BassApprentice

48 minutes ago, Chownybass said:

It was easy. 

Factors are : 

* Shipping has gone up 250-450% and lead times are SLOOOOOOOW

* Prices in India have gone up

* It insulates us more from currency fluctuations

* It allows us to control stock better

* We are also making careful changes to the range to be more efficient in production without a cost in quality. The cost is effort. 

Expect some improvements to the SWB. Announcements to follow but sneak peak. It'll be : 

* Lighter (chambering in the body) 

* Design tweaks

* New Deluxe Edition 

Thanks EVERYBODY for your positivity. We're excited and nervous in equal measure! 

The very best of luck to you all sir!

Well done Chowny! What an inspiring move, all this shipping stuff round the world multiple times over has gotten ridiculous. We’ve only got one planet, etc. Really hope you do well out of this and can set an example to other companies and industries.

I’ve been thinking about getting a SWB for years, now its a definite and happy to pay the relatively small premium.

On 26/10/2021 at 09:27, Old Horse Murphy said:

Great to see a brand extending its roots in the UK rather than following the sun for cheaper production costs. Bristol-based too; what's not to like?!

Once it's all up and running I'd definitely be interested in placing an order for one of the semis

Here's wishing you all the very best in this next chapter 👍

No manufacturer brings their manufacturing to the UK for patriotic reasons. I have to presume that transportation costs from the far East are now exorbitant and that automation means that the difference in labour costs are no longer a factor in whether the company makes a profit or not.

Which is bad news for China.

22 minutes ago, gjones said:

No manufacturer brings their manufacturing to the UK for patriotic reasons. I have to presume that transportation costs from the far East are now exorbitant and that automation means that the difference in labour costs are no longer a factor in whether the company makes a profit or not.

Which is bad news for China.

That's a rather blanket statement and from my own experience not entirely true either (well, certainly not the only reason).

Anyhow, I'm pleased for them and hope it works out. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 3

This is great news! Although I’m a long time lurker, my CHB-1 is the one bass I’ve never moved on since I bought it back in 2017(ish) - I slapped on some Chromes not long after I got it and really enjoy both the flexibility and the shorter scale. It’s not to everyone’s tastes granted but it’s done many a gig and never fails to deliver the goods, whatever the music. 

Bit of an old video from one of the bands I play in, but here she is - https://www.instagram.com/p/BqNj5RInjAA/

Still tempted by an SWB and more so now… I really hope this goes well for you!

8 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Since we have your attention. @Chownybassfancy doing a 32" SWB, or a 5 string version? 😬

Maybe. Gotta walk before we can run!  

There’s a Retrovibe 51P coming in 32” scale. And I think our Retrovibe EVO will be medium scale too after a redesign.

But will keep it in mind for our 5 string brethren. 

• Like 1

Currently we are struggling with a massive global shortage of shipping capacity. Every day it confirms more and more our decision to move the production here to our own country.

On that front - SWB samples already being made in the UK. Will put photos up on our facebook page. If there is interest I can post them here too. We're introducing a new bass to the SWB line. The SWB Deluxe.

CHB-1 / 2 samples will be coming pretty soon too.

Although not fixed or sure yet. Prices look something like the follow : 

Looking at the costs SWB-1 will go from £530 to £660 .
SWB Pro will go from £850 to £895 
SWB Deluxe be approximately £1195 

New CHB costs coming soon.

• Like 8

On 27/10/2021 at 19:43, yorks5stringer said:

This information was premiered at the South West Bass Bash a couple of months ago, but I forgot about it... even more reasons to come to the next one, I'm sure there will be another WORLD EXCLUSIVE!

We’ll remind you about it a few weeks after 😛

43 minutes ago, whave said:

Oh god, I've been eyeballing the SWB-1 for a while now and that's quite a bit of a jump in price :(  But still happy to support moving production to the UK, good for you!

There are some improvements in the standard model that make up that price too. Chambering in the body to get the weight down some more. Improvement in quality of parts. A second battery compartment. Improved bridge positioning. Veneer on the headstock. etc.

2 hours ago, Chownybass said:

There are some improvements in the standard model that make up that price too. Chambering in the body to get the weight down some more. Improvement in quality of parts. A second battery compartment. Improved bridge positioning. Veneer on the headstock. etc.

Well, that sounds cool, glad to hear!

Are you planning to move the top strap button by any chance? It looks a bit weird behind/under the horn where it currently is, and a lot of review videos mentioned this too that it does not feel particularly comfortable this way, having to get the strap behind the horn.

8 hours ago, Chownybass said:

Currently we are struggling with a massive global shortage of shipping capacity. Every day it confirms more and more our decision to move the production here to our own country.

On that front - SWB samples already being made in the UK. Will put photos up on our facebook page. If there is interest I can post them here too. We're introducing a new bass to the SWB line. The SWB Deluxe.

Ouch, £530 to £660 is some jump! Understand some of it is to get improvements in but mentally I’m going from rounding down to £500 to rounding up to £700 and it feels pretty significant. I’m sure it’ll still be great value though.

Please do put some pictures up when you’ve got them!

And as someone said earlier, 32” 5 string SWB would be epic.

9 hours ago, Chownybass said:

Definitely post photos here, a good number of folks on BC do not use FB and I’m certainly trying to wean myself off of it. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mudsprout said:

Ouch, £530 to £660 is some jump! Understand some of it is to get improvements in but mentally I’m going from rounding down to £500 to rounding up to £700 and it feels pretty significant. I’m sure it’ll still be great value though.

Please do put some pictures up when you’ve got them!

And as someone said earlier, 32” 5 string SWB would be epic.

Not a dig in any way, but to put this in perspective it’s a UK made bass that is cheaper than most smartphones. I do wonder about the economic motivations behind what people purchase sometimes. For example, I recently bought a new winter coat. It was £350! The last one I bought from the same brand 21 years ago was £250. I very nearly didn’t bother as it i thought it was very expensive. But on the other hand I’ve spent £3K on a bass which is just a hobby, and man maths has calculated it to be very good value for money and an essential purchase 🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Jeez, Fender upcharge more than 2x from their Mexican to USA models. Chowny not only brings production to the UK but also improves the spec and people complain about 25% uplift 🤦 it's still cheaper than a Mexican Fender.

TBF We'd have had to put up the price of the Indian Manufactured ones too anyway. Maybe 10-12%. Timber has increased massively in price, parts have increased too, as has shipping. 

• Like 4