Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2021?

Al Krow

I bought a Sansamp Bass Driver V2. It was a shootout between that, a VT Bass DI and Darkglass B7K Ultra. As a clean to mild dirt preamp/amp sim I far preferred the Bass Driver to the B7K Ultra. I also have the B3K and Alpha Omega v.1 so I didn't feel that I needed the drive of the B7K.

I was tempted of going the Helix route and I will do so eventually, particularly for recording. However, for live use the Sansamp is essentially idiot-proof and the pedal itself is nigh on bomb-proof. I'm also not willing to ditch 'real' amps and going the FRFR route just yet.

Other than that, I bought an Earthquaker Hummingbird clone that my friend built. Really nice but very limited use to certain types of sounds. 

• Like 1

Apart from the squier mustang mentioned earlier I've bought some kent armstrong pickups for one of my pj mustang basses which I love now on a mission for a set of dimarzio dp126 to go into another mustang I got in a trade recently I used to really dislike dimarzio pups but I think they will be perfect for the mustang 

Best - Sansamp Programmable Bass Driver. 3 variants of essentially the same sound (Basic, Crunch, Drive). Bombproof construction and a DI out.

Worst - Green Russian fuzz. Nothing wrong with the pedal but way too gnarly for anything I need. Pointless 'boredom' purchase.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

bit of a story...
A drummer invites me for a session a couple of weeks ago but i catch a cold so we agree to postpone. So we finally get together last Friday at the conservatory and he brings me to a room with two big cases with double basses inside. I don’t even take them out, they both look decent, i just strum both and choose one. We get to playing and i like the feel and the sound so i have a look and it turns out it was made by the great German master luthier Hoerst Gruenert. And i remember meeting Mr.G almost 20 years ago at a bass workshop in Graz where he exhibited some of his basses and even made some repairs for people on the spot. I liked his basses but they were way to expensive for my student pocket. So i enjoy the bass and the session is good, nice players, fun tunes.
Over the weekend i have a look at the Gruenert webpage and fantasize and i also remember seeing 2 Gruenert basses on the webpage of a local luthier. I check again, a used 4 and a used 5 string for sale at 18,5k…
Comes monday i’m browsing the local secondhand webmarket, a bass pops up with 3 bad photos, 2 of them of the Lion head top of the bass. Description says it’s a 1979 Gruenert. There’s no price set, just option to bid with no reserve price. And it’s less than an hour away. I write to the seller asking for better photos, more details and get a reply saying he’s not the owner, he’s just selling. The owner passed away recently, the family is selling off his gear. The first bidder says 500. By the end of the day three people are bidding, it goes up to 1,5k. I’m not beeding, i’m checking and waiting.
Tuesday morning i wake up sick with a bad cold. But i nevertheless call Mr. Gruenert at his workshop in Penzberg Germany, he confirms that he did and still does Lion head top on his basses, might really be his, flamed maple sounds right... I get another answer from the seller and he uploads good photos. It’s the real thing, it has the insignia on the back and inside, all the marks. We agree to meet on Thursday afternoon. The bids go up and are around 2k in the evening.

I wake up Wednesday morning even more sick. I manage to organize a car from a friend so I could drive up as i don’t feel like taking the trains. The bidding goes on and is almost at 3k at the end of the day.
Thursday morning... one bidder dropped out, two left. One at 1200 (?),  the other at 3150. I collect the car, pack my family and drive out.
We get to the place, the seller opens the case and there it is. A Gruenert, no doubt. It's been used and played and has some scars and a small opening between the lower rib and back, nothing major except… a major crack on the top going from the bottom up. It looks like it’s been there for a while, it will need attention sooner or later. But otherwise the bass looks, feels and sounds great, no rattling, pure sonic beauty arco and pizz. There’s dust on the soundpost so it hasn’t been worked on in a long time which means it’s stable. That crack on the top is somehow a plus, because it makes a great point for price negotiation. It is a problem but it has a solution, has been proven over hundreds of years.
The bidding stopped at 3.3k he says.

A short negotiation follows after which he takes out a french bow, a bow case, a DPA mic and points out to the quality case/bag and bass buggie transportation wheels. He’d rather sell it all as a package as he doesn’t want to deal with multiple sales and buyers. I don’t need those things except for the case maybe so i can bring it home (forgot to take my case...). The advertised item was the bass alone without the extras. A even shorter negotiation follows and i’m packing the bass and the rest of the stuff and putting it in the car!
Christmas really came early! I don’t mind making a great deal, but in my eyes this has destiny written all over it. I'm also a bit superstitious so maybe i shouldn't be writing this but i'm extremely happy and wanted to share the story with fellow BCers.  There's a great Gruenert in the house and i’m going to play it now. Happy holidays all!

gruenert.png

• Like 13

Just got this... my last purchase for 2021! The first Spector Ethos in the UK and in 'interstellar gloss' finish 😍

Matches my water bottle too 😉

Plays beautifully and sounds great... nice clear tones from the Aguilar PJ pickups and OBP2 preamp. I'll live with them for a while and then decide whether to keep as stock or upgrade to EMG-X pickups and TP/SNC Haz pre....

20211223_141156.jpg

20211223_142019.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I’ve had a big change this year, returned to gigging on bass after several years off, but my newly covid-ravaged body couldn’t manage my old basses and rig. 
Subsequently, my entire setup has changed this year. But if I had to pick just one thing that’s spoken to me the most, it would be the lovely SR1200 (and switching to IEMs!). 

The worst was the Jackson spectra that preceded the Ibanez, the build quality was shocking. I was really disappointed. 

E8F6E5B0-1BE3-4BBA-97EC-A230C0D9C23E.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, cetera said:

Just got this... my last purchase for 2021! The first Spector Ethos in the UK and in 'interstellar gloss' finish 😍

Matches my water bottle too 😉

Plays beautifully and sounds great... nice clear tones from the Aguilar PJ pickups and OBP2 preamp. I'll live with them for a while and then decide whether to keep as stock or upgrade to EMG-X pickups and TP/SNC Haz pre....

20211223_141156.jpg

20211223_142019.jpg

Also matches the fade on your profile rank badge!

F39E9849-3AA0-46E6-B43C-35AF18DD70E5.jpeg

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

NS Design NXT. Wanted to try upright for years and this satisfies the itch perfectly.

2414724C-7A18-4518-A1C0-65D6F394FF5D.jpeg

Quite fancied trying upright too but having tried fretless basses over the years i'm a bit scared its just a passing phase again.

That looks nice tho.

Dave

Not sure about best but it’s bloody top tier and definitely my last of 2021. 
i arrived home with it about 5 hours ago after a 6 hour round trip to pick it up! 
F68710A6-6DC4-4435-B7FD-C52D4BBB0E48.thumb.jpeg.e307a2d3112d40d81c5d4383e11f13b5.jpeg

sounds so good though 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Bunion said:

Not sure about best but it’s bloody top tier and definitely my last of 2021. 
i arrived home with it about 5 hours ago after a 6 hour round trip to pick it up! 
F68710A6-6DC4-4435-B7FD-C52D4BBB0E48.thumb.jpeg.e307a2d3112d40d81c5d4383e11f13b5.jpeg

sounds so good though 

Excellent piece of kit and a great score so close to the deadline!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rayman said:

Favourite purchase of the year, is by far this Hohner B Bass.... absolute steal, and a joy to play. 

Bargain of the year is the TC BG250 behind it..... £40.... and it sounds fabulous. 

20220101_113817.jpg

Amazing price for that TC combo. Used one at a rehearsal once and it sounded pretty good.

Well done.

Dave

• Like 1