Why become a member? ×

Gillett Contour S fretless 4 - *WITHDRAWN*
£950
Taunton UK

scrumpymike

I'm putting this exotic and extremely rare beast up for sale as I'm not really a fretless player and got it for a one-off project.  Price is less than half of what it cost and therefore firm.  It's impossible to overstate just how impressive these unique, UK-made electro-acoustic basses are - IMHO nothing else comes close and other owners say the same.  Suffice to say that, at the 2019 Summer NAMM in Nashville, Bass Gear mag declared the Contour 'Best Bass in Show' despite never even having heard of Gillett Guitars before they visited the company's stand!  This one is in excellent condition with only a few faint witness marks showing it's used - nothing you could call a ding, scratch or scuff.  Price includes a reasonably durable gig bag and I'd strongly prefer either for the buyer to collect (we're 10 min's from J25 M5) or meet me for handover somewhere between Bristol and Exeter.  However, if a buyer insists on shipping (UK only) and is willing to arrange/pay for carriage, I will look at getting a hard case at extra cost.

Here's a short-list of key features:  Rosewood body; maple ‘C’-section neck — 41mm (1.6”) at nut, 54mm (2.13”) at 12th fret; sculpted ergonomic recesses for fore-arm and rib-cage/beer gut;  single active neck pick-up; thru-body stringing; adjustable nut; medium scale length = 31.75"; weight = 3.75kg.

IMG_5658.JPG

IMG_5661.JPG

IMG_5664.JPG

IMG_5666.JPG

IMG_5662.JPG

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 14

These basses are sculptural works of art but what you can't see is just as impressive.  Michael G threw the conventional acoustic-design book away and started from scratch.  The patented Contour construction makes these basses stronger and more comfortable to wear and play.  Combined with the thru-body stringing, it also makes them sonically more efficient and the sustain is incredible.  As you would expect, the detailing on these is superb throughout.  For example, the string ball-ends are anchored by a miniature solid-brass billet (the pic below is from the prototype of the deeper-bodied Standard bass), the inset Gillett logo is machined from solid metal, and the truss-rod cover is fastened by tiny machine screws and threaded metal inserts set into the headstock!

body-in-case.jpg

full_cap_open.jpg

pegs_2.jpg

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 4

Mike introduce me to these basses a few years ago…I purchased the 4 string fretted (slim)

The design, quality, ergonomics, playability & wide acoustic sound is amazing. The amount of work and detail makes this an expensive build, so you are getting a bargain and from a great guy who know his stuff

I have been using this in a pop band, acoustic duo & new 4 piece acoustic …all need different sounds from rich piano string to double bass 

I have also a 6 string electric/acoustic in Rocklite

You won’t  regret buying this unique and rare bass…B

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BCH said:

Mike introduce me to these basses a few years ago…I purchased the 4 string fretted (slim)

The design, quality, ergonomics, playability & wide acoustic sound is amazing. The amount of work and detail makes this an expensive build, so you are getting a bargain and from a great guy who know his stuff

I have been using this in a pop band, acoustic duo & new 4 piece acoustic …all need different sounds from rich piano string to double bass 

I have also a 6 string electric/acoustic in Rocklite

You won’t  regret buying this unique and rare bass…B

Bernard's right - as always 😉

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • scrumpymike changed the title to WITHDRAWN!! Gillett Contour S fretless 4