Why become a member? ×

ACS earplugs

uk_lefty

Has anyone had custom ACS plugs made and can you confirm how far into the ear canal they go?

I've had the cheap versions for a few years and really felt the benefit so decided to get a custom set made. I had the impressions done today and couldn't believe how far into my ear they went, if the earplugs go in like that they'll join together inside my head!

1 hour ago, Acebassmusic said:

The "sponge on a string" they use to make the mold goes in further than the actual plugs themselves. As @chris_bsays they're probably the main reason many of us can still gig and hear OK. Best value money I've ever spent on musical equipment!

+1 for this, not just for your own rehearsals and gigs. They make a big difference to attending gigs too. No ringing in the ears afterwards.

• Like 2

Yep I've paid up for the custom pros having seen the singer from my last band lose his quality of hearing. O don't understand people who use nothing to protect their ears. After one session with the cheaper ACS plugs I was used to them. I even wore them while travelling on the Victoria Line because of the horrific noise it makes.

Glad to hear they're not as intrusive as the procedure to make them, that was not comfortable at all.

• Like 1

I got a set at the start of this year as my current band is extremely loud. They take everything down to a sort of “fairly loud Sat morning CD” type volume, and I can clearly hear every instrument. I can even determine the pitch of my vocals without using a mic.

I was a bit worried at the moulding/fitting session as it was uncomfortable and slightly painful but no issues with using the actual plugs themselves.

• Like 2

I've used them for thirty years now.  Have a choice of filters so I can adjust the attenuation according to the gig.

Like others have said, I wouldn't be gigging today (or going to gigs still) if I hadn't started using them when I did.

Funnily enough my daughter, who's 20 and studying music and sound recording at uni, has been to be fitted for her first pair today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pat2019 said:

. . . . They make a big difference to attending gigs too. No ringing in the ears afterwards.

I've worn my ACS plugs to gigs, at Santa Pod (with ear defenders over them!) and In Atlanta and New Orleans watching the NFL games. They have saved me many times.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Rich said:

Joking aside, I'm guessing KY would do the trick? The thing I liked about the original lube was that the excess was easy to rub into the skin to get it off my fingers - it's not as greasy feeling as Vaseline.

Buy some more?

https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/accessories

I’m fairly new to these, i have found it’s essential to create a seal to get them to attenuate evenly - any slight gaps and it’s overly bassy 

• Thanks 1

I’ve had ACS products for 13-14 years too. Started with ear plugs which were great and could change the filters if you needed. I lost them after about 5 years and have had a set of IEMs from them since. 

Any issues have been repaired quickly and at no cost. 

• 1 month later...

I've just been fitted for some and this is what I learnt:

1. Go to get fitted and potentially learn that you need wax removed first

2. For wax to be removed you need to use something softening for about a week (I used Earol)

3. Specsavers only do a sort of vacum clean of the ears which I found to be quite uncomfortable 

4. ACS fitting place said the Specsavers method hadn't cleared wax closer to the ear drum so I should have used their (more expensive) service that uses various clearing methods. The did say it was good enough to go ahead and get the moulds though.

5. Get moulds fitted which was quite an uncomfortable experience due to how deep they go, possibly not helped by some wax still beeing deep in one ear (which was the one that was most sore) . It made me feel quite nauseous - possibly as they fully blocked both ears at the same time rather than one at a time, and cough uncontrolably!

6. .......hopefully some ACS earplugs arrive and are worth the cost/faff/discomfort!

I had the same problem. I didn't see it as a faff, just necessary maintenance. If the wax is getting in the way then the moulds might not fit as well as they should. 

Olive oil is a good wax softener. It's cheaper and just as effective as proprietary medications.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I had the same problem. I didn't see it as a faff, just necessary maintenance. If the wax is getting in the way then the moulds might not fit as well as they should. 

Olive oil is a good wax softener. It's cheaper and just as effective as proprietary medications.

Prior to my fitting, I bought some ear wax softener from the chemist. Ingredients 100% olive oil! 😠

• Like 1

Prior to my fitting, I used some of this stuff for a couple of weeks and then made an appointment with my GP practice nurse to get my ears 'syringed' (it was actually more like a warm pulsing jet-wash). It worked a treat. I think the Otex would possibly have done the trick on its own, in time.

image.png.7747da2067e459ce0991a090ad4d866f.png

• Like 1