Why become a member? ×

Wonderful news if you’re a fan of Porcupine Tree

ambient

34 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

I am a huge fan but very disappointed that Colin Edwin is no longer involved. Terrific player and loved his laid back demeanour. 

I know. I’m guessing he’s played on some of the tracks - it’s supposedly been ten years or so in the making. Then Steven Wilson has played others, unless they’ve all be re-recorded. I suppose Nick Beggs will be playing live, I do like him.

2 minutes ago, ambient said:

I know. I’m guessing he’s played on some of the tracks - it’s supposedly been ten years or so in the making. Then Steven Wilson has played others, unless they’ve all be re-recorded. I suppose Nick Beggs will be playing live, I do like him.

Beggs is terrific but in the context of PT, my preference would be for Colin Edwin by a distance.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Gavin Harrison is a beast love his drumming skills and style 

the first track on the new album has been released on iTunes I’m guessing the rest will drip feed 

He is indeed. There was a video of him in sound check for Pineapple thief, he’s amazing. Check this out.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVqO66yjkan/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 1

I think if Mick Karn hadn’t passed he would have ended up in porcupine tree along with Richard Barbieri. 
steve Wilson did a lot of stuff with them. 
now that would have been a line up… 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Bunion said:

I think if Mick Karn hadn’t passed he would have ended up in porcupine tree along with Richard Barbieri. 
steve Wilson did a lot of stuff with them. 
now that would have been a line up… 

I think you’re absolutely right.

Sounds like Nick Beggs on the single, but I'm told it could well be SW himself. I quite liked the single - it sounds a bit "SW solo album" to me, I think Colin will be missed.

btw the Burning Shed mailout says "Porcupine Tree is Steven Wilson, Richard Barbieri and Gavin Harrison", which sounds pretty conclusive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm sure it'll end up being Beggsy playing live during next year's shows if Colin's not interested in doing it. No bad thing, Beggs is fantastic and he can technically do everything that Colin can. But there's something about Colin's chilled demeanour and slinky style that really worked in PT. 

As for the single, the playing style sounds like Beggs, but the tone doesn't sound quite right. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Sounds like Nick Beggs on the single, but I'm told it could well be SW himself. I quite liked the single - it sounds a bit "SW solo album" to me, I think Colin will be missed.

btw the Burning Shed mailout says "Porcupine Tree is Steven Wilson, Richard Barbieri and Gavin Harrison", which sounds pretty conclusive.

Yes, I got the same email from Burning Shed.

SW played most of the bass on Insurgentes, there was I think just one track that Tony Levin played on.

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

They'll need a bass player live and it will surely be Nick Beggs as there's a perfect alchemy between him and Steven Wilson when it comes to (live) music.

Just hoping they will come nearby... 🤞

It gives you a list of dates at about the 15 second mark. I’m sure they’ll add a lot more though. 

I’ve seen SW twice, they were fabulous gigs. I think PT though will eclipse the solo shows.

I don't use Instagram and the likes, so will have to check another way.

I've seen Steven Wilson live too and it's always a delight.

Porcupine Tree is different, of course, but it's still his project with Richard Barbieri, certainly less talk and solos, but very entertaining in the good sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

I don't use Instagram and the likes, so will have to check another way.

I've seen Steven Wilson live too and it's always a delight.

Porcupine Tree is different, of course, but it's still his project with Richard Barbieri, certainly less talk and solos, but very entertaining in the good sense.

I took a screenshot for you.

92FBEE92-3DC9-40D9-A5F7-1087CFDDAD16.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ambient said:

It gives you a list of dates at about the 15 second mark. I’m sure they’ll add a lot more though. 

I’ve seen SW twice, they were fabulous gigs. I think PT though will eclipse the solo shows.

I have seen SW and PT live and the SW show was pretty forgettable, whereas the PT show was one of if not the best gigs I have been at. Colin Edwin was terrific and though Beggs has all the chops, there is no guarantee that what he brings to the party, will emulate Edwin. All my opinion.

• Like 1

I've had varying experiences with both bands live.

Porcupine Tree in 1995 was amazing, still one of my favourite gigs ever. Subsequent shows in 2000 and 2007 were pretty dull, I left both early.

SW is diminishing returns as well: gigs with his early band line-ups were great - Adam Holzman, Theo Travis, Guthrie Govan, Nick Beggs, Marco Minneman. Then the material started losing interest for me, shows and albums from Hand Cannot Erase onwards weren't as engaging.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leroydiamond said:

I have seen SW and PT live and the SW show was pretty forgettable, whereas the PT show was one of if not the best gigs I have been at. Colin Edwin was terrific and though Beggs has all the chops, there is no guarantee that what he brings to the party, will emulate Edwin. All my opinion.

Steven Wilson plays some PT songs in his solo set, and Beggsy nails Colin's lines. He's a very different onstage presence though. He's also adapted some of the bass parts for Stick, and throws in a lot of good backing vocals. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

Steven Wilson plays some PT songs in his solo set, and Beggsy nails Colin's lines. He's a very different onstage presence though. He's also adapted some of the bass parts for Stick, and throws in a lot of good backing vocals. 

I think it'll be good with Nick on bass - assuming of course that he does play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Beggs is a terrific player no question. It is the inevetable difference in presence that you mention that has relevance, together with me having a preference for Edwin within the context of PT. However time moves on, so we can wait and see.

• Like 1

I like the new song, definitely the best thing I've heard from Wilson since Hand Cannot Erase, and the prospect of a new album under the PT name is worth looking forward to as well. Not so bothered about the gigs, I've seen PT numerous times in theatre-sized venues, often half-empty at that, and the prospect of paying eye-watering money to be at the back of some cavernous enormodrome with the acoustics of a warehouse doesn't really appeal. Particularly as I'd have to trek to the other end of the country - or to another one altogether - in order to go.

I think it's interesting to remember PT started out as a solo Wilson project & if you look at the credits of any of the albums, he's usually responsible for a lot more than just vocals, guitar & production (including most of the bass on Deadwing), plus he's the sole composer of pretty much everything. For that reason I've largely found it hard to draw much distinction between PT & his solo stuff, and a lot of the Raven & HCE material would have worked perfectly well with PT.

As far as the absence of Colin Edwin (and the hugely talented John Wesley from the live band) is concerned, it seems Wilson is a rather James Brown-like bandleader in that there's one way to play his material, and that's his way. So I'd expect whoever's playing bass with PT will play Edwin's lines to the last detail.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

I like the new song, definitely the best thing I've heard from Wilson since Hand Cannot Erase, and the prospect of a new album under the PT name is worth looking forward to as well. Not so bothered about the gigs, I've seen PT numerous times in theatre-sized venues, often half-empty at that, and the prospect of paying eye-watering money to be at the back of some cavernous enormodrome with the acoustics of a warehouse doesn't really appeal. Particularly as I'd have to trek to the other end of the country - or to another one altogether - in order to go.

I think it's interesting to remember PT started out as a solo Wilson project & if you look at the credits of any of the albums, he's usually responsible for a lot more than just vocals, guitar & production (including most of the bass on Deadwing), plus he's the sole composer of pretty much everything. For that reason I've largely found it hard to draw much distinction between PT & his solo stuff, and a lot of the Raven & HCE material would have worked perfectly well with PT.

As far as the absence of Colin Edwin (and the hugely talented John Wesley from the live band) is concerned, it seems Wilson is a rather James Brown-like bandleader in that there's one way to play his material, and that's his way. So I'd expect whoever's playing bass with PT will play Edwin's lines to the last detail.

Definitely this. I’ve never seen PT, despite being a fan for at least 15 years - Deadwing.

I think a lot of the bass on his solo albums was him, with NB reproducing them live, though Tony Levin appeared on Insurgentes.

He will I’d have thought need another guitar player Live, maybe Wesley will be brought back?

9 hours ago, ambient said:

Definitely this. I’ve never seen PT, despite being a fan for at least 15 years - Deadwing.

I think a lot of the bass on his solo albums was him, with NB reproducing them live, though Tony Levin appeared on Insurgentes.

He will I’d have thought need another guitar player Live, maybe Wesley will be brought back?

John Wesley's not involved, unfortunately. He's been quite diplomatic but from what he's posted on FB it appears there might be some bad blood. Can't help wondering if it's the same with Colin Edwin.

Porcupine Three, then.

• Like 1