Why become a member? ×

Allparts necks

Jono Bolton

What's the consensus on these? I've been looking at Allparts for a P Bass neck; are they decent quality, and more importantly, are they a straight fit for a P Bass body? They only seem to be available in a 10" radius, but I'm really enjoying the 7.25" radius on my JV Precision just now.

54 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

They're excellent.

Do they need any adjustment to make them fit? I bought a neck recently that wasn't Allparts but was made in the same factory, and the heel was fractionally too wide for the pocket of the body I have; the heel width was correct, the heel was less tapered than the walls of the neck pocket. I tested the other necks I had (2 vintage Japanese Squiers and 1 modern Chinese Squier), and they dropped straight into the pocket, so it seems like it's a standard Fender size & shape.

Edited by Jono Bolton

3 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Aren't Allparts necks made under licence from Fender?  In which case they ought to fit well. Just because another neck is from the same factory does not mean it will be made tk the same dimensions as the Allparts branded item.

Aye, they're licensed by Fender so I'd assume the fit would be spot on (within reason). This project has had so many false starts that I'm starting to question everything  😅

Edited by Jono Bolton
  • Like 1

I think there may be a difference between Squier and Fender neck sizes. I had a MIM Fender licenced neck but it was a couple of mm too wide to fit a Squier neck pocket. I guess they do this to make it harder to turn Squiers into Fenders just by swapping out the neck without doing some adjustment work. 

13 minutes ago, Velarian said:

I think there may be a difference between Squier and Fender neck sizes. I had a MIM Fender licenced neck but it was a couple of mm too wide to fit a Squier neck pocket. I guess they do this to make it harder to turn Squiers into Fenders just by swapping out the neck without doing some adjustment work. 

That's true of some Squiers, but not all. The ones I have are a JV and SQ series, which were made to US specs, and in some cases US parts. The other is a Matt Freeman P Bass, which is also US/Mex specs as far as I know, same as the Classic Vibes. The body I have is guitarbuild, which is made to standard Fender specs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jono Bolton said:

The other is a Matt Freeman P Bass, which is also US/Mex specs as far as I know, same as the Classic Vibes. 

Yeah the Matt Freeman and the first run of the Squier CV 70's are exactly the same Bass, the only difference is minor and its the supposed Block inlays on the CV. BTW I can vouch that a Mexican Fender neck fits a 70's CV body perfectly.

Love the all parts neck on my bitsa jazz. All in new this would cost around 900 in parts in the current market but they do turn up second hand with a pretty frightening depreciation. I picked it up for £300! The bitsa builds just don’t hold their value. 

If I had to buy again, I’d certainly buy another all parts neck over a Mexican fender replacement. 

FAA8E8EA-0A91-4444-955A-AF386EAA0BDA.png

From Allparts not so small print.

"All necks may require fret leveling and polish, and may need to be fine tune to fit your instrument. This is normal and not a defect".

Much the same for Fender necks.

"Because Fender genuine replacement necks have not been mounted to guitar bodies, nut slots must be cut by qualified personnel. Other installation processes may be required, such as fret work, fitting the neck to the neck pocket, and other instrument setup procedures".

They are great necks - really well made. I slotted one into a Warmoth body recently (standard P neck pocket size) with no fit issues.

It has a real fascination as a bass now - something really solid feeling about the tone that was very different from the roasted maple neck I tried in there. I'd describe it as big and solid - everything a p neck should be! As noted it might benefit from some expert fettling from a luthier, but I think you'd expect that from almost any supplier selling at under £4-500.

If you want a differnt radius I think you'd have to go custom.

Edited by bloke_zero
Present tense

On 30/10/2021 at 21:51, Bassfinger said:

Aren't Allparts necks made under licence from Fender?  In which case they ought to fit well. Just because another neck is from the same factory does not mean it will be made tk the same dimensions as the Allparts branded item.

They are - the one I had was stamped “fender lic”