Why become a member? ×

? for the speaker gurus.

Marty Forrer

I have a GK Neo 112 cab in which the crossover and horn are disabled (I dislike horns). I have just picked up a new GK Neo 112 driver and am going to build a cab for it. I would like the new cab to be smaller so am contemplating a sealed box. I figure because the drivers are identical there should not be any issues. Am I correct? I have all the low end response I need from the ported GK cab. An alternative would be to rear port it like 90's SWR cabs (basically just a large hole in the back panel) but I'm thinking there may be some low frequency phase issues between a rear port and a front port. Thoughts please?

24 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Assuming it's the same driver, if you copy the other cab you won't have any issues.

General rule of thumb is ported plus sealed is the least likely combination to work well together.

I was hoping not to build a copy of the GK cab because I would like to reduce the size of the new cab.

Even with identical drivers a sealed cab and ported cab will have totally different low frequency response and displacement limited output. You may be able to get a useful result, if you've got the engineering skill to pull it off, but otherwise it's a shot in the dark.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Assuming it's the same driver, if you copy the other cab you won't have any issues.

General rule of thumb is ported plus sealed is the least likely combination to work well together.

Least likely is either ported or sealed next to a folded horn IME.

• Like 2

Is it the same driver as the (newer) 150MB combo, favoured by upright bassists? I'm picking from the size of the box it could only be sealed, but even if it isn't it surely is small.

Borrow one, uncouple your amp from your cab, use yours as the extension to the MB. If that all works out you can copy the MB cab dimensions.

24 minutes ago, Marty Forrer said:

OK, agedhorse and Bill Fitzmaurice are people I respect greatly, so I will accept that a sealed cab is not going to work.

It's not that it can't work. It's just a lot of work to find out by trial and error and the odds aren't great.

What's the smallest GK combo that uses your driver? If that size works for you, trial back on...

• Like 2

I'm adept at woodworking, I have built two Greenboy Fearful 12/6 cabs in years gone by, so I'm going to do some experimenting and see what happens. I will build a sealed cab, see what that goes like, then try a rear port, and if neither work I'll scrap it and build a 2x12 cab based on the GK cab. My need is to keep this as compact as possible due to space restrictions in my vehicle. I carry my PA and subs, my monitor rig, my light rig as well as my bass rig, including an upright, in my Honda Odyssey, hence my need for things to be compact.

Edited by Marty Forrer

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

Seems like overkill?

If I read it right the (monitor) light rig is the combo for when you leave the bigboy bass rig in the car and run with the full PA?

I didn't word that well. I meant PA monitor system (4 wedges) and lighting stands. I'm running a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 into my 300w GK 112. I really need to get that second speaker going before I blow the first one to pieces! :) I like to keep the bass out of the PA to keep the vocals pristine. If I really have to I will build a clone, but I will do some experimenting. 

1 hour ago, Marty Forrer said:

I didn't word that well. I meant PA monitor system (4 wedges) and lighting stands. I'm running a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 into my 300w GK 112. I really need to get that second speaker going before I blow the first one to pieces! :) I like to keep the bass out of the PA to keep the vocals pristine. If I really have to I will build a clone, but I will do some experimenting. 

This is possibly the bit to look at first. The way to keep the vocals 'pristine' is to keep the level of bass reaching the vocal mics to an absolute minimum. What you want is for the audience to hear both the bas and the vocals and everything else clearly in exactly the right amounts. That's not about keeping it out of the PA it's about getting nice clean signals to the PA. The perfect solution for vocals is no backline at all, no sound bouncing around the stage and being picked up jumbled by the vocal mics. Ideally use in-ears but next best thing use your wedge monitors for bass. If you have to have a bass amp on stage use it for your own monitoring and keep it as low as possible. 

As to the new speaker without technical details we can't really tell you what sized cab sealed or otherwise would work well. Can you get the TS parameters for the speaker?