Why become a member? ×

NBD (it's a blue Bravewood)

LukeFRC

@owen will often pop up in threads to say "there is no one [bass] just the chase" - and I think there's some truth in that... but playing lots of things does help you work out what you like... and I like P basses.... my first proper bass a japanese '57ri... then a Squier series JV  '57ri ... then a gap and a Yamaha BB1200 (sounds nothing like a precision) and then bought Gareth's green G&L L1000, a kind of super precision that taught me how much I loved bolt on basses. 

Fast forward a few years and my main bass is a sadowsky jazz that oddly has a lot of mid punch and not much Jazz bass scoop... and the L1000 and my old Warwick isn't being played so last spring I sold them both and set out looking for a precision....
Firstly, it's taken a while and I want to say thank you to everyone who's ear and expertise I borrowed... @warwickhunt, @Hooch, @boroman, @AndyTravis, @marleaux62, @walshy, @gareth, @owen and whoever else I've pestered with opinions of a billion different basses... 

There's a man in the UK who when I started playing was making basses that looked like old ones, I wanted one of his creations for at least 15 years... except he doesn't do custom orders at all now and builds what he wants... I had an idea, he liked it and started building it. A year later I got asked if I would like to buy what he had built.... 

It looks pretty cool I think!

08915134-1897-4BC0-93E1-4D39FEDEB27E.jpeg

E8822626-D241-4273-AC46-05D1BC9AF069.jpeg

Edited by LukeFRC
Adding photos
  • Like 27

• LukeFRC changed the title to NBD (it's a blue Bravewood)
1 hour ago, ped said:

Looks great, really nice dark blue, quite unusual. Enjoy :)

1 hour ago, such said:

Beautiful. Discoloured towards green a tiny bit more and that's one of the most perfect Ps. Or, just like it is now really. 

I think he had been looking at some of the old ones where it's darkened with age as well yellowed. yeah I was hoping for a wee bit more green. I'm guessing it will do that itself over time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ped said:

Looks great, really nice dark blue, quite unusual. Enjoy :)

This! What actual colour is it? It looks fabulous, especially with the minty guard. 

It’s typical (although possibly a good thing for my wallet) that he doesn’t do custom builds anymore as he’s the first person I’d choose if I wanted a P Bass - preferably like yours! 

Edited by 4000

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

This! What actual colour is it? It looks fabulous, especially with the minty guard. 

It’s typical (although possibly a good thing for my wallet) that he doesn’t do custom builds anymore as he’s the first person I’d choose if I wanted a P Bass - preferably like yours! 

1 hour ago, gareth said:

Well done Luke

it looks great

Lake Placid Blue?

it’s lake placid blue that came out a bit darker I think. 🤣 it’s not got any/much yellowed top coat making it green.

That said there seem to be some more faded LPB, and some of the fender custom shop early 60s ri are similar to this… I don’t know 🤷 what blue is the blue fender would have been using in 1960 - I like this though! 

• Like 1

Really hard to photograph, it’s not as royal blue as the photos make it look, it’s like a rich lake placid blue  - have fiddled with the colour values on my phone so it’s kinda like what I see… obv your screen will be different too! 

should I pick up the Pantone swatches from work 😜

6A50407C-6681-4003-A612-A5E6D15CABD8.jpeg

• Like 1