Why become a member? ×

Bassists for inspiration

Biscuit_Bass

Hi all,

Would anyone be able to recommend some of their favorite bassists? I'd like to have a watch/listen to a few.

In terms of music genres, I like pretty much everything but I'm leaning towards the funk side of things with bass. I love slap bass lines and soloes.

I've been watching some Victor Wooten, Lee Sklar and Charles Berthoud but need many, many more :D

Cheers

Ronnie Lane, Joe Osborne, Bob Babbitt. Two great session players and one top songwriter/player/singer. Ronnie's tone on The Poacher is wonderful (now someone is going to come along and tell me he wasn't playing bass on that track which is very possible)!

Check out Billy Gould from Faith No More. I think he's one of the greats. What makes him particularly great to me is his judgement for when to keep it really simple but absolutely solid. His use of slap to accent parts and never get carried away with it is excellent. His pick tone is superb as well. Check out Midlife Crisis and From Out Of Nowhere 

Tim Commerford of Rage's ability to provide a funky groove behind rather chaotic guitar and vocals is excellent, he just brings the band together. Check out Renegades of Funk and Bulls on Parade

Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath is just genius. His parts are often more complex than the guitar part. Check our NIB and Iron Man

Cliff Burton of Metallica (up to Master of Puppets) was the master of making the bass the lead instrument. Check out Orion and Anesthesia (pulling teeth)

• Like 3

Plainly influenced by Bobby Vega, there's Cody Wright:

Can't mention funky without Rocco Prestia (or anyone who depped for him, including Booby V):

Some Chuck Rainey perhaps:

When not being a full on prog guy, Tony Levin can funk:

And, of course, you can't say funk and not include Bernard Edwards:

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1