Why become a member? ×

It's that man again....

So……

Ruin a cheap, but perfectly functional bass, claim it has been improved then charge 2.5 times the price?

That’s like sawing one of Carlton Palmers legs off, selling him to PSG for 200 million on the basis that he is now “improved, lightweight and streamlined”.   

The guy is delusional at best.  

• Haha 1

I've said it before, I'll say it again ... this would be a poorer place without his creations.

I can't think of any other luthier who generates quite so much entertainment.

Having the bridge overhang the rear of the bass by 3" is just a glorious idea, but securing the steel reinforcement plate with allen bolts is sheer genius. I'm still laughing, though tinged with disappointment that he didn't use https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-hollow-wall-anchors-8-16mm-m5-x-52mm-10-pack/12229?tc=TB9&ds_kid=92700048793290424&ds_rl=1249413&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlOmLBhCHARIsAGiJg7mZvXQ_SXoS5U3vxCUuJ4qI40-yQDZB4kGMfFVvzg_f96P1mG80C8MaAl83EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

He eventually bought a router. Get ready for mass destruction.

IMG_20211028_094202.thumb.jpg.5c7752744e1757e0d74f13566e8e13e5.jpg

He'd have been better off not wasting his time 'scalloping the fretboard' but just trying to get 2 flat surfaces for the neck to sit in the neck pocket. What a tool ( and I don't mean the router)!

14 hours ago, binky_bass said:

The guy is a con man. He advertises what he does as significant improvements, he's a hack. 

To be fair, we'd all benefit from not promoting him. The best thing for all of us is to forget he exists. 

I disagree. He describes things accurately and provides photographic evidence. If anyone really thinks that Fender, Gibson, Yamaha and all the other manufacturers don’t know what they are doing and a neck moved into the body and the bridge left hanging off the body will make things better and they look at the pictures and pay the cash then they are getting exactly what they deserve.

I’m in the it takes all sorts of eccentricity camp …

• Like 1

Just revisiting the neck (of which he appears to have routed the heel freehand with no fence or bearing), he may be visiting A&E shortly which may affect his workflow and ability to tinker.

It's a horrorshow in so many ways, but to take tegs07 POV, it takes some cohones/lack of awareness to proudly display such ineptitude.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I disagree. He describes things accurately and provides photographic evidence.

Not really, the descriptions are massively prone to hyperbole. Once he described one of his old P copies as being suitable for pro players when in the accompanying video it had an extreme grounding issue, similarly one of his acoustics was described as having the perfect setup but the video revealed fret buzz up most of the neck. These are the ones that actually featured the listed guitar in the videos, usually they aren't the same instrument - the famous Night in Langney bass is in most of them!

I suppose you can only guage the accuracy if you have the instrument in your hands but those videos revealed some serious issues, no way were either of those two I mentioned suitable for any sort of live use. With the Grabber one I mentioned above he avoided showing the neck join, from memory he had bolted a neck with a slanted heel onto an old Kay body which had a regular neck pocket, the pictures only show you what he wants to reveal.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1