Why become a member? ×

Played bass few times in 3 years - when do I change my strings?

Chrisbassboy5

Hi All, 

I have an Ibanez SR655NTF and have a 5 string set of expensive flat round bass strings (Thomastic-Infeld roundwound jazz). I have played the bass for a few times in 3 years, never gigged (bedroom practice for a few mins only, maybe 10 mins ocassionally. The strings were £80 quid so reluctant to replace unless necessary? This might be a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question but should I replace them as I want to play more now.

what should I be looking at to see if they are dead?

The strings were top of the range ones and reputed to last a few years before replacement…. I’m stuck. Any advice appreciated. 

cheers Chris

Edited by Chrisbassboy5
Typo

27 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

I broke the A string.

I’ve never broke a string before, I had something fall against my jazz  and put a Nick in a couple , so I had to change them 

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Wastrel, plenty of life still left in those!

your right Lozz 👍

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Folks who like super bright round wounds are the ones who change strings most regularly, flatwounds if wiped down now and again, or never if you thats your thing can just let it be. Flatwounds get better with age!

When played double bass we wiped down with old aftershave as it dries quick, what would you suggest?

1 hour ago, Chrisbassboy5 said:

Lol, jeez. Unbelievable as you hear all the time about the need to change strings regularly….

Players change roundwounds regularly as they can lose their top end quite quickly. Flatwounds don't have so much top end so not really an issue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EssentialTension said:

If you are going to change the strings, then many people here will volunteer to take the old ones off your hands.

But the usual advice from flatwound users is don't change them.

Incredible to not have to change them, why the hell don’t others do the same? Guess cos of the sound they want although so much more expensive in the long run to do that eh?..

• Like 1