Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2021?

Al Krow

Best purchase - never having owned a P bass, and with a new project on the horizon which would benefit, I dipped my toe in to the extent of buying a Squier Classic Vibe 60s P bass, on the basis that it's cheap enough to just get chucked under the bed if I don't like it.

And? It's great! Body is a bit light maybe, hardware is a tiny bit cheap feeling, but it plays and sounds great. Neck is very nice, finish on the fretting first class, generally way better than I expected. Highly reccommended

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

The best purchase is difficult and I'd struggle to choose between my SR5 Special and my G&L CLF L-2000. 

The worst isn't really a "worst" as such, more "biggest disappointment" but I picked up a lime green Charvel Sam Dimas PJ Bass that was so prohibitively heavy I simply couldn't use it. Such a shame as it was an excellent bass with brilliant build quality. 

I also  bought an Ampeg PF-800 head which is a wild departure  from my usual Mark Bass. It's built like a tank and sounds brilliant, just not sure I've particularly gelled with it yet. 

The pleasant surprise purchase of the year was my Laney Digbeth Preamp pedal. My expectations  were low to say the least but I couldn't have been more wrong. It's a wonderful bit of kit and I couldn't recommend them highly enough. 

8565BB45-57E9-45FC-848B-EF0262DCEB1A.jpeg

B39366CD-3E62-4386-8B27-1D3BB19FD3FC.jpeg

Love the look of both of those basses! And that Laney Digbeth Pre seems to have finally nailed that elusive "bottled valve amp" sound in a package that doesn't break the bank - definitely been added to my 2022 wish list!

6 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Well, there's no doubt that the best bass gear puchase of 2021 for me was the Becos Stella compressor that I got from none other than the man himself @Al Krow.  And since it's the only piece of bass gear I've bought this year, it's also the worst. Note to self: Need to get out more.

Yes. Andy is still looking very much looking forward to getting that beer with you when you do fancy getting out! 

Hope the Stella is living up to expectations. If you want any tips on it, then feel free to drop @51m0n a line 😁

10 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

The best purchase is difficult and I'd struggle to choose between my SR5 Special and my G&L CLF L-2000. 

The worst isn't really a "worst" as such, more "biggest disappointment" but I picked up a lime green Charvel Sam Dimas PJ Bass that was so prohibitively heavy I simply couldn't use it. Such a shame as it was an excellent bass with brilliant build quality. 

I also  bought an Ampeg PF-800 head which is a wild departure  from my usual Mark Bass. It's built like a tank and sounds brilliant, just not sure I've particularly gelled with it yet. 

The pleasant surprise purchase of the year was my Laney Digbeth Preamp pedal. My expectations  were low to say the least but I couldn't have been more wrong. It's a wonderful bit of kit and I couldn't recommend them highly enough. 

8565BB45-57E9-45FC-848B-EF0262DCEB1A.jpeg

B39366CD-3E62-4386-8B27-1D3BB19FD3FC.jpeg

You have had a good year.

On 14/11/2021 at 09:09, krispn said:

Fender Rumble 210 combo - bought this after doing a ‘back line provided’ gig which had one supplied and I was really impressed with the sound, not just how well it took my pedals but more importantly with the variety of sounds I could coax from the amp itself. It really is a cracking and very capable unit. If it came with a foot switch it’d be just about the perfect no nonsense gigging combo (I got mine used locally and it came with a cover so was pretty chuffed about that). Most of my gigs are iem these days but it’s still really nice to have some bass on stage as I know I enjoy it and the drummer always prefers it too so the Rumble is a great sounding way to get that on stage presence in a portable package without compromising on sound quality. Why more folks aren’t using this combo I’ll never know. I’d honestly consider getting the matching 210 ext cab but I’m unlikely to need it! 

Spark booster (4 knob version) - total low gain dream pedal for me and one of the best voiced 2 band eq’s for bass too IMO and in conjunction with the MID setting it really pushes the low gain/low mids thing. For me this is a damn fine always on type pedal to allow the bass to sit right where you want it in the mix. I have A/B’d with the Rumble built in drive and both do the low gain always on sound really well. Had the Spark at the pub band gig and would switch between it and the built in drive on the Rumble - both worked a treat and did a similar thing but it their own way with either being a brilliant solution to getting that sound.

My Rumble combo and Spark Booster pedal are also two of my best purchases in recent years! Rumble - terrific sound, portability and value for money. The Spark Booster just adds the right amount of light overdrive to raise your bass through the mix. Excellent stuff!

• Like 1

Additional to my post on page 1, I would like to elevate the TC Electronic MojoMojo overdrive pedal to equal best purchase with my G&L CLF L-1000.  Used them together on Saturday night and it was brilliant, what a pairing.  I am in love with the voice switch on the MojoMojo - in the back position it's a simple overdrive for when you need a little boost for the chorus of a song or light/dark during a song at any time.  In the forward position, it's a beast, rorty and gnarly and great for those songs where you really need to dirty it up - think Chelsea Dagger or Song 2.  Absolutely loving this pedal, does the job of two in my limited experience of effects.

The official description of the voice switch is "Select between true natural overdrive (up) or a juicy tone that backs off the bass a little (down)" - as it is designed as a guitar pedal I wonder if they are using the term "bass" in a guitar kind of way which means "mids" for basses.  I think that would go some way to explaining why it ends up having such a distinctive effect when used with a bass.  Whichever frequency/ies they're scooping out with the switch, it's very bass friendly.

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Additional to my post on page 1, I would like to elevate the TC Electronic MojoMojo overdrive pedal to equal best purchase with my G&L CLF L-1000.  Used them together on Saturday night and it was brilliant, what a pairing.  I am in love with the voice switch on the MojoMojo - in the back position it's a simple overdrive for when you need a little boost for the chorus of a song or light/dark during a song at any time.  In the forward position, it's a beast, rorty and gnarly and great for those songs where you really need to dirty it up - think Chelsea Dagger or Song 2.  Absolutely loving this pedal, does the job of two in my limited experience of effects.

The official description of the voice switch is "Select between true natural overdrive (up) or a juicy tone that backs off the bass a little (down)" - as it is designed as a guitar pedal I wonder if they are using the term "bass" in a guitar kind of way which means "mids" for basses.  I think that would go some way to explaining why it ends up having such a distinctive effect when used with a bass.  Whichever frequency/ies they're scooping out with the switch, it's very bass friendly.

I think it’s the same with the Spark. It’s voiced in a way which aids the bass but by not being a bass specific EQ boost (which is usually way down at about 40Hz) its likely more naturally voiced for guitar and set in and about 80-100Hz which is much more forgiving but has enough make up bass in the EQ to keep the lows in a place which still works. I did a little basic snooping via my DAW and that’s what I was finding. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Trusty is good, nice little unit

Its a bit overkill for my needs but i've had since new back in the old days. I only use it for 3 sounds.

1.   clean with slight compression with the ability to access delay, reverb, chorus and distortion at touch of a button

2,   Ric thru an overdriven Ampeg into 2x15's with the same access as above. This setting gives me a tone of really pushing the 15's to their flapping limit.

3.   envelope filter for use in Virginia Plain in the 70's Glam band.

The rest is all for a bit of fun at home.

Dave

• Like 1

On 14/11/2021 at 15:48, chris_b said:

This.

Lately, I'm finding that after buying stuff and comparing it to what I already have, I am left wondering, "Does the difference really matter to me?" Even the gear that is significantly "better" might not be worth the price tag, when it's only me that will notice the difference.

It's dawning on me that I've reached the limit of my bass gear wants/needs. I feel strangely relieved! 

I've tried so many pedals in the last couple of years I think I'm finally at the point of not being fussed about trying new ones as I'm fairly sure they'll only be marginally different to what I've already got/used.....trouble is, now I'm eying up different Bass guitars - which is a whole other level of cost and hassle to buy and sell. In a few years I might have tried enough of them to learn they are only marginally different and there's not much point! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I've tried so many pedals in the last couple of years I think I'm finally at the point of not being fussed about trying new ones as I'm fairly sure they'll only be marginally different to what I've already got/used.....trouble is, now I'm eying up different Bass guitars - which is a whole other level of cost and hassle to buy and sell. In a few years I might have tried enough of them to learn they are only marginally different and there's not much point! 

Yep

it would have to be very special at this point for me for other guitars and other equipment in a lot of areas to peak my interest 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Oh

I May have also gotten another of the best Muli-fx pedal on the market - could be this year or last, I think this year

You've clearly been spending too much time in proximity to a black hole or in a Tardis, Doc...my recollection is more like over 3 years ago when you, and a bunch of others, first got a DP3X!

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You've clearly been spending too much time in proximity to a black hole or in a Tardis, Doc...my recollection is more like over 3 years ago when you, and a bunch of others, first got a DP3X!

Hence the word another young padawan…..attention to detail my good fellow and you may become a master……!

Edited by Cuzzie

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Hence the word another young padawan…..attention to detail my good fellow and you may become a master……!

Ah two DP3Xs at once? Oooh very posh! The only (self-proclaimed) multifx I've ever had more than one of at once are the cheap-as-chips / incredibly good value Zoom units. 

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Ah two DP3Xs at once? Oooh very posh! The only (self-proclaimed) multifx I've ever had more than one of at once are the cheap-as-chips / incredibly good value Zoom units. 

Not posh - fun, price point is irrelevant really, as that and value is all relative

On 14/11/2021 at 12:40, Quatschmacher said:

Moog have just made their Model D app run on Mac now so well worth a shot. 

Is it available to run on mac or just ipad/iphone

If i could add it to Logic as a plug in that could be really handy - I don't mind the ipad version but I like to have physical keys as I'm still a little clumsy without a real target... plus I have the notes written on my keyboard which helps me a lot :)

**Actually if there was a way to hook the keyboard to my ipad that would be even better. Are any such interfaces available which would allow me to use my little Novation keyboard to my ipad? I should really google myself but I'm out and about just now. I'll do a proper search later!

Edited by krispn

3 minutes ago, krispn said:

Is it available to run on mac or just ipad/iphone

If i could add it to Logic as a plug in that could be really handy - I don't mind the ipad version but I like to have physical keys as I'm still a little clumsy without a real target... plus I have the notes written on my keyboard which helps me a lot :)

It is now available on MacOS(whereas previously only available as an iOS app),

2796F2D1-63EF-4556-B4B7-574C0431DA42.png