Why become a member? ×

Budget Acid Jazz Bass Bitsa Build

PaulThePlug

Acid Jazz Bass  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Acid Jazz Bass

• Far Out Man...
    • Bad Trip

Thanks, change from black, n the cream i used on the P... Original got the white covers with the thought about painting the body with them in... but then that would hide the slanty pickups a bit, so keeping plain white to make more of a feature and will look better when the white thumb rest arrives.

Only got an Ibby GSR 200 with Reverse P n J... but the Jazz Body alone adds so much meat even unplugged... only tried it for a bit with headphones on the Zoom...

Possibly more of a styling exercise...

Need to find some time to get the 'lil Marshall MB30 practice amp going!

Shame about the buzz... I'll leave it all to settle and see what can be done. Maybe a bit more relief may help, dont want to mess with the nut, so 1st fret might be were i look first.

Had a go to sort the buzz... Took a needle file to the 1st fret... then 400 down to 3000 grit, 0000 wire wool then Autosolve Polish... no fret files or crowning tools here!.

It's a bit better... some buzz when plucked hard... don't really want to take the 1st fret any lower or might start buzzing on the 2nd... I think the nut might be a little low so kinda split the difference... Don't want to add any more relief... and cause buzz higher up the fretboard.

253790155_NutFirst.thumb.jpg.1dd9b71ea1ac4d506a5151817bb204b1.jpg

Neck ended up being about £15ish instead of £50ish as i got a partial refund as the neck wasnt gliss finished as adverised and the side fret markers at 9 had been double drilled, plugged and redrilled, and markers at 12 drilled, plugged and double drilled...

1335403588_NotGloss_9thand12thFretDrillingError2_resized.thumb.jpg.381d94850560346ecc98ec0eff614cc3.jpg

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Weather is still cold n wet... and now with a recent broken ankle... Bad Trip?.. Oh! The Irony... looks like it's gonna be about April untill the finish on this, and the ankle gets sorted...

20220115_165552.jpg.c42157469d2739723d4478213ca8de09.jpg

Oh well, at least i can put the near Week-Long 'Morphine Delirium' down as reasurch...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Weather is still cold n wet... and now with a recent broken ankle... Bad Trip?.. Oh! The Irony... looks like it's gonna be about April untill the finish on this, and the ankle gets sorted...

20220115_165552.jpg.c42157469d2739723d4478213ca8de09.jpg

Oh well, at least i can put the near Week-Long 'Morphine Delirium' down as reasurch...

ouch!

Edited by stereoplayer

I was wondering how you were getting on, both bass and injury-wise. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and hopefully warmer weather won’t be too far away. I seem recall a few years ago we had a cracking week one March where the temperature was pushing mid-twenties celsius. It would be nice to repeat that. Wishful thinking I know, but I like to live in hope. 😊

• 4 months later...

Dip Disaster!

Had another go yesters now the weather has warmed up...

Dustbin full of water... Paint, Swirl, Dunk!

388757907_JFr.thumb.jpg.229e271dd9197c5ebd81c9137dc52e63.jpg

327565453_JRr.thumb.jpg.40dd510dc7810500987749490e160513.jpg

Started off OK... then the paint kinda thinned out... Think there was not enough surface area and therefore paint area on the top of the water in the dustbin to cover the whole body as it got dunnked...

Cost of getting a bigger vessel, more paint and trying again, i think i'm gonna sand off to bare wood and go Danish like the P, or go Beeswax... and back to the black pup covers...

Oh well was a good idea, but best left to the experts... another one of those things that those that know their onions make look so easy...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Dip Disaster!

Had another go yesters now the weather has warmed up...

Dustbin full of water... Paint, Swirl, Dunk!

388757907_JFr.thumb.jpg.229e271dd9197c5ebd81c9137dc52e63.jpg

327565453_JRr.thumb.jpg.40dd510dc7810500987749490e160513.jpg

Started off OK... then the paint kinda thinned out... Think there was not enough surface area and therefore paint area on the top of the water in the dustbin to cover the whole body as it got dunnked...

Cost of getting a bigger vessel, more paint and trying again, i think i'm gonna sand off to bare wood and go Danish like the P, or go Beeswax... and back to the black pup covers...

Oh well was a good idea, but best left to the experts... another one of those things that those that know their onions make look so easy...

It’s pretty cool as is! Nicer with the hardware on I bet!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the back, but if it's formed a skin, it's probably not worth trying to save. Good effort, though! 👍

Not as random as you were attempting, but I always thought the pendulum painting process could be very effective on a bass, especially given the contours of the body and non-regular outline. Something like this (apologies for the terrible music...):

• Like 3