Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Electric Upright with DB feel at £1k-2k?

JJB

Hi all

The title says it all.

I’m looking for an upright electric bass that has the same feel as a DB (ie

(1) the back of neck has the same feel with a heel at the level of the D,

(2) adjustable external bars (or equivalent) to maintain my body at the right angle with my instrument and

(3) a fret board and bridge allowing for arco playing, light weight (ie less than 6-7 kg) for less than than £2,000, ideally not much above £1,000.

All these criteria are very important: hence I haven’t bought an NS Design NXT4 as it has no heel to speak of, or it would give me bad habits when I go back to using an acoustic DB.

Thanks in advance.

On 31/10/2021 at 13:59, owen said:

I totally get the D stop thing. I had an NS5 and barely moved around because I did not have that physical reference point. https://gollihurmusic.com/  sell a stick on one which solved all my problems. This does not solve the external bars issue, but it is a start. I was ok without the external bars once I got the D stop.

Thanks for this insight, I'll look into that too.

On 06/11/2021 at 18:27, petebassist said:

Yamaha SLB-200, Eminence, or  Mo Clifton might suit your spec physical-wise, but all rare and over your budget, unless heavily used. Good luck with your search.

I’ve had all these and the MK bass should be on the list too. It’s a handmade instrument that’s of incredible quality.

22 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I’ve had all these and the MK bass should be on the list too. It’s a handmade instrument that’s of incredible quality.

I've posted the same question on talkbass.com and the MK bass was recommended there too, thank you.

• 1 month later...

Hi. 

Still looking? 

I might be willing to part with my Yamaha SLB100 (in your budget and not the£4000+ new price tag!) 

As you probably already know the SLB100 is the king of Eub's. Perfect geometry and is perfect for arco. 

I went for the 100 rather than the 200 as the longer body makes it more stable when standing and really digging in. 

It also has a Full Circle PUP fitted for a superb double bass sound in addition to the Yamaha electronics. 

Message me if you want want more info.