for years now. The whole ABM series are great amps. Yeah, shape off, start flat on the EQ and don't be afraid to wind up the input gain on these!

I usually keep the valve drive down at the 9 or 10 o'clock position. The EQ possibilities on these are vast.

Thanks for the info 👍 

I will almost certainly crank the valve drive pretty high as I play in a classic Black Sabbath covers band 😁🤟

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

I find that the drive sounds better when the EQ isn’t too bass heavy 

I saw an Ashdown demo where they cranked the input gain and drive gain for a filthy sound.

VU meter needle was permanently in the red !! 

Now that sounds like my kind of setting 😁

• Like 1

If you keep plenty of mids in your amp tone, a touch of Sub Harmonic will make it sound really good too.

Better for standard tuning though I find. 

Problem I find at home is you switch out the Shape button ( ON setting ) and you get that deep full tone that scoops the mids. It sounds amazing but don’t try it with the band as your sound will disappear!

The more mid focused or flat EQ sound of the ABM is where the best sound lays and where in the band you get heard 

Lol,I'm an old hand at this malarkey now after 36 years or so of gigging😁

I've been using a Darkglass Microtubes 900 for the last 3 years but after using an old class A B at a new rehearsal room on Monday I notice there was so much "more" to the tone,hence my purchase 😀 

Can't wait to unleash it 

Edited by artisan
  • Like 2

My settings that seem to work well 

I play with a pick so factor that in

The EQ flat sound is pretty good, I start there and add a bit more bass and treble .. this works for me … maybe the treble slider isn’t that important as it’s up a tad 

B3E8B506-C644-4665-B84C-7904CC957E19.thumb.jpeg.ef6c80d3df81d76e285c9d6573be1e72.jpeg

Edited by BassAdder27

I’m very happy with my abm 600 iv, one reason Is the new EQ, this 9 Band. seems so different to the previous model going from memory I found the previous model always a little hard to get a good modern bright sound out of, not so of this new one but this is going by memory. Does anyone else also find this? 

• Like 1

I loved my old ABM600....it's one of the few amps that i've moved on but would happily buy again at some point. Not too heavy, some proper non class D wallop and (unlike the previous ABM models that i could never get rid of the woolly sound from) they have a lovely valvey sparkle available if you want it. They are so much more versatile than people give them credit for.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chrisan2 said:

I’m very happy with my abm 600 iv, one reason Is the new EQ, this 9 Band. seems so different to the previous model going from memory I found the previous model always a little hard to get a good modern bright sound out of, not so of this new one but this is going by memory. Does anyone else also find this? 

Yes, I had a couple of 500s as backup amps and found the same.

On 05/11/2021 at 17:44, BassAdder27 said:

not sure I would run the Sub IN 

It's a funny one, the Sub feature. I quite like it as a "lazy octaver", I call it that because there's a song I'm doing where I want a clean octave down effect and it's easier to push this button than mess about with my Helix to find the octaver that isn't farty. Can't imagine using it as an always-on though, that would be too much.