Why become a member? ×

Your fantasy signature bass?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

17 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Looks like a cross between a Shuker Long Horn and a Ritter Jupiter

It’s stunning - I know I wouldn’t get on with the sound (presume piezo only?), and definitely don’t use the fretless I have enough to justify the expense…but damn it’s a looker.

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

It’s stunning - I know I wouldn’t get on with the sound (presume piezo only?), and definitely don’t use the fretless I have enough to justify the expense…but damn it’s a looker.

It is one of John Shuker's creations.  Whether I have the talent to merit earning this as my sig bass is entirely debatable.

• Like 1

Hmm, effectively a Schecter SLS Evil Twin left-handed but with a few significant mods. Most obviously, my signature is headless and multi-scale. Horns maybe more like those of the Riot series. Fret markers are pentacles except for the 12th, which is my initials. The binding is toxic venom green instead of white. Probably have to be a 5 string unless Hipshot make an Xtender that'll fit a headless. Flamed maple top. Comes fitted with Rotosound flatwound strings as standard. Cost: well, probably made in Korea so for the lefty, and maybe it's only made as a lefty, £1300-1500.

I’d be greedy and want two signature basses, and both very different. I’d like a Dingwall Z3X in white, black hardware, maple neck, and I’d like it headless and 4 string. I’d also want a Warwick Streamer Stage 1, in all black, black hardware, black tuners rather than the wooden type, and a hipshot extender. Fitted with passive Nordstrand power blade pickups and a John East Uni preamp. 

15 hours ago, ead said:

Something like this:

image.thumb.png.969a3cb513ba3f54332651b947cbacec.png

image.thumb.png.faffd3ca3a5f0cc0e1b9d8ab1b85b42b.png

A very lovely thing (tho as I mentioned somewhere else, it'd suit me like a fish suits a bicycle), but that photography always makes me clench - I know it's resting on something very soft and forgiving we can't see, but that concrete car park surface gives me the heebie-jeebies... 😕

• Like 1

Back to the OP, while it's highly unlikely Fender or Gibson are going to come a-knocking, surely a signature bass should be something unique rather than rehash of a production instrument that someone used for years (viz. Geddy).  I suppose Lull have already built me a signature model as it's the only oversized NR Thunderbird 5-string they've built to my specs.  For me though, it would just be a cobbled together bass that reminds me of the good stuff I own or have owned.  Couldn't care less about (cough) tonewoods (cough), but said signature model would be matt black so it doesn't really matter to me what it's made of, but as I prefer a darker fingerboard, that would have to be ebony or something stained black.

So let's see.  Visually, a Spector-style 2-a-side headstock.  Ebony board.  Body shape?  I like my oversized Lull JAX-T4 body or the later wide-horn Travis Bean 2000 basses.  Guts?  John East Uni-Pre 3, let's go with Rickenbacker 400* pickups in their sweet spots.  Hardware, chrome.  So long as it stays in tune and intonates, then I'm happy.  Dunlop Straploks.

It's a fair point @NancyJohnson makes.  If it's a unique bass then this ACG would be mine I think.  As close as you can get to a custom bitsa and costing significantly less than an American Std Jazz (or whatever they are called now) this is a cracking bass and gets used a lot at ead towers.

2069631338_StandardJType03.jpg.74381f1efcaba9a5b649b24e60152d78.jpg

588797623_ACGJType.thumb.jpg.a517865f2b64279d9ea4542d113b8d94.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ead said:

It's a fair point @NancyJohnson makes.  If it's a unique bass then this ACG would be mine I think.  As close as you can get to a custom bitsa and costing significantly less than an American Std Jazz (or whatever they are called now) this is a cracking bass and gets used a lot at ead towers.

2069631338_StandardJType03.jpg.74381f1efcaba9a5b649b24e60152d78.jpg

588797623_ACGJType.thumb.jpg.a517865f2b64279d9ea4542d113b8d94.jpg

That's a sexy jazz!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me it would definately be a custom Spector.

The 4 string models would be a Euro made and the usual maple core/neck trough.

With an Ebony board and Abalone crowns (neck profile as per the Doug Wimbish model). The body wing sandwich like the Euro but with swamp Ash,walnut and a AAAAA grade Quilted maple top.

Hardware would be standard but in Black, pickups would be Aguilar Musicman in the bridge (with series/paralell/ rear single coil switch option) with the back coil roughly in a similar position as a 70s jazz, and a mid placed jazz pickup.

Pre amp would be a 2 band East uni pre with passive tone and active/passive switch (The idea being able to get stingray/70s jazz Esq sound)

Colours would be 

Translucent Burgundy Red

Translucent Aqua Blue

Translucent British Racing Green

Translucent White

All with matching Headstock too 😁

They'd be too expensive 😂

I'd also like a 5 string model the same but only available with a cocobolo top and two Aguilar dual coils (like a fodera)

I now need to go and practice my Davie504 licks.

I did wonder if a quilted top would work in Translucent white and I found this, it does and is very cool.

Screenshot_20211026-221625_Chrome.jpg

Edited by lee650
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

been thinking about this for ages! Ahem…black 70’s Fender Jazz, tortoise shell scratch plate, matching headstock, block inlays, white binding, chrome pots, pickup covers, and a thumb rest. I’d be a very happy man

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lee650 said:

For me it would definately be a custom Spector.

The 4 string models would be a Euro made and the usual maple core/neck trough, with an Ebony board and Abalone crowns (neck profile as per the Doug Wimbish model). The body wing sandwich like the Euro but with swamp Ash,walnut and a AAAAA grade Quilted maple top.

Hardware would be standard but in Black, pickups would be Aguilar Musicman in the bridge (with series/paralell/ rear single coil switch option) with the back coil roughly in a similar position as a 70s jazz, and a mid placed jazz pickup.

Pre amp would be a 2 band East uni pre with passive tone and active/passive switch (The idea being able to get stingray/70s jazz Esq sound)

Colours would be 

Translucent Burgundy Red

Translucent Aqua Blue

Translucent British Racing Green

Translucent White

All with matching Headstock too 😁

They'd be too expensive 😂

I'd also like a 5 string model the same but only available with a cocobolo top and two Aguilar dual coils (like a fodera)

I now need to go and practice my Davie504 licks.

I did wonder if a quilted top would work in Translucent white and I found this, it does and is very cool.

Screenshot_20211026-221625_Chrome.jpg

Can you be a bit more specific?! 😃

• Haha 2

My signature bass would be a turdburst Glarry Jazz, with a neck shim made from an offcut of feather edge fence board. 

Ply body on the Crafted in Turkmenistan model. Basswood on the MIA verson.

Neck made from an old telegraph pole.

Pickups would be a mismatch of Wolkinson, and a cast off Mrk Knopfler Seymour Duncan, honest guv.  

3 pickguard screws would be missing.

Strings would be an eclectic mix of round and flat from different brands in different stages of wear.

Frets would be deliberately uneven, and the truss rod far too tight. Back bow is essential on my signature bass.

One strap button will be missing.

Knobs from an old Electrolux oven.

One mismatched tuning peg.

Gotoh bridge that cost more than the entire bass.

Naked lady sticker obligatory.

Tug bar must be several feet away from the recommended Fender position.

Set up willmbe done by only the most highly trained pre pubescent secondary school craftsmen, done in their bedroom while watching Countryfile, using only premium, top of the range crowbars.

And the price of this Bassfinger Official Signature Bass goodness? A mere £2999 from official Fender stockists.  Avoid cheap copies!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

My signature bass would be a turdburst Glarry Jazz, with a neck shim made from an offcut of feather edge fence board. 

Pickups would be a mismatch of Wolkinson, and a cast off Mrk Knopfler Seymour Duncan, honest guv.  

Strings would be an eclectic mix of round and flat from different brands in different stages of wear.

Frets would be deliberately uneven, and the truss rod far too tight. Back bow is essential on my signature bass.

Set up willmbe done by only the most highly trained pre pubescent secondary school craftsmen, done in their bedroom while watching Countryfile, using only premium, top of the range crowbars.

And the price of this Bassfinger Official Signature Bass goodness? A mere £2999 from official Fender stockists.  Avoid cheap copies!

I have one of these I was considering selling, would it be of interest to you?

• Like 2

On 25/10/2021 at 16:42, Jus Lukin said:

Not sigs, but I have a couple of fantasy basses in my possession. The first is a multi-purpose Fender type, made from a modded Squier VM Precision TB. It currently has rounds on it, but is overdue a set of halves.

20210325_113452.thumb.jpg.4b7fd70a86f82c42e7c255af097ed5a8.jpg

That looks like the only bass anyone would ever need.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

All currently available on EBay!! Rare and sought after 🤣

• Like 1

On 25/10/2021 at 14:35, AndyTravis said:

Based upon Yamaha BB2024Mx

8C04EE3B-6DA2-49B7-ADAF-C43B9CC5DCE0.jpeg.2b7610d5e19458cac24b8130a600c6a0.jpeg

Reverse the P.

inlays white - not black, white Pearl pickguard…

VVT

2 Colours Available 

Orange Metallic (like my 414) 

Shelby Blue Metallic (like the late 90’s AES800b)

I like this!! Mine would be pretty similar:

Based upon Yamaha BB735 (and 734)

-Olympic white with tortoise pickguard for my 734 and Metallic Orange with white pearl pickguard for my 735 (very similar to the 414 on the BB thread). 

-Reverse P pickups

-Humbucker bridge pickup with a switch to make it single.

Here's my Italia Imola.

I'd choose having an Imola over a signature G&L, Fender, Music Man or any other bass because it's not a Big-Name brand.  

It is an excellent jazz bass, though, and I think it deserves more recognition.

I wouldn't mind having either the red or blue one...belive me, no other mods necessary.

Screenshot_20210715-220006_Gallery.jpg

PhotoCollage_20211028_141448698.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1