Why become a member? ×

Hi everyone!

Saskia

Hello! I'm new here so just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Saskia, and I've been playing the electric bass for about a year. I've been learning through Scott's Bass Lessons, which is fab but I lack the motivation to get on there and do the lessons - also there is so much and it can be a bit intimidating.. I think sometimes the best way to learn is by jumping in at the deep end and jamming with some other musicians so that's my plan! I'm currently using an Aria Pro II Cardinal Series bass - which was my dad's in the 80s - with flat wound strings. Looking to network with some other bassists and get some tips on how to progress! 

• Like 3

Good to have more ladies onboard 

there are easier places to access than Scott’s bass lessons - he knows his stuff but his style doesn’t work for me. 
if it were me I’d go to an open mic night with one song you can do and there should be enough decent musicians there to join 

I went with just a bass and hooked up with an acoustic guitarist and we’d knock up a random choice of song in the corridor outside and just do it 

On 01/11/2021 at 13:05, Saskia said:

Hello! I'm new here so just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Saskia, and I've been playing the electric bass for about a year. I've been learning through Scott's Bass Lessons, which is fab but I lack the motivation to get on there and do the lessons - also there is so much and it can be a bit intimidating.. I think sometimes the best way to learn is by jumping in at the deep end and jamming with some other musicians so that's my plan! I'm currently using an Aria Pro II Cardinal Series bass - which was my dad's in the 80s - with flat wound strings. Looking to network with some other bassists and get some tips on how to progress! 

Hello - and welcome to BC Saskia...

I also started on an Aria Pro II; They're good Basses to start off with.. and my only advice would be to get the Bass set up properly, with a nice low-ish action.

Hope you enjoy the forums.. & best wishes! 

Welcome to the forum, Saskia! 😁 

I hope you're settling in well already and find some helpful tips for getting you in the deep end and hopefully more confident for playing with fellow musicians. 

Tbh, I don't blame you with Scott's bass lessons. For a guy who builds a reputation from being smarmy and clickbait videos, I find it hard to respect him, his opinions and lessons myself 😅 so, welcome to the club 😂

Hope you enjoy the forum anyhow and make some great friends, as I have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome! 

I’ve found the best way to stretch my playing is to listen to songs I love and find basslines that are slightly intimidating for me to learn. Nothing impossible, just enough to push my limit.

It takes perseverance, but I’ve found with age (and kids) I have a bit more of that than I did when I was first learning to play as a teenager.

I then record and post the outcomes on YT/FB/IG which keeps me honest (if I’m not playing it well enough to put out in the world, have I really learnt it?)

Might not work for everyone, but I’ve found this to be a great way to keep challenging myself.  

• Thanks 1

On 09/11/2021 at 20:19, theyellowcar said:

Welcome! 

I’ve found the best way to stretch my playing is to listen to songs I love and find basslines that are slightly intimidating for me to learn. Nothing impossible, just enough to push my limit.

It takes perseverance, but I’ve found with age (and kids) I have a bit more of that than I did when I was first learning to play as a teenager.

I then record and post the outcomes on YT/FB/IG which keeps me honest (if I’m not playing it well enough to put out in the world, have I really learnt it?)

Might not work for everyone, but I’ve found this to be a great way to keep challenging myself.  

these are great tips, thank you. I'll aim to start posting some vids on my insta, hopefully that'll give me some motivation!

• Like 1

Welcome Saskia

I agree that some of the lessons on SBL are a bit complex and intimidating, however there are many which are easy to jump into and that you'll benefit from. You just need to pick those which will stretch your abilities and knowledge and move you to the next stage. Use SBL as the great resource it is, take what you need, leave that which you don't.

I disagree with those who criticise Scott for the way he presents his YT videos, he explains why he presents them in the way he does in one of his videos. For somebody who's giving players the chance to expand their abilities and technique, many for FREE, I think he gets a lot of undeserved stick.

Playing with other musicians will always help you to use the stuff you've learnt and will bring on your confidence - which is no bad thing.

Perseverance is the key...

• Like 1