Why become a member? ×

Mark King Jazz on EBay

AndyTravis

Right.

these are apparently rubbish, and they’re slated everywhere and it’s a fanboy thing to do…

but I’ve waited since I was 13.

one is on eBay, 12 miles away.

and it’s time for me to have a go,

not that anyone would bid due to the reputation 😂

but please god, let me have a go.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I hadn't heard of the MK Jazz, so I Googled it.

I don't know if posting these links is a help or a hindrance...

https://www.mansons.co.uk/pre-owned-fender-american-deluxe-mark-king-bass-trans-blue

https://reverb.com/uk/item/4662071-fender-mark-king-signature-jazz-bass-29-of-42-rare-free-uk-delivery

the reverb one is where this eBay seller got it from.

the mansions one is one that sold about 4/5 years ago.

😑

20 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Is it not just a US deluxe with LEDs?

Doesn’t matter I’ve not bought it.

it’s a deluxe with led’s and flat fingerboard radius.

it’s one of those “if you don’t get it, you’re really not going to empathise” things 😂

Crisis averted 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

Doesn’t matter I’ve not bought it.

it’s a deluxe with led’s and flat fingerboard radius.

it’s one of those “if you don’t get it, you’re really not going to empathise” things 😂

Crisis averted 

I get it. Sorry you missed out mate. Bass Direct had one in yonks ago and it a hell of a lot cheaper than that eBay one. Wish I had tried it, but I have something very similar, so didn’t. Another one will appear someday I’m sure.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I hadn't heard of the MK Jazz, so I Googled it.

I don't know if posting these links is a help or a hindrance...

https://www.mansons.co.uk/pre-owned-fender-american-deluxe-mark-king-bass-trans-blue

https://reverb.com/uk/item/4662071-fender-mark-king-signature-jazz-bass-29-of-42-rare-free-uk-delivery

Wow, I'd forgotten he played these! That was an odd thing to behold.

I'm surprised they don't have a good reputation though - it's a Fender Jazz!

4 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Wow, I'd forgotten he played these! That was an odd thing to behold.

I'm surprised they don't have a good reputation though - it's a Fender Jazz!

the journey of these was a bit convoluted, fender, sims and Iceni/Zoot all had a hand in them.

Was about to say that @AndyTravis... And that may explain a lot of things as it's not really a Fender, but more an assembly of not the best pieces Fender had. Looks like a kind of joke and a rush needed endorsement. I had the opportunity to play one thanks to a friend of mine who is a Mark King (almost diehard) fan, but he came to his senses and didn't buy it eventually (maybe because of me telling him it was a real crap bass).

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Ah well. It’s gone now.

will probably resurface in a couple of years at £2500

🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh well - all’s right with the world then - also I still don’t have a NAMM Stingray and one of our fellow forum members now has the appropriate number 😂😀

Regarding the MK (42 only) Jazz Basses, I always took it that as there appears to be a majority of people on forums that think MK is senseless noodling (sorry that’s wrong, that was a Jaco description 😩) - but certainly don’t like slap bass and definitely don’t like MK, then what chance a signature Jazz!! 

I know there’s a certain amount of panning and in equal or greater measure hero worship of what some may consider rather ordinary Fender models, I thought these potentially, but in particular, were being rather unfairly panned and am willing to give them a chance - I like the colour and the LEDs (and Iceni basses).  However I’m one of the people who appreciate MK is one of the best bass players ever and really like his playing - wish I could do it!! 

Players like MK have always focussed opinion from some players - I am reminded that, having attended with the same guitarist amongst others a Stanley Clarke concert in about 1976 (he dropped his DB accidentally and broke the neck off in the quiet jazz bit of the set - then announced ‘don’t worry I have another’ ) 😳and a Level 42 gig at the Birmingham Uni Students Union bar IIRC in about 1980/1, said guitarist uttered after each gig “hmmm they could do with a bass player”………. 😂😁 as I say MK focusses opinion (and I remain amazed at the number of females who attend Level 42 concerts). 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 3

Don't get me wrong, I love Mark King and the way he plays bass being it slap or fingerstyle (where he's a true master, remember that he's a Jaco fan and Level 42 was originally intended to be a fusion band without any songs, but titles or tunes if you prefer, as there were no lyrics).

To me the best bass for slap has always been the Jazz Bass, but his signature model seems to have all wrong.

Some instruments are a disaster and this is one.

• Like 1

I remember playing a couple of these in shops when they were new ( how can it be over twenty years ago 😯?) and I can confirm that they were okay but definitely nothing special. I certainly wouldn't pay a lot of money for one. The neck is significantly slimmer than the standard model . I seem to remember that Sims shaved the neck down as well as fitting the LEDs.

I bought a new American Deluxe Jazz Bass shortly after these came out, the one with the Noiseless pickups and fairly nondescript preamp. That bass sounded decent enough but it didn't play very well, and I doubt you would find much discernable  sonic difference between one of these MK iterations and the run of the mill American Deluxe model of that era. There is also every chance that one of these basses suffers from the same inconsistencies as my bass did so let the buyer beware ,as the saying goes.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 3