Why become a member? ×

Is it safe to use DI from Ashdown ABM EVO II head without cab connected?

AinsleyWalker

I've been reading conflicting answers to this question.. I was considering using my Ashdown ABM EVO II 500 as an on-desk DI option without a cab, however I'm not sure if it's safe to do so. 

Some sources say you can run DI out of solid state amps/hybrid amps without a cab/load box, where as you should not do this for valve amps*
Other sources say that you should not run a head without a cab at all, whether they are solid state, hybrid or tube. 

If anyone has the answer I'd be grateful, thanks

Edited by AinsleyWalker

40 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Thanks, good shout. 

24 minutes ago, gjones said:

I know Guy Pratt uses his ABM as a pre amp, in his music videos. I'm not sure if it's a later model than yours though. I'm sure the nice man from Ashdown will be along soon, to give you the correct answer.

Thanks for the reply, mine was built 2006 (checked serial with Ashdown previously). 

Edited by AinsleyWalker

8 minutes ago, Merton said:

It’s fine.

The valve is in the preamp; it’s valve power stages (or, actually, any power stage with an output transformer) which needs a load. This uses MOSFETs so will be fine seeing an infinite impedance.

This is in line with some of what I read, thanks for confirming.