Why become a member? ×

Headrush FRFR 112 - driver upgrade?

Freddi375

Just wondered if anyone has any experience swapping out/upgrading the driver in an active monitor, ideally the headrush 112 or something similar.

Is the driver itself different to a standard? These are fairly cheap so thinking of making it sound as good as possible and lightening the weight a bit.

Cheers in advance!

Freddie 

I'd say the chances of complete success are fairly low. The speaker has to match the cab to get the best out of it. The cab is, or should be, matched to the speaker in volume and tuning. Then the speaker also has to be matched to the horn unit and the amplifier and the crossover. The chance of this all slotting into place by luck is fairly low to zero. 

The other issue is cost, as original the Headrush has value which you'll halve if you try and sell it messed with, even if you think you've improved it. A good quality lightweight 12 could cost you £130+. Sell the headrush and add those together and you could probably buy something better than you have.

I'm all in favour of people experimenting as you'll learn lots but it's probably not the project to tackle.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

The whole point of the Headrush and the likes are that they're full range flat response. Which theoretically should mean that they produce a totally uncolored sound. 

I'm not sure how making them sound "better" would even be possible. They're either FRFR, or they're not. 

Manufacturers claiming that something is FRFR is one thing. Reality is another. A £250 cab is not going to be truly FRFR (at least, not at any volume or distance). The laws of physics, Jim, and all that. I agree with Phil. Not worth spending money on it and losing re-sale value. Best to sell it and put the funds towards something better.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this in the hope that the OP tried something? 

I’ve got a Headrush 112 that I’m pretty sure the speaker is perforated, but powers up and gives some great distortion and a behringer DR112 that won’t power on. Rather than go to the garage and get tools out, I thought I’d ask those much more intelligent than myself, if it’s worth while swapping the speaker? 

Thanks in advance. 

Swapped them over and it appears to be working ok. Got the guitarist to use it tonight at rehearsal as I’d rather it didn’t blow up in the house. 

Only thing I’m wondering is, the Behringer driver has, very clearly, 4 ohm stamped on it and when measured was exactly that. The driver that came out of the Headrush has no markings and was reading 2.2 ohm on the same meter that I measured the other driver on.

What is the correct impedance of the 12” headrush driver? I’ve googled and can’t find anything. 🙄

Sorry for hijacking the OP’s thread.