Why become a member? ×

Affordable basses for a guitarist. Harley Benton?

jimbomcmucka

Hey!

I'm a guitarist and have been asked to dep as a bassist for a few gigs. Thought it would be a good time to add a bass to the collection! I'm looking for something versatile, the band I will be playing for play rock and punk - but my usual preferred styles are soul, funk etc. 

I have been looking at the Harley Benton PJ basses - people seem to be saying they are great bang for the buck and the PJ configuration seems like it will give me the versatility I need. There seem to be 2 levels, the Deluxe range (P4) and the Vintage range (PJ-74), with a £50 difference. The differences seem to be the pickups and electronics. Does anybody have any experience playing both of these?

With all of my guitars I have upgraded parts over time, these seem a good platform to do the same. My question is, is it worth paying the additional £50 for the higher spec - or am I better off using the £50 to throw toward some upgrades (most likely some mid priced pickups, tuners).

Also, are there any other differences outside of the electrical components?

Thanks!

Jim

I can't comment on them 2 particular models, as I only have a Harley Benton MB-4 
But I can say they're great build quality, especially at the price point.
Mine had smooth fret ends and only needed a minor set-up to get going, tuners were a bit stiff but they hold the tuning really well.

• Like 1