Why become a member? ×

Engaging with Music 2021

Romeo2

Ugh, someone's learnt how to use MS Visio to prepare slides for PowerPoint presentation.... Death by vaguely not-quite-useful infographics... How can 'attending live music including live streaming' be a thing? You're either 'attending a live event', or 'you are watching a streamed event' I don't think you can regard those as quite the same thing... ymmv

One of the best presentations/lectures I ever went to was at an IT technical conference where the guy did a really good job on the subject of 'how' to present data. Unless your audience really understands the base data well, bar charts and graphs convey very little to most people.  

Fair enough, but apart from the not so perfect graphs and charts there is some interesting stuff in there which kind of surprised me, for example people listen to music much more than I thought, people seek out music and also as seen on pp10-11 during the pandemic people used music for their wellbeing. Now this may be obvious to musicians and people who are into music on a daily basis, and I was very much of the belief people don't care about music as much 'as they used to', etc, turns out I was fortunately wrong. 

What also rather surprised me is the extent to which people use illegal ways to listen to/obtain music, still, despite availability for free or tiny amounts for streaming services subscriptions. It's rather sad too, considering this was the year that showed how dire the situation has turned out to be for musicians and the army of people employed in sectors revolving around music - still so many people want music for free.

6 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

You're either 'attending a live event', or 'you are watching a streamed event' I don't think you can regard those as quite the same thing... ymmv

It is perfectly possible to go to a live event and while you are there, watch a streamed event. Don't know why you would, but it is possible!

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree that now everyone is discussing the music that modern artists make, and they say that it's terrible. It has always been essential for me to be aware of what is happening around me, even if people much younger than me make the most significant cultural changes. I see a trend towards mental health among young people in their art, which they do, and I like it. I often listen to contemporary artists, and I can even buy concerts tickets on this site if I like a performer. And I notice how much the themes in the music are changing; now young people are not afraid to raise the topics of sex, self-love, and health, which is very important in our time

Edited by fukaerisans