Jump to content

Kingy back on the Jaydees?


Lord Percy

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

I was lucky enough to be centre stage front row for Level 42 at Sheffield City Hall last night after keeping hold of the tickets for 2 years. In fact, my seat was bang in front of Mark so I had no problem checking his gear out (not that gear madam!) and was surprised to see him running his old Jaydees through a Mark Bass rig, not a Status or TC in sight all evening.

 

This may seem irrelevant but it surprised me - anyone know why? 

FB_IMG_1635879332778.jpg

FB_IMG_1635879365751.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As it's the first single delayed 40th anniversary tour, it's quite logical Mark King is using his Jaydee basses as he is free to use whatever bass he wants.

 

That's certainly the best gift he can make to his fans.

 

The amp endorsement is another thing as it's MarkBass so he MUST be using them, but now I guess everybody seeing him live is amazed by the sound of the Jaydees through his new set up if you're close and facing it.

 

I never liked his awful Trace Elliot sound.

Edited by Hellzero
Live not lived...
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Lord Percy said:

Hi all,

 

I was lucky enough to be centre stage front row for Level 42 at Sheffield City Hall last night after keeping hold of the tickets for 2 years. In fact, my seat was bang in front of Mark so I had no problem checking his gear out (not that gear madam!) and was surprised to see him running his old Jaydees through a Mark Bass rig, not a Status or TC in sight all evening.

 

This may seem irrelevant but it surprised me - anyone know why? 

 

 

Seeing as you had a front row seat, right in front of him... I'm surprised you didn't ask him during the intro to 'The Chinese Way' when there is no Bass going on...

:D

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

As it's the first single delayed 40th anniversary tour, it's quite logical Mark King is using his Jaydee basses as he is free to use whatever bass he wants.

 

That's certainly the best gift he can make to his fans.

 

The amp endorsement is another thing as it's MarkBass so he MUST be using them, but now I guess everybody seeing him lived is amazed by the sound of the Jaydees through his new set up if you're close and facing it.

 

I never liked his awful Trace Elliot sound.

I was at the front pretty much in line with Mark's two STD104HR cabs and whilst the bass was clear the vox and guitar were too quiet. Using IEM is great for the band but as we were between the PA at the front the mix wasn't as good as it could've been. Mark even said that his IEM meant he couldn't hear the audience.

Edited by Sparky Mark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mark changed to Markbass about 2 years ago, after a gig in Quebec where his TC head failed (not for the first time by all accounts) and he got whizzed off. He literally emailed Markbass as he flew back to the UK and they had the endorsement sorted within weeks.

I know this coz the drummist in my band is the L42 drum tech 🤓

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Lord Percy said:

Hi all,

 

I was lucky enough to be centre stage front row for Level 42 at Sheffield City Hall last night after keeping hold of the tickets for 2 years. In fact, my seat was bang in front of Mark so I had no problem checking his gear out (not that gear madam!) and was surprised to see him running his old Jaydees through a Mark Bass rig, not a Status or TC in sight all evening.

 

This may seem irrelevant but it surprised me - anyone know why? 

FB_IMG_1635879332778.jpg

FB_IMG_1635879365751.jpg

 

.. my first "Level" gig was @ Hammersmith Odeon in 1990, and up until this latest tour, I had never heard nor see him play Jaydee Basses at any of the numerous gigs I've seen over the last 30 or so years'. In that sense.. about bl**dy time!! Obviously, I'm happy.. they're great Basses.. and they're sounding really quite good through the Mark Bass gear too.

 

I wonder if there will be either a CD or DVD ? 🤔  #level42

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, ambient said:

I’ve always preferred the sound of his JDs to the Status basses.

 

I’ve never liked the sound of TE gear, I do like the MB sound though. 

Liking both Markbass and Trace Elliot amps is not mutually exclusive. I have gigged for 13 years using Markbass amps and cabs and have recently used my Trace Elliot Series 6 AH200 which sounds fantastic through my Bergantino cabs. I had a disappointing experience with the SMX Series back in the 90s but the Series 6 is way better for me. Of course, I know a lot more now about EQ and hopefully my playing technique has improved. In my opinion only, Mark King sounded better at the Brixton Ace in 1983 with his JD and TE rig than he did at Cambridge through the Markbass. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Merton said:

Mark changed to Markbass about 2 years ago, after a gig in Quebec where his TC head failed (not for the first time by all accounts) and he got whizzed off. He literally emailed Markbass as he flew back to the UK and they had the endorsement sorted within weeks.

I know this coz the drummist in my band is the L42 drum tech 🤓

I heard that even when he was with TC, he was actually plugged in to a Markbass LM2 off stage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Does Mark King's choice of amps matter?

 

Unless he's playing small <200 capacity venues, 99% of what the audience hears of the bass guitar will come from the PA and he's wearing IEMs.

Agreed, but we were standing right at the front of stage and not hearing the PA columns located at far left and right. I'm sure the band had an excellent mix in their IEMs so for them amps are almost irrelevant. Before IEMs became commonplace musicians used their backline for  their stage sound much more and the audience at the front heard more of that. With everything DI into the PA and IEM the majority of the audience wouldn't care if the on stage amps were totally silent.

Edited by Sparky Mark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/11/2021 at 22:04, Hellzero said:

Did he shrink as he looks smaller ?

Yes he does :lol: it probably doesn't help that the bodies of the old series 1 Jaydees are huuuuge :lol: they always did look massive on him, even back in the early 80s when he was full of muscles.

 

12 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

I had a disappointing experience with the SMX Series back in the 90s but the Series 6 is way better for me. 

I had exactly the opposite experience... the SMX is still my favourite pre-amp ever by an absolute mile, but I wouldn't take an S6 head if it was free.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/11/2021 at 21:15, Lord Percy said:

Hi all,

 

I was lucky enough to be centre stage front row for Level 42 at Sheffield City Hall last night after keeping hold of the tickets for 2 years. In fact, my seat was bang in front of Mark so I had no problem checking his gear out (not that gear madam!) and was surprised to see him running his old Jaydees through a Mark Bass rig, not a Status or TC in sight all evening.

 

This may seem irrelevant but it surprised me - anyone know why? 

FB_IMG_1635879332778.jpg

FB_IMG_1635879365751.jpg


My understanding was he sold the Starchild ages ago. What’s going on there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/11/2021 at 10:00, Hellzero said:

As it's the first single delayed 40th anniversary tour, it's quite logical Mark King is using his Jaydee basses as he is free to use whatever bass he wants.

 

That's certainly the best gift he can make to his fans.

 

The amp endorsement is another thing as it's MarkBass so he MUST be using them, but now I guess everybody seeing him live is amazed by the sound of the Jaydees through his new set up if you're close and facing it.

 

I never liked his awful Trace Elliot sound.


I thought his Trace sound was probably his best. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I had exactly the opposite experience... the SMX is still my favourite pre-amp ever by an absolute mile, but I wouldn't take an S6 head if it was free.

I'm happy to accept that I probably had no idea how best to use my TE SMX rig (AH350SMX, 410 and 115 cabs). I saw a band in a pub in the 90s where the bassist was using a Warwick NT Thumb through a Hartke AH3500, 410, 115 rig and the punch, lows and clarity amazed me. Within a month the TE was gone and I had (still have) a Thumb and the same Hartke rig that I loved using for next 15 years.

If you come across any free of charge Series 6 AH200 heads please let me know, I love 'em. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/11/2021 at 13:26, Sparky Mark said:

I was at the front pretty much in line with Mark's two STD104HR cabs and whilst the bass was clear the vox and guitar were too quiet. Using IEM is great for the band but as we were between the PA at the front the mix wasn't as good as it could've been. Mark even said that his IEM meant he couldn't hear the audience.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...