Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2021?

Al Krow

2 hours ago, krispn said:

**Actually if there was a way to hook the keyboard to my ipad that would be even better. Are any such interfaces available which would allow me to use my little Novation keyboard to my ipad? I should really google myself but I'm out and about just now. I'll do a proper search later!

Yes, the apple camera connection kit, which is just a USB to lighning connector.

• Like 1

It’s been a bit of a landmark year for me, started the year with an epi Thunderbird and a tiny practice amp, and have added a whole load of great gear, including a new bass plus TC Electronic RH750 with 410 cab and a nice selection of pedals.

The best, without a doubt, was my Fender Duff McKagan sig. I absolutely love it. It plays beautifully, the drop tuner is really handy for what I play and it looks great too. 

I can’t think of anything that I’ve bought that’s been particularly bad, but there’s still time!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harps said:

It’s been a bit of a landmark year for me, started the year with an epi Thunderbird and a tiny practice amp, and have added a whole load of great gear, including a new bass plus TC Electronic RH750 with 410 cab and a nice selection of pedals.

The best, without a doubt, was my Fender Duff McKagan sig. I absolutely love it. It plays beautifully, the drop tuner is really handy for what I play and it looks great too. 

I can’t think of anything that I’ve bought that’s been particularly bad, but there’s still time!

Sounds like a great year...now where did you mis-lay that pic of your full rig & bass? 😊

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is the Duff McKagan bass a passive one. I was sure he could switch the pickups in and out in some way. 

Agree we need to see some pics of your gear. :D

Dave

The Duff is indeed passive. Switchable between the pickups and it has the TBX tone thing. As you can probably tell, I’m something of an expert!

Other than wanting to play with a fretless bass, I don’t think I’ll be needing much else for a while! We’ll, maybe a five sting. And an acoustic. 

Here’s my slightly messy pictures. The pedalboard is homemade. Once I’ve figured out where everything’s going, I’ll try and tidy the wiring. 
And yes, the stupid sticker is all my own doing!57D05B6B-58C4-4F26-84AC-E44879DE97C8.thumb.jpeg.586e49a99419758fd0e43b8c281537a3.jpeg385102DC-1FF1-48F1-AAA3-146A1DD29B33.thumb.jpeg.0395eb00975a357b12311c58ca08e1b5.jpeg6FCD8BD4-7295-4E12-B8AE-65FF1BFE159D.thumb.jpeg.988712d3747179963b454ab1d7e4ae2d.jpeg

• Like 4

On 16/11/2021 at 10:03, SonnyBassPlayer said:

My best purchase for this year had been a Mooer Radar cabsim that I'm sticking on ther back on my ABM head with my own cabinet's Ir so that I can always have my mic'd sound available. Also my customized Thomann P bass kit:
1724931792_Screenshot(444).png.c8596703a705b7e959b9cfe47adab97b.png

Nice bass!

• Like 1

I was doing alright until the other day when I managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by buying an Xotic Bass RC Boost pedal. Boost pedals seem to be a 'thing' at the moment so I figured I'd get involved; the RC was on end-of-line anyway and then a voucher turned up, so you know.. why not?! Turns out the answer to "why not" is "because the only useful thing it did was underline how much I liked what I'd already got when I turned it off". I can't be bothered with the faff of returning it and I don't do private sales, so that's another one for the back of the cupboard until next mass-trade-in-day.

To balance things out, my best of the year is a Fender USA Pro Jazz 5 (new, but original Pro, not Pro II) which, although it immediately needed a Hipshot A bridge buying because the one it comes with had sharp grub screws sticking out of it and I'm not a fan of avoidable hand injuries, I've really enjoyed getting to know. Reviews indicated that some people didn't like the pickups very much, but I think they sound really good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Any Black Friday deals looking good and potentially a "best" (hopefully not a worst!) purchase? 

I was looking for something specific - I do not respect this Black Friday "tradition" at all, but Andertons are having a bit of a price blitz on G&L Tributes:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars?#facet:3074457345616676675713876327111710511697114115&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:3&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

£250 for a G&L Tribute JB-2?  Not my thing at all, but 7 lucky folk are going to get a bargain.  When the prices go back to normal you could probably sell it second hand for £250!

20 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My Epiphone Embassy won't be arriving until 2023 now 😭

You after a particular colour?  I've seen limited stocks of gold and red still going around...

EDIT: Andertons have 1 red and 1 gold left.  PMT have gold.  Bax-shop has red.  Thomann have black.  No luck with green.  Now suspecting that it's green you're after :(

Edited by neepheid

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

You after a particular colour?  I've seen limited stocks of gold and red still going around...

EDIT: Andertons have 1 red and 1 gold left.  PMT have gold.  Bax-shop has red.  Thomann have black.  No luck with green.  Now suspecting that it's green you're after :(

Yep, I want Clown Vomit Wanderlust Green, no other colour will do. It's clearly superior, as evidenced by the complete lack of them!

So annoying, I really want to use a twin humbucker bass, but my Hohner B2 doesn't fit the image...

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Yep, I want Clown Vomit Wanderlust Green, no other colour will do. It's clearly superior, as evidenced by the complete lack of them!

So annoying, I really want to use a twin humbucker bass, but my Hohner B2 doesn't fit the image...

2023 though, that seems insane :(

44 minutes ago, neepheid said:

2023 though, that seems insane :(

Oops, mistyped... mine will be early 2022, it was showing as in stock within a week a few days ago. Now they say they have been told 29 December.

GMT say "Estimated delivery: 26th - 30th May 2022",l that's six months... but they may have all their expected stock already sold.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Oops, mistyped... mine will be early 2022, it was showing as in stock within a week a few days ago. Now they say they have been told 29 December.

GMT say "Estimated delivery: 26th - 30th May 2022",l that's six months... but they may have all their expected stock already sold.

Sad sign of the times i'm afraid. Ordered my Mesa TT800 in May this year and might get it Spring 2022. Down to a combination of available parts and shipping containers in wrong places plus the workforce effects due to pandemic.

Andertons have assured me that price will not go up as i've already paid for the amp so that's a bonus.

Dave

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sad sign of the times i'm afraid. Ordered my Mesa TT800 in May this year and might get it Spring 2022. Down to a combination of available parts and shipping containers in wrong places plus the workforce effects due to pandemic.

Andertons have assured me that price will not go up as i've already paid for the amp so that's a bonus.

Dave

Yes the Embassy has put on an extra £25, but Thomann will honour the price. A PITA is the cash has not yet been taken by PayPal so I have to keep it in my main a/C.

• Like 2

I ordered a G&L Tribute JB-2 (Sunburst and maple) from Anderton's last night when their black friday sale went live. I've had my eye on this bass for a couple of months now since my back started playing up. I didn't expect to see one in their sale, but low and behold, there it was. £299 down from £399.  Should arrive Monday.

FWIW. My back went twice this year, the last time I was crawling around on my hands and knees for a few days. I think it was a fitness issue at it's core, but triggered by the first gig in about a year, playing my significantly weighty Yamaha Attitude LTD2, and carrying a load of gear (inc PA and helping move drums) up and down a fire escape - my back was on fire after that gig, and a week later I was on the floor. I vowed then to lighten my gear as much as possible. The Attitude now has Hipshot ultralites (makes a big difference to the balance), I sold my very heavy Warwick Corvette.  I've been considering getting a jazz bass for a while as in nearly 30 years I've never had one (not a true "classic" one anyway) but I realise they tend to be on the weighty side compared to the average P bass. Bassdirect had a list of lightweight basses and the inexpensive JB-2 caught my attention at only 8.5lbs.  I'm not a sunburst guy normally, but I am a sucker for a maple fretboard and this particular model really appealed. I know it's not a "classic Jazz" style, but it's closer to one than anything I've had before, and lighter. I just hope it lives up to it's reputation.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 4

On 26/11/2021 at 15:14, Greg Edwards69 said:

I ordered a G&L Tribute JB-2 (Sunburst and maple) from Anderton's last night when their black friday sale went live. I've had my eye on this bass for a couple of months now since my back started playing up. I didn't expect to see one in their sale, but low and behold, there it was. £299 down from £399.  Should arrive Monday.

FWIW. My back went twice this year, the last time I was crawling around on my hands and knees for a few days. I think it was a fitness issue at it's core, but triggered by the first gig in about a year, playing my significantly weighty Yamaha Attitude LTD2, and carrying a load of gear (inc PA and helping move drums) up and down a fire escape - my back was on fire after that gig, and a week later I was on the floor. I vowed then to lighten my gear as much as possible. The Attitude now has Hipshot ultralites (makes a big difference to the balance), I sold my very heavy Warwick Corvette.  I've been considering getting a jazz bass for a while as in nearly 30 years I've never had one (not a true "classic" one anyway) but I realise they tend to be on the weighty side compared to the average P bass. Bassdirect had a list of lightweight basses and the inexpensive JB-2 caught my attention at only 8.5lbs.  I'm not a sunburst guy normally, but I am a sucker for a maple fretboard and this particular model really appealed. I know it's not a "classic Jazz" style, but it's closer to one than anything I've had before, and lighter. I just hope it lives up to it's reputation.

My Geddy Jazz feels lighter than my P bass altho i haven't actually weighed them. The slim Geddy Signature Jazz has a nice slim neck and is similar in feel to my Warwick Thumb NT 89. Have to admit none of my Fenders are light basses whereas my Sandberg is a dream to play.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

My Geddy Jazz feels lighter than my P bass altho i haven't actually weighed them. The slim Geddy Signature Jazz has a nice slim neck and is similar in feel to my Warwick Thumb NT 89. Have to admit none of my Fenders are light basses whereas my Sandberg is a dream to play.

It is a bit of a risky buy for me tbh. I usually prefer chunky necks, and I really don’t get on that well with thin necks at all. But from my research, I understand the jb2 has a fairly chunky neck for a jazz, which should work for me okay. The biggest challenge will be the narrower nut. I’ve been spoiled by wider P style necks for years. My hand used to cramp up on my old 5 string Warwick thumb that had similar nut end string spacing, but I think a lot of that was the poor ergonomics that meant the nut was about a mile away from my body!

Lots of lovely things on this thread!

I have purchased only one bass related item this year, the Brawley 5 string I bagged this year. 

20210222_083623.thumb.jpg.f397dc8b5ab65ed290f86901e8269d2e.jpg20210222_085309.thumb.jpg.cb7b2560271a07e34fe761a3ef9fd56f.jpg

Its four string brother has hardly been out of the case, and my appreciation of melody and musical theory has improved too.

Edited by Richard R
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

Lots of lovely things on this thread!

I have purchased only one bass related item this year, the Brawley 5 string I bagged this year. 

20210222_083623.thumb.jpg.f397dc8b5ab65ed290f86901e8269d2e.jpg20210222_085309.thumb.jpg.cb7b2560271a07e34fe761a3ef9fd56f.jpg

Its four string brother has hardly been out of the case, and my appreciation of melody and musical theory has improved too.

Not heard of them but that looks very nice.

Dave