Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2021?

Al Krow

I've just opened the most boring Thomann order ever:

A Markbass amp wedge thingy,

An iPad mic stand holder thingy,

A set of Warwick black label strings.

That is a boring order! 

Best purchase.... Let's see if my left handed Jack Casady bass arrives in one piece. Courier collects it today, kicks the sh!t out of it overnight then crams it through my letterbox tomorrow.

I have got hold of two Ashdown Pro Neo 1x15 cabs though in recent weeks. Cab number two should be with me today or tomorrow. That was a nice upgrade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunderbird said:

Just remembered I bought some hartke strings and am pleased with them at under a tenner a set 

Another request for a link. I used to buy their multipacks. Great strings for the price!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Merton said:

Yep. Mrs Mert has the horses; I just happened to be the wallet to pay for that. And then pay to get it through an MOT. And soon will pay to get the bodywork touched up in various places. Definitely not the best purchase of the year 😅

My mate has an old horsebox (a towed one though) that he uses to transport his PA. Cheaper than a Transit!

• Like 1

Best buy for me.

Mesa SW210 & 115 cabs.

image.thumb.png.2ac60911daee835b773ba7209e0e698f.png

Odd one here as it fits both categories - Markbass long life nickel strings. Love the tone and feel but downside is they are hard to get ? 

Mesa TT800 would have been best buy along with cabs but wont be delivered till Spring 2022 with a bit of luck.

Dave

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thunderbird said:

Just remembered I bought some hartke strings and am pleased with them at under a tenner a set 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

That's a great price for a set of bass strings! Do you have a link to ones you bought? 

45 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Link please!  I love Hartke strings, I used to use them all the time but haven't seen them around for ages.

22 minutes ago, cetera said:

Another request for a link. I used to buy their multipacks. Great strings for the price!

@Thunderbird- you've clearly struck a chord with us overcharged-for-strings bass players!

Your post could seriously result in this potentially massively GAS-inducing thread SAVING BC'ers money! ... Now that's gotta be a first 😁

Best Purchase:
My Sire P7 by far.

Best.thumb.jpg.028a14b18f04948c7f9fa7e8ea32d752.jpg

Bargain of the year: That Protection Racket foam case behind the bass, £20 from a guy who brought it new but never got to use it...that was £80 less than a new one would've cost me back then.

Worst Purchase: 

A set of Rotosound flats, I had a brain fart and ordered short scales for my long and then proceeded to open the pack and try to fit them so no return for those...good excuse to get a short scale one day I guess.

• Like 7

Best: a 2001 Warwick Streamer LX that I've been playing almost exclusively since I got it, unless I need a low B. Brilliant bass! 

I'm trying to think of my worst purchase, but I don't recall buying any other bass related stuff this year. I suppose my worst bass-related purchase was a guitar, a MIJ Jackson DK2 :lol:

1 hour ago, Saul Panzer said:

Best Purchase:
My Sire P7 by far.

Best.thumb.jpg.028a14b18f04948c7f9fa7e8ea32d752.jpg

Bargain of the year: That Protection Racket foam case behind the bass, £20 from a guy who brought it new but never got to use it...that was £80 less than a new one would've cost me back then.

Worst Purchase: 

A set of Rotosound flats, I had a brain fart and ordered short scales for my long and then proceeded to open the pack and try to fit them so no return for those...good excuse to get a short scale one day I guess.

Sire P7s are great value, particularly the Mk2s which they are decently lighter than the heavy Mk1s. I mean, what other bass gives you a semi-para mid EQ at that price point?

As an alternative to getting a short scale, I suspect you'd have no problems at all shifting those strings in the FS, if you haven't done already, as there's quite a short scale fan club on BC! At least cut your losses and put the money to getting some bargain Hartke strings...😄 

Edited by Al Krow

11 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I haven't purchased a thing this year!

I think you may have got slightly confused as to which thread you should be posting on?  Try this one: GAT 2021 - you'll find both a warm welcome from the OP and much admiration from the rest of us on there. 

😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

As an alternative to getting a short scale, I suspect you'd have no problems at all shifting those strings in the FS, if you haven't done already, as there's quite a short scale fan club on BC! At least cut your losses and put the money to getting some bargain Hartke strings...😄 

If I hadn't already unwound them and faffed around I might consider it, I don't like the idea of sending out strings to find one was a dud due to me.
Anyway I keep eyeing those little Talman short scales, maybe next year they'll get a workout.

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I tried our guitarists Sire P7 mk2 5 string and thought it's a nice bass for the price. Better made and equipped than the 5 string MM SUB 5 which was similarly priced.

Worst thing I could say about it is that Sire headstock shape isn't really to my taste, round off that pointy bit and it'd be perfect imho.

5 minutes ago, Saul Panzer said:

Worst thing I could say about it is that Sire headstock shape isn't really to my taste, round off that pointy bit and it'd be perfect imho.

If you round off that pointy bit on the Sire headstock you'll end up with a...Sadowsky headstock.

I know a few folk on here who will be thrilled to hear you describe that as "perfect"! 😊

Off the top of my head, and in no particular order, mostly from the BC Effects For Sale area...

Source Audio Ultrawave Bass

Banananana Matryoshka

Tech 21 Geddy Lee

Red Panda Tensor

EHX Mel9

Earthquaker Afterneath v3

Emma Electronics Discumbobulator v2

couple of Dunlop DVP4 mini

some patch cables