Why become a member? ×

November Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Approaching the end of the year now and @upside downer rolls out a doosey to close out October.

By way of reward he gets to choose, and bright as a button, he has proposed the following for your inspiration, with the bonus of a bit of background should you take an interest in such stuff 

https://www.diyphotography.net/conceptual-photographer-takes-us-behind-scenes-moons-ever-changing-cycle/ 

image.png.bbc6b8b8928a5e5fda7fc2bf49fd918c.png

Usual rules apply. You know the drill:

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and written/recorded this month.

No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, the Halloween truce now Expired. panpipes only if you have too.

No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you.

A line or two offering an insight to your inspiration will be good as well , it works nicely on the voting thread.

Deadline wise , we will go for  midnight on  'Fibonacci day '  👍, and again you probably have till about 19.00 on the 24th, ( the clue given here is that 'Fibonacci day' is the 23rd).

Have a good one :sun_bespectacled:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And when you do sing , don’t be afraid of letting us hear it, if you have taken the effort to write some words and bare your soul singing them , we may as well hear them, don’t bury them in the mix 😁

we are all getting better at that ....a bit 😉

• Like 1

Well this pic for some reason really struck me.  I decided to write about how much my wife means to me.  There's personal stuff in here that I'm not willing to go into, but I think I've said it how I want to.

Downside...  I can't sing.  So it's me through a vocoder.  Recorded using Logic.  I've added some sparse drums & a better bass line.

Anyhow, it's a love song...

For those wanting to sing along...

Spoiler

I would steal the moon for you, Every day the week if you want me to,
I would keep them save in the back of my van.
I would steal the stars for you, pull them out my pocket when you're feeling blue.
I want you to stay in my life, take my hand.

When you're feeling down about this life, Remember that I need you as my wife.
When things get tough inside your mind, hold on for a kiss just one more time.

I'd destroy the world for you, break it up completely if you asked me to. Build it back again, with the pain left behind.
And when you're needing someone who'll be at your side love, as we see this through. I'll never walk away, I will stay by your side.

Giving up's a shite idea. Don't you know that I really need you here. Please don't go away, won't you stay, take my hand.
& I would steal the moon for you. every day of the week if you want me to. I would keep them safe in the back of my van.

Edited by xgsjx
  • Like 3

The Mrs is really up for redoing the vocals.  But she's full of the cold, so I've updated the version above & removed the other ones to avoid confusion on what my entry is. 🙂

Edited by xgsjx
  • Like 2

Much as I suspected ...

the thing has not turned out as intended , I’m not at all displeased , but I often start with an idea , get the guitar/piano out and start noodling with the theme in mind and it takes over and turns into something different.

I suppose it’s a bit different to normal writing, in that I might think the subject suits a particular genre so try and head that way, rather than write a tune to a familiar style , then it all falls back into a comfort genre 😂

And once I’ve started on a direction , even if it’s the unintended one , I tend to follow it through 🤦‍♂️

Ah well , I have a decision on how many verses to torture you all with , and a few tweaks to do, but I’ve gone a bit minimal on this one. 🤔

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 1

That's a cracker!

It must be a month for it... I got halfway down an ambient, dubby electronica route, then on Friday woke up with a pretty much fully formed campfire song, melody, lyrics, the lot. Just need to figure out how to put it down, and find the time.

• Thanks 1

Finally able to make a start... My laptop had decided not to recognise my password - I eventually noticed that it wasn't actually recognising 1/2 of the keys on the keyboard.

So I got up the ease of access on-screen keyboard to get into it. After some investigation I discovered that a most helpful Windows update had decided to save power by shutting off some USB buses, which just happened to be connected to part (not all, for some reason?) of the keyboard. Turned that off in power management and all was fine.

Cheers Bill!

Anyway, so far we've got some quite groovy jazz funk with, mercifully, no singing or (eek!) rapping. Will hopefully get it finished!

Here is my contribution to the November 2021 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Upside Downer.
A celestial sculpteur, modelling a new vision for the night sky, after a fashion. Giving a fresh shine on an old, friendly face; somewhat daft, maybe, but with Good Intentions...
A jazz-standard feel for the base, upon which various textures have been woven, putting my BIAB Big Band through the mill. I wasn't confident enough to do the recital myself, so Brian T'Web helped out. A bit dry, but I would have done no better, so...
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy...

• Like 5

Spent far too much time on the this over the last few days... Still, 'er's funky!

This month we have a celebration of the Full Moon, in all its forms 😁

Contains basses by Sandberg and ACG, plus lots of fiddling with my new organs. Guitars by Strat (with some widdling by J - cheers!). Drums programmed in and/or using loops by EZ Drummer.

Mixed with Neutron 3, Ozone 9 with plenty of Phasis and Raum and a large dollop of BassRoom.

• Like 5

GRRRRRRRR!!!

I have something written and mostly recorded but I'm experiencing a major tech glitch.  Cubase is falling over when I try to load the project and when it does open trying to add anything to a channel strip is making it crash again.  I'm away for the weekend and hope to be able to either finish it off or at worst submit what I have so far. 

The problem is memory, but it's other processes that are overloading and leaving nothing for Cubase to work with (Mcafee is the main culprit taking more than a quarter of the memory for some reason).

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, lurksalot said:

Sounds tough that one , maybe put a post with the title in here , and someone might have a workaround ? 

I know I had issues but paid a small sub to avast and it cleaned up a shed load of stuff, that really has breathed new life into my recording headroom ! 

I think the solution is to have the PC looked at.  If they can't solve it I'll ditch it and get something new, higher spec and with less bloatware.

• Like 1

I built a PC a good few years ago with an i7 processor, 16gb of RAM running Windows 10. I don't connect it to the internet so I don't need to have anything on it other than my music software. No startup apps, no other crapp and Windows 10 is quite efficient if you want it to be. If you McAfee is the culprit, disconnect it from the internet and disable McAfee for as along as you need to finish your music, it might get you through for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I apologise for my attendance record this year, although I do have a note from me mum !!

I've been really impressed with this years output from you all, so it's time to drag it back a bit...

I heard a play on the radio a few days after the picture was posted. The play told a story of a clever young woman who manipulated two men, so much so that they ended up in a very bad state. Not with her body but purely with mind games, t'was very clever. So that was the premise.

You may notice a few 'made up ' words within the lyrics ? I wrote the first line down and then sung  along with the track to see if it worked. Imagine my surprise when I'd got to the end😳

So they are as they came out me head !

Anyhow, enough waffle.....

• Like 5