Why become a member? ×

Seamoon Funk Machine or Solid Gold Supa Funk

Boodang

Watching demos of the new Solid Gold Supa Funk means I have to scratch the itch that is a new filter pedal. Lots of talk about the supa funk but not so much about the funk machine.... does anyone have experience of the Seamoon pedal?

I'm going to buy one of them but not sure which. It's going to be used in a band where we do retro 70s stuff, think Starsky & Hutch theme tune meets Herbie Hancock, along with more contemporary but old school influenced groove. I'm not after replicating any particular sound, it just has to be funky.

• Like 2

I haven't played the Solid Gold, but I do have the Seamoon.  It's different to every other filter I've got because it only does a downward sweep, so it doesn't do that Bootsy type of Mutron sound. If you listen to The Brecker Brothers album 'Heavy Metal Bebop', you can get a vibe of what it's like, because the original is all over that album. You can also set it to be a monstrous sub pedal if you want.

I love the Seamoon, but I tend to use it alongside my Emma Discumbobulator for two distinct filter sounds.

• Like 2

I have had a Seamoon for a few weeks although I haven’t had the time or opportunity to really dig into properly.

Like Doddy says above, it’s a bit unique in just being a down sweep, something that I don’t think everyone realises despite a few videos on YouTube.

The consensus seems to be its tricky to dial in but I didn’t find that. I found a few sounds I like and it was easy to get a the cool synthy down sweep sound I had in my head and have heard on records. It has a huge amount of shaping considering the one thing it does.

It’s weird but since getting the Seamoon I hear the down sweep filter on more and more songs when the radio is on. It’s obviously a bit part of a lot of synth sounds and I need to start writing them down to jam along to.

I have just picked up a 3Leaf Proton which has a down sweep, and my plan was to let the Seamoon go. The down sweep on the 3Leaf isn’t as good and I am now battling my brain which is telling me to get some money back.

At the moment it compliments the ‘normal’ filter on the Proton and so I’m thinking about keeping both. Given the slightly negative reviews of the solid gold and my experience of the Seamoon, I’d say go for it, it’s great fun, but if you haven’t already, get your head around the fact it won’t sound like a normal filter.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sort of drawn to the Seamoon purely because it's so different, which has to be fun right? Also, it has a great paint job which will look good on the pedal board! Not so easily available tho but that's also part of the draw. 

• Like 2

On 28/10/2021 at 20:09, NJE said:

I have had a Seamoon for a few weeks although I haven’t had the time or opportunity to really dig into properly.

Like Doddy says above, it’s a bit unique in just being a down sweep, something that I don’t think everyone realises despite a few videos on YouTube.

The consensus seems to be its tricky to dial in but I didn’t find that. I found a few sounds I like and it was easy to get a the cool synthy down sweep sound I had in my head and have heard on records. It has a huge amount of shaping considering the one thing it does.

It’s weird but since getting the Seamoon I hear the down sweep filter on more and more songs when the radio is on. It’s obviously a bit part of a lot of synth sounds and I need to start writing them down to jam along to.

I have just picked up a 3Leaf Proton which has a down sweep, and my plan was to let the Seamoon go. The down sweep on the 3Leaf isn’t as good and I am now battling my brain which is telling me to get some money back.

At the moment it compliments the ‘normal’ filter on the Proton and so I’m thinking about keeping both. Given the slightly negative reviews of the solid gold and my experience of the Seamoon, I’d say go for it, it’s great fun, but if you haven’t already, get your head around the fact it won’t sound like a normal filter.

If your brain wins and you want to get some money back for the Seamoon, do let me know!

I've had my eye on that seamoon for a while. I'm a massive fan of Will Lee and that's his filter sound. I actually prefer the downsweep as it's very synthy. The show funk looked really good,But a couple of bad reviews have put me off. The seamoon and a mutron style filter will complement each other really well.

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Anyone know where a Seamoon can be purchased? 

I think you can get them direct, or there’s a store called Prymaxe, or try on Reverb. They all come from the states though, but I had no issues getting mine over and didn’t pay anything extra.

Yep, Break the Machine out of stock so went online to get from Seamoon direct. Postage is a flat rate of around $35, they didn't mention if there was a waiting list so I'm assuming they're in stock. Then it's just a case of import duties!

• 2 weeks later...

Some sound clips. I'll do a full write up soon.

1. Supa Funk with classic funk settings (forward sweep).

2. Funk Machine in 'sponge' mode.

3. Supa Funk & Funk Machine in parallel. 

4. Supa Funk with 'talky-box' settings (reverse sweep).

5. Funk Machine 'dub-sub' mode ( not as dub as it goes but as much as I can cope with!).

Squier VM Jazz with Creamery pu's and Galli Synthesis flatwounds. 

50_SGFX classic funk.mp3

53_Seamoon Sponge.mp3

55_Supa Funk + Seamoon.mp3

57_SGFX Talky-box.mp3

60_Seamoon sub-dub.mp3

• Like 1

On 17/11/2021 at 20:29, Boodang said:

Some sound clips. I'll do a full write up soon.

1. Supa Funk with classic funk settings (forward sweep).

2. Funk Machine in 'sponge' mode.

3. Supa Funk & Funk Machine in parallel. 

4. Supa Funk with 'talky-box' settings (reverse sweep).

5. Funk Machine 'dub-sub' mode ( not as dub as it goes but as much as I can cope with!).

Squier VM Jazz with Creamery pu's and Galli Synthesis flatwounds. 

50_SGFX classic funk.mp3 414.08 kB · 5 downloads

53_Seamoon Sponge.mp3 415.51 kB · 1 download

55_Supa Funk + Seamoon.mp3 415.51 kB · 2 downloads

57_SGFX Talky-box.mp3 399.59 kB · 2 downloads

60_Seamoon sub-dub.mp3 399.59 kB · 3 downloads

I’m liking 2 & 5 ! 😃👍🏻

2 hours ago, bassfan said:

I’m liking 2 & 5 ! 😃👍🏻

Yeah, sound no. 5 was a surprise. By rolling off the depth completely on the Seamoon and just using the filter it acts more like an eq and really gives a deep but still punchy tone ( I'm using the blend control to balance the effect with the original signal). I'm using that a lot.

Sound no. 2 is the classic Brecker Brothers setting and is very controllable with playing dynamics.

Sounds like the Seamoon Funk Machine is for you!