Why become a member? ×

Chowny/Retrovibe to become fully UK brands

BassApprentice

12 hours ago, Cato said:

My main reaction is surprise that moving to full UK production results in such a relatively small price increase.

The cost of shipping has been insane of late (not to mention the time - I recall a shipment of chowny basses being somewhere in the queue in the Suez when it got blocked up)

Great to see a brand extending its roots in the UK rather than following the sun for cheaper production costs. Bristol-based too; what's not to like?!

Once it's all up and running I'd definitely be interested in placing an order for one of the semis

Here's wishing you all the very best in this next chapter 👍

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 3

Wouldn't affect my opinion in the slightest, I still think the CHB is one of the best 4-string basses I've played regardless of price point. I dare not go to their website as I find it a real struggle not to accidentally buy a sapphire-burst one. :lol: 

• Haha 2

I don't think the country of manufacture has anything to do with the instrument's quality itself, but from the perspective of logistics, carbon (and other stuff) footprint, customer service, local jobs etc, it's a wise and responsible move. The price increase is surprisingly low too. 

• Like 3

Talking about bucking the trend!  I think this is an incredibly forward-thinking and responsible step.  And the inevitable cost increase is - as others have said - surprisingly low.  Now, I certainly don't need anymore basses but in the spirit of supporting a 'local' manufacturer I feel the least I could do is pay their site a visit. :)

• Like 3

I have to say I'm a big fan of the move. I think they have really struggled with fulfilling orders with the world being turned upside down and taking more control of things should help. Would, be cool if they can sort out being stocked in shops too for trying them out, but I guess if they are UK based returning might be more straightforward 

Good to see some manufacturing return to the UK, hopefully Ashdown will do the same and any other UK instrument/electronic/HiFi company will follow. Just think of Mission Cyrus 1 & 2 amps  & Castle Speakers :D 

Edited by andy67
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

Also, I'm not sure if Simon is still setting them up, but if he is then that's worth every penny. Simon is one of the best guitar and bass techs out there, as well as being a thoroughly lovely chap.

He will be crucial in assembling them as well as setting them up! All in our new Bristol workshops.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Cato said:

My main reaction is surprise that moving to full UK production results in such a relatively small price increase.

It was easy. 

Factors are : 

* Shipping has gone up 250-450% and lead times are SLOOOOOOOW

* Prices in India have gone up

* It insulates us more from currency fluctuations

* It allows us to control stock better

* We are also making careful changes to the range to be more efficient in production without a cost in quality. The cost is effort. 

Expect some improvements to the SWB. Announcements to follow but sneak peak. It'll be : 

* Lighter (chambering in the body) 

* Design tweaks

* New Deluxe Edition 

Thanks EVERYBODY for your positivity. We're excited and nervous in equal measure! 

• Like 37
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Chownybass said:

It was easy. 

Factors are : 

* Shipping has gone up 250-450% and lead times are SLOOOOOOOW

* Prices in India have gone up

* It insulates us more from currency fluctuations

* It allows us to control stock better

* We are also making careful changes to the range to be more efficient in production without a cost in quality. The cost is effort. 

Expect some improvements to the SWB. Announcements to follow but sneak peak. It'll be : 

* Lighter (chambering in the body) 

* Design tweaks

* New Deluxe Edition 

Thanks EVERYBODY for your positivity. We're excited and nervous in equal measure! 

Very exciting times ahead and hopefully you guys are the catalyst and lead for full return of UK manufacturing. :D

• Like 1