Why become a member? ×

Kawai Aquarius

Cosmo Valdemar

A good friend of mine runs a charity shop and someone dropped this bass off the other day. He hasn't got a clue what it is or what it's worth so naturally he brought it to me.

I haven't got a clue what it is or how much it's worth. 

So let's see - it's a Kawai Aquarius, I'm guessing early 80s, and in very good condition.  A bit of light wear and grime to the  body but the neck seems pristine and is absolutely gorgeous.

The pots are a bit scratchy but it all works.

Can anyone* shed some light on it and how much it should fetch? Honestly, I'm very tempted to make him an offer myself!

* @Bassassin

20211029_205705.jpg

20211029_205714.jpg

20211029_205736.jpg

20211029_205802.jpg

• Like 4

Looks like it's an AQB450, from this 1983 catalogue. Headstock is a bit different to the one @LukeFRC posted:

3787658563_bc6b9967fe_o.jpg

Probaly not going to fetch quite as much as something similar like an Ibanez Blazer, although quality-wise it's on a par. Kawai is pretty obscure as a brand but that itself might make it collectable to the right punter. Looks like it could clean up to near new condition, think if I was selling it I'd put it up at £300 but be prepared to accept a fair bit less.

15 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Honestly, I'm very tempted to make him an offer myself!

But yeah, do that. B|

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Looks like it's an AQB450, from this 1983 catalogue. Headstock is a bit different to the one @LukeFRC posted:

3787658563_bc6b9967fe_o.jpg

Probaly not going to fetch quite as much as something similar like an Ibanez Blazer, although quality-wise it's on a par. Kawai is pretty obscure as a brand but that itself might make it collectable to the right punter. Looks like it could clean up to near new condition, think if I was selling it I'd put it up at £300 but be prepared to accept a fair bit less.

But yeah, do that. B|

Where would Basschat be without you? It does actually feel similar to my Blazer, particularly the neck,  although the body is smaller and lighter.

I've just tried tweaking the neck and the rod seems to be moving just as it should... I think I'm going to make him an offer!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

What do we (ie you) know about the S-2000 pickup?

The sum total of Jack Excrement, unfortunately. Although we can make a reasonable assumption it's a decent generic P clone, similar to those in a million other MIJ basses of the era and possibly made by Maxon. And if it turns out to be guff, a reasonably inexpensive, simple (and easily reversible when flog-it time comes) upgrade.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

The sum total of Jack Excrement, unfortunately. Although we can make a reasonable assumption it's a decent generic P clone, similar to those in a million other MIJ basses of the era and possibly made by Maxon. 

At the mention of the Blazer, I had readied a space in the temple next to the Super P for it.

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

The sum total of Jack Excrement, unfortunately. Although we can make a reasonable assumption it's a decent generic P clone, similar to those in a million other MIJ basses of the era and possibly made by Maxon. And if it turns out to be guff, a reasonably inexpensive, simple (and easily reversible when flog-it time comes) upgrade.

It sounds like a P to me, unsurprisingly. Although I think it's still wearing the original flats, there's very little treble left 😄

But you're right, even if the guts have perished, it's straightforward to replace them.

• 11 months later...
 l 29/10/2021 a las 16:15, LukeFRC dijo:

Había uno rojo en eBay a principios de este año, Bassassin y yo decíamos que era una pena que estaba tan al sur. 

Hola cómo están todos, saludos desde Colombia, hace unos días estaba en busca de un bajo, llegué a una tienda de música en mi región y encontré un acuarius bass aqb 500, no sabía nada de la marca cuando lo probé me gustó el sonido por lo que lo adquirí, tiene todo original, aunque le reemplace los potenciómetros por unos cromados pero aún conservo los originales. Lo limpie brille, tiene detalles de uso como rayones, pero su parte eléctrica todo funciona muy bien. Me puse a investigar y aunque no se sabe cómo llego a Medellín Colombia, si me di de cuenta que es de 1983. Alguna recomendación al respecto en cuanto a este tipos de bajos. Ya que aquí en Colombia no es muy común ver uno de estos. Muestro las fotos de antes de adquirirlo y luego de la restauración.

IMG-20221012-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20221012-WA0017.jpg

IMG_20221016_204049.jpg

IMG_20221016_204131.jpg

IMG_20221016_204158.jpg

IMG_20221016_204212.jpg

• Like 2