Why become a member? ×

Small amp suggestions

I’ve recently got back into playing after a very long lay off, currently enjoying my new Reverend Dub king bought from the forum. 
now obviously I need a little amp, so I ordered a vox mini beetle, fits the bill perfectly, small footprint decent tone and look ok in the front room. Unfortunately it comes with a permanent hiss even with the volume and gain at zero. It’s going straight back. 
I’m looking for something with really nice tone (my last amp was a Trace V4 15” combo) but at low volumes, I’m unlikely to gig again so that’s not a consideration at the moment. it’s also either got to be very small or not look like a spaceship in the front room. 
any suggestions?

I agree with JPJ. If you have the money, Phil Jones stuff sounds nice, looks good and is compact and unobtrusive. You can add a power amp and cab and use the excellent onboard preamp if you do decide to gig.

Edited by Dan Dare

There’s a Markbass 801 on Facebook for sale (my apols if it’s here too, haven’t checked), anyhow they’re great mini amps. I use mine with an acoustic duo and percussionist live and it’s never over half way on the volume. Great little amps. 

The Roland Bass Cubes are great little amps. I use my old Cube 30 all the time for quiet practise but it can handle rock band rehearsals at moderate volumes. It’s quite good for clean guitar too, having many EQ options and built in effects. The newer 20XL has some handy extra features such as a tuner. 

Thanks for all the suggestions, after some digging around the site I think I have a plan. A Hotone nano amp, apparently they sound like a mini SVT, not a bad thing. And. They have an aux in and headphone jack so I can take it with me to hotels when I’m working away. To partner it I’m going to build a ‘House Jam Micro Cab’ to Phil starr's design. It sounds like just the ticket for late night noodling, I’ve ordered some suitably retro vinyl and speaker grill to make it look inoffensive as well. 

Don't dismiss the GK Backline range. 

I bought a 110 when I started playing again and still have it. I find it ideal for taking to friends homes for impromptu rehearsal due to its small size but potent output. 

I recently took a 112 (100w) in p/x..had one before and was impressed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve-norris said:

Thanks for all the suggestions, after some digging around the site I think I have a plan. A Hotone nano amp, apparently they sound like a mini SVT, not a bad thing. And. They have an aux in and headphone jack so I can take it with me to hotels when I’m working away. To partner it I’m going to build a ‘House Jam Micro Cab’ to Phil starr's design. It sounds like just the ticket for late night noodling, I’ve ordered some suitably retro vinyl and speaker grill to make it look inoffensive as well. 

I've been thinking about getting one of those. Consider an ampeg svt replacement speaker to complete it. Keep us posted what you do. 

16 hours ago, steve-norris said:

If you want really portable for hotels etc, consider:

• Like 1

I would look for one of the older Ampeg Combos BA110 

There is also the smaller BA108 

They really sound nice home amps and my BA110 is loud enough for a small jam without a drummer of course 

Has aux inputs for jamming along to phone tracks etc 

And it actually sounds like an Ampeg !

Edited by BassAdder27

On 27/10/2021 at 20:13, lemmywinks said:

Promethean combo (the later 300w version, not the original one) in the classifieds for £150:

Small enough to be a home practice amp but also much more capable.

I had one a few years back. Tone was nothing to write home about (you're not going to get a great speaker at that price point) and it definitely needed an extension cab at band rehearsals but overall pretty good for the money and "fortunately" the one on here has sold otherwise I'd be tempted to get it back as a portable on-stage monitor.

• Like 1

Speaking of on-stage monitors @steve-norris an active PA monitor could actually be a very good value solution, for what you're after, particularly if you're pairing with a pre-amp pedal or a even a cheap multifx. like the Zoom B1-4, which has multiple pre-amp sims available.

E.g. an Alto TS 308 will give you all the power you need and comes in below £250.

If you are really never going to gig, I'd recommend something like the Palmer Pocket Bass Amp and a good set of head phones. Connect it up to your music source and you have much higher quality bass sound than you can get out of a small or practice amp, and it takes up no room at all.

28 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Speaking of on-stage monitors @steve-norris an active PA monitor could actually be a very good value solution, for what you're after, particularly if you're pairing with a pre-amp pedal or a even a cheap multifx. like the Zoom B1-4, which has multiple pre-amp sims available.

E.g. an Alto TS 308 will give you all the power you need and comes in below £250.

I practice at home using my B4-1 into my hifi setup.

2 minutes ago, bassman7755 said:

I practice at home using my B4-1 into my hifi setup.

👍 ^^

And (as @ bassman7755 will already know!)  it's also got a very decent LED tuner and comes with built in drum machine for home practice plus an excellent headphone amp if you fancy doing "silent" practice. That's ignoring its day job capability as a multifx. All for £65 new...say no more!

58 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I had one a few years back. Tone was nothing to write home about (you're not going to get a great speaker at that price point) and it definitely needed an extension cab at band rehearsals but overall pretty good for the money and "fortunately" the one on here has sold otherwise I'd be tempted to get it back as a portable on-stage monitor.

It's a shame they never stuck with the original 500w version and just sorted the reliability issues, the detachable 500w head in a micro combo was a great idea IMO.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

It's a shame they never stuck with the original 500w version and just sorted the reliability issues, the detachable 500w head in a micro combo was a great idea IMO.

Yep the 5110 had a great rep. I think powered PA speakers are now starting to (rightly) make serious in-roads into the bass combo market. 

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

If you are really never going to gig, I'd recommend something like the Palmer Pocket Bass Amp and a good set of head phones. Connect it up to your music source and you have much higher quality bass sound than you can get out of a small or practice amp, and it takes up no room at all.

I do a similar thing. For home practice I use a small mackie desk and headphones to mix my bass and play along to tracks and online lessons.

• Like 1

For head phones I already have a nux amp plug thing, it’s also surprisingly good at very low volume plugged into a little Bose speaker. It’s a shame about the Vox’s noise, I’ve been noodling along to some specials, sublime,Peter tosh, clash and other Friday night favourites. It really does sound nice in a retro way, I’ve not noticed the hiss this evening because I’m playing along to music but every time in between tracks that hiss just eats at me. 
I think the little Hotone amp will suit me for now, headphones are all well and good but I’ve always preferred an amp, I’m already looking at perhaps adding a Darkglass element..oh no GAS has reared its ugly head again…12 years I’ve been clean, I blame my lad, he’s a gifted little bugger on the guitar at 12 so I’ve indulged him with decent instruments and kit. I think my problem is I want something which is impossible, a big valve amp is almost like an extension of your instrument, my V4 coupled with a set of Darkstar pickups was just a match made in heaven.

As for playing live it’s not really a consideration, I stopped playing a few years after I got married, my best man was our drummer ( I took suitable precautions) ‘ my wedding ring had the bass line to ‘I was made to love her’  engraved on it, we’re getting divorced, I no longer have any connections to any live scene or players so for the foreseeable future it’s for my own enjoyment and perhaps getting my lad into playing with other people..but I still want something which sounds it’s knocking air out of you and flapping yer trousers, I think my wallet is going to get used to going out again.

Edited by steve-norris