Why become a member? ×

It's that man again....

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again ... this would be a poorer place without his creations.

I can't think of any other luthier who generates quite so much entertainment.

Having the bridge overhang the rear of the bass by 3" is just a glorious idea, but securing the steel reinforcement plate with allen bolts is sheer genius. I'm still laughing, though tinged with disappointment that he didn't use https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-hollow-wall-anchors-8-16mm-m5-x-52mm-10-pack/12229?tc=TB9&ds_kid=92700048793290424&ds_rl=1249413&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlOmLBhCHARIsAGiJg7mZvXQ_SXoS5U3vxCUuJ4qI40-yQDZB4kGMfFVvzg_f96P1mG80C8MaAl83EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds instead.

'Makes yer proud to be British!

17 hours ago, oldslapper said:

That’s like sawing one of Carlton Palmers legs off, selling him to PSG for 200 million on the basis that he is now “improved, lightweight and streamlined”.     

I'm enjoying the Carlton Palmer reference - the man about whom his manager once said 'He covers every blade of grass out there, but that's only because his first touch is so crap...' 😃

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

I'm enjoying the Carlton Palmer reference - the man about whom his manager once said 'He covers every blade of grass out there, but that's only because his first touch is so crap...' 😃

John Beresford played with him and is not a fan in the hilarious 'under the cosh' series on YT. For any football fan of  a certain age, these are very revealing how players were treated prior to the PL

• Like 1

On 27/10/2021 at 19:58, oldslapper said:

So……

Ruin a cheap, but perfectly functional bass, claim it has been improved then charge 2.5 times the price?

That’s like sawing one of Carlton Palmers legs off, selling him to PSG for 200 million on the basis that he is now “improved, lightweight and streamlined”.   

The guy is delusional at best.  

Oi!  I know Carlton!

• Haha 1

No one has mentioned that a P pickup right up against the neck isn't going to sound like a P Bass. No idea what that jazz pickup will sound like but it must be close to the P position now. It certainly won't sound like a regular PJ.

He used to butcher the cheaper Harley Benton basses but he looks to have switched to Glarries.

It's the logos written in chunky sharpie that really crack me up. Well worth a 500% markup IMHO.

I Didn't know he was a published author. Colour me impressed!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bpc said:

No one has mentioned that a P pickup right up against the neck isn't going to sound like a P Bass. No idea what that jazz pickup will sound like but it must be close to the P position now. It certainly won't sound like a regular PJ.

He used to butcher the cheaper Harley Benton basses but he looks to have switched to Glarries.

It's the logos written in chunky sharpie that really crack me up. Well worth a 500% markup IMHO.

I Didn't know he was a published author. Colour me impressed!

Self published. 

In the same way that his instruments are self modified. 

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Self published. 

In the same way that his instruments are self modified.

Yeah I was being sarcastic. Doesn't always come across well on the internet. The "published" was intended as a jibe. Still, he seems quite proud of his work and it does seem to sell so what do we know? On second thoughts, PT Barnums famous quote probably applicable.

11 hours ago, orangepeelneil said:

Yes, I’ve had some amusement from his ‘creations’ on eBay over the years.

His trademark these days seems to be telebass headstock and custom 'mounted..' tuners….it looks the one of them has been cut down with an angle grinder here🙄

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 07.03.31.png

On the  May one he says the reason the tuners are cut down progressively is so they  get lighter towards the end of the headstock. This contributes to the 'perfect balance' TM.. genius! However on the June one they go the other way, so the headstock must be lighter?

Edited by yorks5stringer

59 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

On the  May one he says the reason the tuners are cut down progressivley is so they  get lighter towards the end of the headstock. This contributes to the 'perfect balance' TM.. genius! However on the June one they go the other way, so the headstock must be lighter?

Most enlightening.

3 hours ago, orangepeelneil said:

Yes, I’ve had some amusement from his ‘creations’ on eBay over the years.

His trademark these days seems to be telebass headstock and custom 'mounted..' tuners….it looks the one of them has been cut down with an angle grinder here🙄

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 07.03.31.png

The only reason he likes doing Tele style headstocks is that he can disguise the bargain basement origin of the original bass as every headstock can be hacked into a Tele shape, hence why every bass is now a telebass regardless of what the pickup configuration or placement is. Although it is slightly amusing that anybody searching for an actual Tele bass on eBay will be swamped by these monstrosities.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

The only reason he likes doing Tele style headstocks is that he can disguise the bargain basement origin of the original bass as every headstock can be hacked into a Tele shape, hence why every bass is now a telebass regardless of what the pickup configuration or placement is. Although it is slightly amusing that anybody searching for an actual Tele bass on eBay will be swamped by these monstrosities.

Oh God. You're right. I had to do the search to see for myself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 27/10/2021 at 23:47, Jonse said:

Anybody else tempted to read this?

Screenshot_20211027-234524~2.png

It's a shame the Kindle doesn't narrate, it would be fun to hear go a page or two, pause and say "WTF is this shyte? I'm shutting down!"

• Like 1