Why become a member? ×

Kicked out of band...

mlauritsen

On 06/11/2021 at 08:11, uk_lefty said:

Auditions are a bit of a funny thing. I learned the hard way that one meeting and jam through a prescribed list of songs is ok, but the bad habits creep out after a few sessions. I had a guitarist who impressed enough at meeting 1, then slowly tried to take over, didn't learn the songs, just wanted to show off expensive gear, sat out some songs altogether, tried to push everyone else to do more... Muso types get too excited. When there's a new band they smell the opportunity to live out their teenage dream of rocking the stage with their favourite cover songs, that like in your audition don't always hang together as a coherent set (IMO some of those songs just don't work together for the same band to be playing unless they change the feel of those that don't fit). Everyone wants their spotlight Rock-God moment and nobody wants to play the four on the floor three chord wonders that have filled dancefloors for generations because "it's boring". Always had this argument with an old drummer. If a part is boring, IMO good! that means it's easy to remember, then if appropriate it's your responsibility to make it interesting without messing up the whole song. 

My advice would always be to go for an established band. They have a set, a following, recordings, and gigs. They also probably have their feet on the ground and realistic expectations. If joining a new venture it's ok to experiment with songs and sounds but build it towards an identity so it's not just a jukebox of "something for everyone". Something for everyone doesn't exist. I've never got to play some songs live that I have always, always wanted to (Fire by Crazy World of Arthur Brown) because it just wouldn't fit any band I've ever been in and would probably be a bit weird. But that's what a band needs to do, work together and work for their audience.

Totally agree about "boring" parts - that's great! Let's make it our own and do something with it.

Our drummer recently called Paranoid "boring", but it's the song we consistently have the most fun playing. Turns out, if you can't play boring songs perfectly as a band, forget about the complicated stuff!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mlauritsen said:

Turns out, if you can't play boring songs perfectly as a band, forget about the complicated stuff!

Spot on! 

Reminds me of a gig I did where the drummer (an excellent drummer who never moaned) found Sunshine of Your Love so easy he was having fun chucking spare drumsticks at people during the song because he could play it one handed. That's how he had fun with the song! Not sure I completely recommend that though!

On 06/11/2021 at 10:30, mike257 said:

Seems like an odd mix of songs, looks to me like a band that doesn't know what it wants to be and who it's audience are. I can't quite see the crossover between people who'd watch a covers band playing Rise Against tunes and people who'd watch a covers band playing Chris Isaak!

You may have been presumptuous in assuming you were "in" but you may have also dodged what seems like a practice room project that may not have had legs anyway. 

From the tone of the thread, seems like it's been a learning experience that's given you some insight in to next steps and how to approach things in future, so it's by no means been wasted effort, just another step in the never ending journey of learning that we're all on with this stuff!

I agree that the mix is a strange one - that was one reason I assumed we were a "for-fun" band, and hence, if the others were having fun playing with me (which was the only feedback I got), no reason to doubt my spot.

Main lesson learned was definitely "don't assume you're in". Unless there's a contract in blood, assume it's up in the air, and invest accordingly. And always be ready for the boot, however subtle / kind it might be. 🙂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mlauritsen said:

Main lesson learned was definitely "don't assume you're in".

Never assume you're in, you can be chucked out of a band, or the others can shut the band down and start it up again the next day with the exact same members, songs, but with a new bass player and new name. Well, not even always a new name. 

22 minutes ago, TimR said:

The only problem with adding things to boring songs, is they often end up a complete mess. They're only boring to play, non-musicians, listening and dancing (and buying the original) obviously have a different opinion. 

Of course, you have to serve the song. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Of course, you have to serve the song. 

But at the same time, I think it's valid to ask, what would the Beatles sound like and what would they'd  have done if they had access samplers and pro-tools.

I think there's a line. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1

Not very fair of them keeping it from you. Afraid that happens in bands and you just get annoyed for a few days and then let it go.

Once while i was setting up for an audition 2 of the girls in the band casually mentioned that the guy just before me would be ideal for the band. I auditioned and as expected didnt get the job. Think i knew that was gonna be the case after their comment. 

Suffice to say i got an email from them a year later asking if i would be interested in joining. I referred to their earlier comment when i auditioned and had great satisfaction in declining the offer. 

My thoughts were "i dont want to be part of a band like that"

Think you're best out of it.

Dave

8 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I guess he was waiting for you to start a thread on Songs you always wanted to play but never did...

which you did pretty sharpish to be fair. In fact it’s already on page 2🙁.

I couldn't pick up the rhythm, whether it was an impatient, searching for an answer rhythm, or a rhythm of fanfare and anticipation.

• Thanks 1

On 07/11/2021 at 21:35, dmccombe7 said:

Not very fair of them keeping it from you. Afraid that happens in bands and you just get annoyed for a few days and then let it go.

Once while i was setting up for an audition 2 of the girls in the band casually mentioned that the guy just before me would be ideal for the band. I auditioned and as expected didnt get the job. Think i knew that was gonna be the case after their comment. 

Suffice to say i got an email from them a year later asking if i would be interested in joining. I referred to their earlier comment when i auditioned and had great satisfaction in declining the offer. 

My thoughts were "i dont want to be part of a band like that"

Think you're best out of it.

Dave

Getting the boot from one band has greatly increased my appreciation of the other band and the guys I play with there.

Practice has been an absolute triumph motivationwise the last couple of weeks. 😉

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mlauritsen said:

Getting the boot from one band has greatly increased my appreciation of the other band and the guys I play with there.

Practice has been an absolute triumph motivationwise the last couple of weeks. 😉

Try to take the positive from every situation. Best way to go. 👍

Dave

• Like 2

I wish I’d get kicked out of my band. I don’t want to be the one that calls time on the whole sorry mess, but I’m afraid I’ll have to.

EDIT: I’ve had a lie down with a cold flannel on my head and feeling much better now…

Edited by Trueno
  • Sad 1

On 07/11/2021 at 23:45, Nail Soup said:

I guess he was waiting for you to start a thread on Songs you always wanted to play but never did...

which you did pretty sharpish to be fair. In fact it’s already on page 2🙁.

That explains it then, I don't think I went past page 1. <makes note to look further down in future>

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lonestar said:

My favourite line, which I look forward to using at the earliest opportunity when kicking someone out of the band: “It’s not you it’s us; we don’t like you.”

My fave: "I'm leaving to join the circus - so I can work with some professional clowns". 

• Like 1