Why become a member? ×

Problem with Schaller straplocks

mowf

I've used Schaller straplocks for years and years on all my basses and they've been absolutely bombproof. Then I bought a set not so long ago for my daughter's first bass and found they'd changed the design. The older ones are just the strap buttons, and you screw them onto the bass with your original screws (which meant sometimes you might need to sand down the screw heads for them to fit in the buttons, but that's not a big problem). The new ones I bought have the screw as part of the button, it's all one piece and there's a hex socket in the end of the button you use to screw it onto the bass.

So I put a set on my daughter's bass, and after a few months, one snapped off. To be fair it had worked slightly loose, but I think the problem there was that the Straplock screw was slightly thinner than the one it replaced and so it did not screw in as tightly.

Anyhoo, it's not really a game changer on a cheap Ibanez but if this had happened on a really nice bass (i.e. one of mine) I would have found it disappointing. I've bought a couple of nice basses recently and now I don't really want to risk using the new Schallers, so I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I had my very first Schaller StrapLock failure in almost 40 years of using them the other week. Luckily it was the part that attaches to the strap that had failed (AFAICS the spring that pushes the "lock" into the button on the guitar had finally lost all of its spingyness which meant that the two parts no longer locked together securely). This was on a part that was at least 20 years old and has regular use over this time, so not bad as regards robustness. Luckily the cup nature of the StrapLock held the bass on the strap so long as I didn't thrown too many aggressive poses on stage. I suspect many more "sedate" players would never have noticed that there was a problem with it.

The upshot of this is that I ordered a new set of StrapLocks to replace the one that had failed and also the replace the one at the other end of the strap just in case, and like the OP noticed that the part that attaches to the bass had changed. And it was a good thing that this wasn't the part that I need to replace because on two of my basses the button as attached to the bass using bolts into a threaded insert rather than wood screws, so the new button would have been incompatible. I have been in touch with Schaller who have said that this is the way that all Straplock buttons are being made and there are no plans to make any where the wood screw can be replaced. 

So anyone with a bass made using unconventional materials and uses bolts rather than wood screws to hold the strap buttons on, be aware.

• Like 1

I've put Dunlop strap locks on all my basses for the last 30 years. I remain incident free.

Last month our guitarist just caught his Gibson just before it hit the floor. His Schaller strap lock failed!! It's not unusual to hear about Schaller strap lock problems.

I’ve fitted the new design to both my basses and the Schaller screws were larger than the original screws supplied with the bass.

I like the new design but you really need to tighten the knurled nut with the through holes and when very tight lock with small grub screw.

The part on the bass is very tight and a good fit so I’m happy they work very well.

The older design seems to fit the new design pegs too 

I used Schallers for a good while but invariably they started squeezing and showing signs of wear in the cup part. Now using Loxx on my electric basses for 5 years and couldn't be happier!

The hollow body has Grolsch locks. Free bonus with the pilsner 

The only straplock that fell apart on me were Ernie Ball.

Edited by Bolo

I've been using Schaller locks exclusively since I bought my Wal in 1986. Never had a single problem, not even so much as a loosening screw. My original set from '86 are still going strong. 
The new buttons don't sound too great though. Thankfully I think I've got a few of the oldies on hand, so hopefully won't need to buy any in future.

I used to use Dunlops many years, but I had one fail so switched to Schaller. The screw always worked its way loose over time. Possibly a combination of using the included screw and the resultant thread in the wood getting worn by replacing the screw.

I realised last year when I bought a new bass that I have a designated strap for each instrument and I don't really need to take the straps off. So I bought a pack of rubber washer strap locks, replaced the original buttons and screws on each bass (didn't need to touch the new one) and installed straps and washers. 18 months later, they are still rock solid.

Sometimes the simple solution is the best, for me anyway.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

With my basses I have been using the rubber washers off Grolsch beer bottles as strap locks for the last 14 years. No failures yet. 

I have Schaller straplocks on my Les Paul because it would come a cropper if the strap came loose and the original strap buttons were not deep enough to fit the old Grolsch washers. 

Edited by thodrik

Used Schaller Strap locks for years, but when they released the latest version with the 1 piece screw/button, I did think it was something of a strange move. Improvements to the strap lock nut were great, but the one piece screw/button, not so.

Thankfully, I have a few of the old versions kicking around.

6 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Dunlop's for me. Schaller had to modify their original design because it was flawed. 

The original design from the 1980s that got replaced in about 2015? Never had a problem with them, I would say that the replacement is flawed.

I've had Schallers on basses and guitars since first encountering them in 1987 on my Warwick Thumb. The nuts holding the straplocks to the strap occasionally worked loose. There was a Schaller-compatible (by Boston, I think) which eliminated this problem simply by having two nuts, so you locked the first one by tightening the second one onto it. The knurled knob (which you tighten by sticking an allen key through the hole) and grub screw on the new Schallers does mean they won't work loose as easily as the old ones, but the double nut solution is less elaborate and easier to use.

I had problems with the strap pegs for the S-Lock as my decent metric hex keys span in a couple of them - see https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/439875-schaller-s-locks-a-disappointment/?tab=comments#comment-4265610

15 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I've had Schallers on basses and guitars since first encountering them in 1987 on my Warwick Thumb. The nuts holding the straplocks to the strap occasionally worked loose.

There's the problem...

Dunlop's require no maintenance bar a squirt of lube once a year. 

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

There's the problem...

Dunlop's require no maintenance bar a squirt of lube once a year. 

It's not a significant problem, and you snipped the bit where I mentioned the solution. And I have never wanted Dunlops, they look far too prone to failure whereas Schallers cradle the strap peg. And I've never had to lube the Schallers in 34 years.