Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2021?

Al Krow

The best purchase is difficult and I'd struggle to choose between my SR5 Special and my G&L CLF L-2000. 

The worst isn't really a "worst" as such, more "biggest disappointment" but I picked up a lime green Charvel Sam Dimas PJ Bass that was so prohibitively heavy I simply couldn't use it. Such a shame as it was an excellent bass with brilliant build quality. 

I also  bought an Ampeg PF-800 head which is a wild departure  from my usual Mark Bass. It's built like a tank and sounds brilliant, just not sure I've particularly gelled with it yet. 

The pleasant surprise purchase of the year was my Laney Digbeth Preamp pedal. My expectations  were low to say the least but I couldn't have been more wrong. It's a wonderful bit of kit and I couldn't recommend them highly enough. 

8565BB45-57E9-45FC-848B-EF0262DCEB1A.jpeg

B39366CD-3E62-4386-8B27-1D3BB19FD3FC.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Tidy pedalboard and set up

What songs are you using the FI/sound modulators on and what settings?

is the VT pedal/drive always on and how does the zoom fit in/is it used?

Bugera wins for functions above the DG AO - how so -strengths of each?

Berg vs BF cab you have (BB2 I think) did the BF struggle in functions you are playing to outweigh its greater portability?

Would be good info for us all

Thanks. Yup very happy with the pedal board and have slotted a Thumpinator underneath for good measure. It will shortly start to be used in place of the Zoom B1-4 solo at rehearsals and gigs; settings and songs to be worked out when it does. Will need to invest some time getting up to speed on the FI editor, as I'm determined to avoid another D-grade on my homework from @Quatschmacher!

Bear in mind that the rig pic I posted just refers to my best gear purchases of 2021, rather than of all time, and it's certainly not the case that e.g. the BB2 struggles at all. It's just I know how phenomenally good Berg cabs are, having previously had a CN212 and when I was able to get my hands on an almost-new NXT in part-ex for a bass in my herd that wasn't getting much of a look-in currently, it was too good an opportunity to pass up. 

I've actually failed @bassfan's 2021 Gear Acquisition challenge spectacularly: I've had quite a gear churn this year including 7 basses, although I'm ending the year with the same number of basses as I had at the start. But the overall content of the Al Krow bass-ment feels like it's in good and very usable shape and, touch-wood, hopefully there will be plenty of opps to use them at home and with my two bands in 2022.

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks. Yup very happy with the pedal board and have slotted a Thumpinator underneath for good measure. It will shortly start to be used in place of the Zoom B1-4 solo at rehearsals and gigs; settings and songs to be worked out when it does. Will need to invest some time getting up to speed on the FI editor, as I'm determined to avoid another D-grade on my homework from @Quatschmacher!

Bear in mind that the rig pic I posted just refers to my best gear purchases of 2021, rather than of all time, and it's certainly not the case that e.g. the BB2 struggles at all. It's just I know how phenomenally good Berg cabs are, having previously had a CN212 and when I was able to get my hands on an almost-new NXT in part-ex for a bass in my herd that wasn't getting much of a look-in currently, it was too good an opportunity to pass up. 

I've actually failed @bassfan's 2021 Gear Acquisition challenge spectacularly: I've had quite a gear churn this year including 7 basses, although I'm ending the year with the same number of basses as I had at the start. But the overall content of the Al Krow bass-ment feels like it's in good and very usable shape and, touch-wood, hopefully there will be plenty of opps to use them at home and with my two bands in 2022.

Okee Dokee

let us know when it comes out in the wild and what you have settled on to songs, settings etc 

4 hours ago, krispn said:

‘Yeah that’s the thing the keys player is basically I’ll not do any left hand parts so it’s all up to you what you wanna play. I have been using logic and a keyboard and working on all the songs where I might be able to play synth - as for actual bass synth I’m not against the idea and think it would be cool but I’m enjoying the phat bass sound I have just now. It’d be cool to have a SubPhatty or some Moog type sounds set up to switch on the fly but I’ll see how I get on with the mac. I have used Moog plug ins which sound great via my Apollo but then it’s more gear to schelp - a synth into my Basswitch when I can just A/B makes much more sense on a practical level but not a financial one - if we make any money and it become a decent gigging venture I’d invest but the set list would also need to justify it 🙂

Moog have just made their Model D app run on Mac now so well worth a shot. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Okee Dokee

let us know when it comes out in the wild and what you have settled on to songs, settings etc 

What are your PB(s) currently laden with - any new 2021 pedal acquisitions you're particularly pleased about?

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

Moog have just made their Model D app run on Mac now so we’ll worth a shot. 

Ueah I have been messing with some of the UAD stuff and the iPad app. I’d I were to gig with an acrual

synth my keyboard player assures me he has heaps of stuff he could bring along for me. He’s really rather dead on but for home practice I think the plug in would be great for nailing those classic sounds. Logic ain’t bad and I’ve a couple of workable sounds for now too. 

23 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Super impressed with all you guys who have managed to limit your gear purchases to just a couple of items and, have instead, been managing to put what you already have to good use! I'm hoping that will be me one day soon, but certainly wasn't the case this year! 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Not trying to be an arse here, at least no more than usual 😃, but is this a case of cause and effect? Or more accurately effect (no, not pedals) and cause? In that if you didn't spend so much time buying gear that - and I may be wrong here - you seem to be buying with the intention of not actually using, plus the time spent selling it on afterwards, then you might actually have the time to use the gear that you currently own? :)*

*Smiley to show that this enquiry is good natured, albeit I am genuinely curious to know why you buy gear and then don't seem to use it as I buy gear and then put it through its paces both at home and out on gigs. 

14 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Not trying to be an arse here, at least no more than usual 😃, but is this a case of cause and effect? Or more accurately effect (no, not pedals) and cause? In that if you didn't spend so much time buying gear that - and I may be wrong here - you seem to be buying with the intention of not actually using, plus the time spent selling it on afterwards, then you might actually have the time to use the gear that you currently own? :)*

*Smiley to show that this enquiry is good natured, albeit I am genuinely curious to know why you buy gear and then don't seem to use it as I buy gear and then put it through its paces both at home and out on gigs. 

Lol, you don't really need to concern yourself with my gear buying habits; I'm certainly not concerned about yours 😉

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

What are your PB(s) currently laden with - any new 2021 pedal acquisitions you're particularly pleased about?

Just the usual hoard of Tech21 stuff, compressors and various bitsa’s - standard fare really - nothing as exciting as the Krowmania

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Lol, you don't really need to concern yourself with my gear buying habits; I'm certainly not concerned about yours 😉

I'm not concerned as such, more curious. But the question still stands should you care to indulge me.

For the record I have bought a tuner and cable this year. Neither good nor bad, just purely functional. 

52 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Definitely something to this in my case. I find that if I’m practising diligently then I don’t have time or mental capacity to browse and buy; the bonus being I’m less poor, mentally more stable and a better player. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Osiris said:

I'm not concerned as such, more curious. But the question still stands should you care to indulge me.

For the record I have bought a tuner and cable this year. Neither good nor bad, just purely functional. 

I tend to buy for whatever project i might be doing and once that's done i move the gear on if no longer being used and like you i've often wondered how people get thru so much gear altho i do know some guys buy gear and sell on for a small profit but there are some guys on BC that dont appear to be doing it for profit. 

Is it just to try things out and when not suited they just sell on again.

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krispn said:

A comment above said “I’ve no interest in your gear so don’t be so interested in mine” (paraphrasing)

Errrr...if your comment below was referring to my response to this post from Sid: 

8 hours ago, Osiris said:

...you seem to be buying with the intention of not actually using... I am genuinely curious to know why you buy gear and then don't seem to use it...

It was meant as a pretty obvious 'take a hike, mate'! 😊 (Smiley face inserted to confirm that it was a good natured retort to an obvious wind-up).

I mean wtf eh? Lol! If someone said that to you having no real idea of how / where / when you used your gear I think you'd tell them to take a hike, too? No?

8 hours ago, Osiris said:

Not trying to be an arse here, at least no more than usual 😃,

One day soon, we can but hope.

Edited by Al Krow

17 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

...Is it just to try things out and when not suited they just sell on again.

Dave

I think for a lot of folk it's exactly that Dave - although the fact that an item has been moved on doesn't necessarily mean that it's not been used a fair bit both at home and / or on gigs (although obviously not everyone on here is in a band). E.g. I've just traded a bass which, together with its predecessor 4 string, was one of my two go-to gigging basses for several years. But a couple of new-to-me basses I've been privileged to get this year: the Yamaha BB2005 and Elpick Evo5 I've previously mentioned on this thread, both from fellow BC'ers, have blown me away and my traded bass was just not going to get used anything like as much, so I decided it was time to move it on. But that's a totally commonplace thing for a lot of us BC'ers, I suspect. Other bits of gear can simply be an upgrade, or even a downgrade if you find you don't need something quite so fancy and something more budget will do the job just as well - certainly been the case on a few things this year and last e.g. Zoom B1-4 in place of a Helix HX Effects.

I guess the beauty of buying used on BC is that you can get to try out a fair bit of gear from generally trustworthy and lovely fellow bass players and, if it doesn't suit, move it on without too much of a hit to the wallet. Sometimes curiosity, sometimes pure GAS. But pretty much all of the time, good fun!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I think for a lot of folk it's exactly that Dave - although the fact that an item has been moved on doesn't necessarily mean that it's not been used a fair bit both at home and / or on gigs (although obviously not everyone on here is in a band). E.g. I've just traded a bass which, together with its predecessor 4 string, was one of my two go-to gigging basses for several years. But a couple of new-to-me basses I've been privileged to get this year: the Yamaha BB2005 and Elpick Evo5 I've previously mentioned on this thread, both from fellow BC'ers, have blown me away and my traded bass was just not going to get used anything like as much, so I decided it was time to move it on. But that's a totally commonplace thing for a lot of us BC'ers, I suspect. Other bits of gear can simply be an upgrade, or even a downgrade if you find you don't need something quite so fancy and something more budget will do the job just as well - certainly been the case on a few things this year and last e.g. Zoom B1-4 in place of a Helix HX Effects.

I guess the beauty of buying used on BC is that you can get to try out a fair bit of gear from generally trustworthy and lovely fellow bass players and, if it doesn't suit, move it on without too much of a hit to the wallet. Sometimes curiosity, sometimes pure GAS. But pretty much all of the time, good fun!

That's exactly what i thought it was all about. I trust buying from fellow BCers and as you say you can buy 2nd hand and if its not for you just simply sell it on with little or no losses.

Everyone benefits in some way.

Dave

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

This.

Lately, I'm finding that after buying stuff and comparing it to what I already have, I am left wondering, "Does the difference really matter to me?" Even the gear that is significantly "better" might not be worth the price tag, when it's only me that will notice the difference.

It's dawning on me that I've reached the limit of my bass gear wants/needs. I feel strangely relieved! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, chris_b said:

It's dawning on me that I've reached the limit of my bass gear wants/needs. I feel strangely relieved! 

Chris - the fact that it's only just dawning on you, with your decades of experience, doesn't bode well for the rest of us "relative newbies" does it? 😁

25 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Lately, I'm finding that after buying stuff and comparing it to what I already have, I am left wondering, "Does the difference really matter to me?" Even the gear that is significantly "better" might not be worth the price tag, when it's only me that will notice the difference.

Btw - I think you've touched on a key point in relation to all our gear purchases. I'm totally with you that so much of our kit only makes a very marginal difference to what an audience hears or gets out of an evening - and most of that really is "in the fingers" and how good we are as bass players. But if, as the bass player, you personally do notice a difference or you get more enjoyment, either at home or when gigging, and you can comfortably afford the bit of kit in question, then my counter would be why not treat yourself? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Btw - I think you've touched on a key point in relation to all our gear purchases. I'm totally with you that so much of our kit only makes a very marginal difference to what an audience hears or gets out of an evening - and most of that really is "in the fingers" and how good we are as bass players. But if, as the bass player, you personally do notice a difference or you get more enjoyment, either at home or when gigging, and you can comfortably afford the bit of kit in question, then my counter would be why not treat yourself? 

Yes, and if you are happier with your sound then, whatever the audience can discern, you’re likely to put on a better show and it’s a win-win.

Of course partner or bank manager may disagree. 😀

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

This.

I’m getting that way too. I’ve found that my ideal setup is a steel rounds strung rosewood board Precision with Custom Shop 62 pickups, into an Ashdown. 
I’m even finding that after years of using my trusty Para Driver that I’m now preferring bass straight into amp. Tools for the job I suppose.

• Like 1

Most gear purchases after the essentials are vanity, curiosity or a combination of both. 
I’ve owned some high end gear and it’s always been used at gigs so while it might have prestige status it’s also been bought for its attributes. I’m under no illusion that the crowd have little idea what a bass is let along the signal chain I’m using.  I’ve had more than one “Why am I playing an ££££ bass/amp when a squier would do in this sh*t hole” type moment. That’s not to say folk can’t enjoy their nice high end stuff at home and many of us have gigging gear and Sunday best gear (err I don’t but I’ve read the accounts). I’ve just been in a position where I’ve been able to buy some nice kit but it was the only kit I then owned as I had to shift everthing else to afford it 😀 but it’s usually been gig specific. 

I’ve done some local circuit original gigs where I’ve used cheapie basses and on one cringeworthy occasion a new to me squier cut out at sound check and the other bands bassist offered me his bass… it was a Wal! I was petrified of damaging it and literally didn’t move for the whole set! Times like that I wished everyone took crap on the road! I also thought the perception of me would have been one of I didn’t care about kit or gear not in a lack of knowledge but as a general he couldn’t give a f*** which is certainly not the case and that I didn’t have the basic common sense to make sure it worked pre gig. 

A comment above said “I’ve no interest in your gear so don’t be so interested in mine” (paraphrasing) yet the whole basis of the thread is to show what gear we got, if it was a hit or a miss and importantly why to inform others and, I presume, how/where we use it and if it’s fit for purpose. For me the real test is on a gig. Can I get it to do what I want or was the marketing just that. I hope my explanations above are helpful. 

I meant to say I nabbed a bass too, a BB424x. It’s a good bass for the money, needs a touch of eq to even it out a bit for my tastes but it’s maybe I’m more used to my P bass which doesn’t need a lot of additional eq whereas the BB has a lot of lows. While not a traditional sounding P it does have its own sound and it’s been nabbed as much for the 80’s look as the sound but I have eq option across the signal chain if needed. I’ve been enjoying playing it live at volume and I’ve had no issues ‘taming it’ or coaxing what I need out of ir. I do prefer a PJ and while my cheapie jazz was great the PJ feels more at home with what I’m going for plus if it was good enough for Tony in No Doubt (I know it’s not the same model but…)!

As others have said I tend to buy gear for a particular gig and once that stops being a thing I know I’ll keep my trusty P bass ahead of anything else. 

I have another pedal or two incoming that might replace the stomp but I really need to try them out side by side before deciding. These days I need a very simple but tweak-able signal chain and if I can get it all in one box that’s perfect. The stomp does that of course and works but I fancy trying something else. 

hijack over as you were. 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

This.

This will pass once you've received the full GAS vaccination therapy. An injection of bassiness is required. 😂

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1