Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2021?

Al Krow

3 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Is it worth getting the hipshot replacement bridge and ditching the neck pickup surrounding hardware? 

I don't think so, a new bass should be good to go in my view (especially a >£2k bass like a Rick), not the starting point for extra spends and modding. In any case the slab edges and heavily varnished rear of the neck are not to my taste either. I just made a mistake

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Clarky said:

I don't think so, a new bass should be good to go in my view (especially a >£2k bass like a Rick), not the starting point for extra spends and modding. In any case the slab edges and heavily varnished neck are not to my taste either. I just made a mistake

Yeah fair enough - we've all been there. Not everything is going to pan out perfectly for everyone all the time - otherwise we'd probably all end up playing a Fender P with flats just to keep sound engineers happy!

Hope you manage to get it away for a good price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gareth said:

Best - 1982 Fullerton Precision bass in black with original case

Worst

Vox amplug - stopped working 

6EA54D66-A0A8-485B-859E-4035ECB334D0.jpeg

Oh … the one that was on my eBay list thought it was a Fullerton and I forgot about … at least it went to a good home 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Best purchase … after 12+ months and all sorts of parts related delays I got a P bass… (Bravewood) 
08915134-1897-4BC0-93E1-4D39FEDEB27E.thumb.jpeg.d5ac8b3a8397942481b6208ca18b28ae.jpeg
worst: nothing really, I picked up some secondhand strings off here to try which I hated… but that was more my taste than anything else!! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Clarky said:

I don't think so, a new bass should be good to go in my view (especially a >£2k bass like a Rick), not the starting point for extra spends and modding. In any case the slab edges and heavily varnished rear of the neck are not to my taste either. I just made a mistake

Did you try a Rick previously?

I've only ever tried one once, even though it was brand new off the shelf. It had a terrible action, so high my fingers kept slipping when fretting. 

Still fancy one though, even though it would no doubt be a mistake. I suppose you convince yourself it will all be fine. 

• Like 1

I had one in 80's but didn't keep it long at all. I just remember it not fitting in with the style of music i was playing and it seemed a bit limited in tone. I think the tonal issue was just a lack of understanding how to get the best out of it. I remember thinking the tones were all a bit samey. 

I dont recall any playability issues tho. I didnt have any issues using fingerstyle and where to rest my thumb but i usually find a comfortable spot and stick with it. It was a white one and quite a rare version. Sold it for half the price i paid new. I had more trouble getting used to a P bass with wider neck and the P pick up wasn't quite where i prefer to play the strings. I like a certain tension on the strings and a P moves my positioning back a little. Now a lot more used to a P positioning and it doesn't bother me now.

I still fancy another one but i'd definitely try before buying.

Dave

6 hours ago, Clarky said:

Thats a part, but also I cannot get my right hand comfy either with a pick or fingerstyle due to bridge mute screws and the design of the bridge pickup. By comparison, to me a Jazz or P bass is just like a pair of old slippers

I have found the Zero Mod thumbrest to be discrete and works well for fingerstyle. I have the 4003S for the contoured body which I find really comfortable.

I guess that's why I haven't taken the plunge and bought a ric yet. I mean,  I like the neck and the way it plays but I just know I'd end up changing the bridge, the electronics, the pickups and all the hardware to get it how I wanted it!

Finally took the plunge in to the realms of what some may call the ‘bass cliche’ but it’s what works for me. I got rid of quite a lot of stuff I didn’t need and bought a Fender American Original Precision (pictured) to go with my passive-converted Sire P7, a small flip top Ampeg rig (PF20T and PF115HE) and a Noble preamp (delivery due 2022). No negative purchases, but definitely some rationalisation!

I just need a second decent Precision in 2022 to finish the ‘trinity’ and I’m done 🙂

A001B62D-B3D8-4FFD-A790-83B58674952B.jpeg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, skej21 said:

Finally took the plunge in to the realms of what some may call the ‘bass cliche’ but it’s what works for me. I got rid of quite a lot of stuff I didn’t need and bought a Fender American Original Precision (pictured) to go with my passive-converted Sire P7, a small flip top Ampeg rig (PF20T and PF115HE) and a Noble preamp (delivery due 2022). No negative purchases, but definitely some rationalisation!

I just need a second decent Precision in 2022 to finish the ‘trinity’ and I’m done 🙂

Surf (green) tastic!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Surf (green) tastic!

I’m normally quite conservative (I tried to order it in a different finish), but then the wait times were over 12 months and I found this in stock online at a shop my friend works for, so tried it out and it played really nicely. Didn’t hesitate and (once I changed the tort guard to mint green to get a more traditional look) I feel like I made the right choice in the end. So much so, it’ll inform the next P bass purchase 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skej21 said:

I’m normally quite conservative (I tried to order it in a different finish), but then the wait times were over 12 months and I found this in stock online at a shop my friend works for, so tried it out and it played really nicely. Didn’t hesitate and (once I changed the tort guard to mint green to get a more traditional look) I feel like I made the right choice in the end. So much so, it’ll inform the next P bass purchase 🙂

Definitely looks a lot better with the mint green guard. Very nice indeed.

Dave

• Like 1

11 hours ago, skej21 said:

Very nice.

• Like 1

My first purchase in a few years.

I've always wanted a block and bound lpb jazz with matching headstock and now have one.

Price wise I couldnt resist as it seemed a bargain.

Starting to wonder whether it would be more suitable for a funk band and a bit flashy for me!

Not seen many of these around, serial number suggests 2004-05, possibly seen one on this site before so maybe the same one.

263971147_272336038264760_2516960104731187321_n.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Stu-khag said:

I've always wanted a block and bound lpb jazz with matching headstock and now have one.

Starting to wonder whether it would be more suitable for a funk band and a bit flashy for me!

Not seen many of these around, serial number suggests 2004-05, possibly seen one on this site before so maybe the same one.

I actually sold one of these on Basschat that I had refinished by Bass Doc up in the north east.

PM to chat and I might be able to give you more back story!

Edited by skej21

42 minutes ago, Stu-khag said:

Oooh that's nice. I like a block inlay and bound edge bass.

Dave

• Like 1

21 hours ago, skej21 said:

This informed my next P bass purchase sooner than I thought. Picked up a 3TSB American Vintage Reissue Precision bass tonight to partner it 😬

1 minute ago, skej21 said:

This informed my next P bass purchase sooner than I thought. Picked up a 3TSB American Vintage Reissue Precision bass tonight to partner it 😬

That was quick!! But are 3Ps an unholy trinity? I always thought the trinity = P + J + MM?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

The 3 classics J, P & Ric.

I'd prefer J, P & Sandberg but that's just personal choice.

Dave

I was pretty much there a couple of years back with a Ric, P and a Ray (and 3 Mustangs....), but seem to have drifted from the path now with a Status, US Sterling and a Sandberg (albeit temporarily).

• Like 1