Why become a member? ×

NBD: 2003 Music Man Bongo in Lava Pearl

Old Horse Murphy

I had one of these back in the day and really enjoyed playing it. Foolishly though, I decided it wasn't particularly practical so moved it on. 

Fast-forward at least a decade and a bit, when this one came up for sale. It's a 2003 model (which I think is the first production year) in a lovely Lava Pearl, the same colour of the one I had before. It's a lot more orange in the flesh which I really like. 

It is virtually spotless and even the ubiquitous tip chip being less than 1mm long. It weighs in at sub-9lbs and I love it. Not sure if it's a forever bass but I'm planning on having it around for a while yet. 

I appreciate they're very marmite but I'm getting increasingly old and grumpy now, I don't really care. I intend to play it and enjoy it as part of my ever-dwindling bass collection that has somehow gone from three basses up to six...oops

A7111BF9-8271-46B3-AA1D-C40392521794.jpeg

DB580336-F5B5-4F4F-AB55-E49F31A015CE.jpeg

B6E211B7-C033-4FA2-962B-C7D2C229DE17.jpeg

6EEEB11D-9248-49A4-88F8-76D92ABCEEA9.jpeg

CD2C27B0-805A-41DD-BBF0-26D0CAB53863.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 21

These Bongo basses really are superb instruments, I cannot say enough good things about them. I've got a 4HH and I would never part with it.

What I like so much about the sound of these basses is that they have a unique personality that is unapologetically modern and identifiably Bongo Bass . One of the few newer basses on the market that is not trying to refer to the past or present itself as a retro pastiche. It's a sound that really cuts through the mix, that's for sure.

As others have said, great playability too. These are just about my favourite modern hifi tone active basses, and I am including boutique instruments that cost far more than a Bongo, even at EBMM's eye- watering new prices.  I just wish I had bought a 4H while they still made them. 😟

Anyhow, I hope you get a lot of pleasure from playing this beast. Just don't be surprised if you have to dial back your usual amp settings!🙂

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve owned two Bongo’s.

I missed my first graphite one so much that no sooner than I saw a Rolls Burgundy one for sale in Mansons I literally jumped in the car drove to Exeter and bought it!

Seriously great sound great playability and my Swiss Army Bass! 

😊

• Like 1

Nice, I nearly went for this one myself, it was the NE one on Facebook.   Ended up spending a lot more on a Stingray Special 🙃

Edit*  Just realised a) You're in Bristol and the guy wasn't prepared to leave the NE, and b) that was a H model!

Really lovely :) 

Edited by Kev
  • Haha 1

Well, after a full setup and restring I've finally plugged it in. The 4 band eq is very responsive and it's something I need to get used to stop tinkering with when I gig it. 

It's in truly amazing condition and plays beautifully. The electrics are something else and I should imagine it could easily get very rowdy and quite aggressive quickly. It reminds me a bit of a drunk aunt at a wedding!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Well, after a full setup and restring I've finally plugged it in. The 4 band eq is very responsive and it's something I need to get used to stop tinkering with when I gig it. 

It's in truly amazing condition and plays beautifully. The electrics are something else and I should imagine it could easily get very rowdy and quite aggressive quickly. It reminds me a bit of a drunk aunt at a wedding!

The electronics in them are very hot. Small adjustments can make big changes. Very versatile basses though. Enjoy! 

22 minutes ago, evan47 said:

I have the chance of a Bongo 4 HH in satin black.

The seller is asking £1650, is this a fair price for one in good condition or should I try to haggle it down a little?

I’m not entirely sure about their used value right now. If it’s a Stealth model, they are quite hard to get hold of, so I imagine would be worth a bit more than a more standard colour. That’s only a guess though tbh 

On 03/11/2021 at 19:29, ern500evo said:

I’m not entirely sure about their used value right now. If it’s a Stealth model, they are quite hard to get hold of, so I imagine would be worth a bit more than a more standard colour. That’s only a guess though tbh 

On 03/11/2021 at 19:06, evan47 said:

I have the chance of a Bongo 4 HH in satin black.

The seller is asking £1650, is this a fair price for one in good condition or should I try to haggle it down a little?

Sorry, I missed this. I paid a tiny bit over £1,300 for mine but that was because it was a 2003 model (the date they were launched), was in a colour I really wanted and was in superb condition. 

I'm totally at a loss re used prices for all basses at the moment. They seem to be all over the place and there are a a number of  times I've physically laughed to see what people are charging. That said, a lot of them seem to sell!

Sorry, I missed this post. I paid a tiny bit over £1,300 for mine but that was because it was a 2003 model (the date they were launched), was in a colour I really wanted and is in superb condition. I'd say over £1,600 is really toppy personally. 

I'm totally at a loss re used prices for basses at the moment. They seem to be all over the place and there are a number of  times I've physically laughed to see what people are charging for something that is/was pretty much bread and butter in terms of spec/manufacturer. Brexit/cost of wood/transport etc. all seem to be legitimate excuses for people to try it on IMHO. That said, a lot of them seem to sell!

Edited by Old Horse Murphy