Why become a member? ×

Your fantasy signature bass?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I think I've got most of it down, but I'm not sure on the pups.....

Jazzmaster body 

32" scale 

40mm at the nut 

Rosewood glossed board with mother of pearl blocks and binding 

Vintage frets 

Vintage tint glossed neck finish 

G&l hi mass bridge (with a chrome cover that comes with the case candy)

When it comes to pups, it'd either be.......

Rickenbacker 4003 hi gain single coils in the Ric position, but with a nicer chrome surround for the mid pup so there's not a massive gap around it.

Or....

Chrome covered Gibson thunderbird plus pups (the ones that are in the Epiphone t bird classic pro) in the t bird positioning.

Pup selector switch, v/v/t/t with a tone bypass switch.

As for colours, I really love the 50s pastel colours with the offset body and, because I'm indecisive, let's run with 3 choices - shell pink, surf green and daphne blue. Tort guard as standard and a spare mint one gets chucked in.

Just for extra gaudiness it comes with a grey faux snakeskin hard case with pink fur lining.

Seeing as it's a bit of a mish mash of different basses, I have no idea who'd make it 🧐 I guess it leans more toward Fender, so let's say it's made in Japan, but I have no idea what the exchange rate is for Yen! Let's say there's a version that comes in at about £8-900 and then a Squier version without the case and extras etc for about £400.

I really want this now that I've thought about it!

• Like 1

Surprisingly I'd hope for Fender to make that call - their custom shop Tye Zamora through neck 6 string bass was pretty cool. Throw some buckeye on that, maybe a cheeky inlay and side LEDs and I'd be happy! Other than that I'm fortunate enough to already own my dream basses. 😁

• Like 1

Alder body, 21 frets on a 7.25" redius Richlite fretboard with very rolled edges, massive deep and wide roasted quartersawn maple neck, 2+2 headstock, Hipshot lollipop Tuners (the heavy ones) in nickel, with a d-tuner too, Hipshot vintage style bridge but with threaded saddles, reversed P pickup in middle position (E&A coil in classic spot, D&G moved towards neck), G&L humbucker at bridge (not too close), passive. Yamaha strap buttons. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

They did - Yamaha SB-35.  I had one, should never EVER have sold it.  32" scale.  Sigh.

Thanks - wasn't aware of that one. It's got the basic shape, but of course I'm thinking of something a lot more upscale.  💰💸

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bnt said:

This might be weird, but here goes anyway ... I've always liked the look of the Yamaha SG-2000 guitar, and have sometimes wondered why they never made an equivalent bass, a SB-2000. So I would spec out a 5-string (SB-2500?) with a body of similar size or slightly larger, and a small headstock with lightweight tuners (since neck dive would be a risk). For electronics, I would want their nicest TRBX pickups, simple passive volume & tone for each , then to split outputs as on the Attitude. For woods and finish, I would look for something lighter than the SG-2000, maybe a quilted maple top or a light green tint.

PS I might want to spec EMG soapbar pickups, such as the 40DCX at the neck and 40TWX at the bridge.

🤷🏻‍♂️

28560A2F-CCD1-44C9-B523-D671042D5B85.jpeg

1754AAEC-3863-45B6-AD9C-8F5FE7694E58.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Thanks 1

A sub-9lb Music Man SR5 Special with a few mods:

1mm wider nut (45.5mm)

single H pickup

lacquered Birdseye maple neck (as per the Classics) with rosewood board

2 band active eq (treble and bass)

passive bypass with tone control instead of mid eq

black hardware

black pickguard

Ash body

transparent royal blue finish

blue side LED's

fretted and fretless versions available 

any commission/royalties to Cancer Research

That would do me, until tomorrow :)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Hmm … let’s see 

maple neck, 20 frets with dots 

body probably alder with some contours at the forearm 

one pickup, probably a split coil of some kind, silver knobs - like the look of knurled - maybe volume and tone just to be different 

Maybe painted in sunburst ? :🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It'd probably be a Mustang:

- Pickup modelled after the one in mine

- 40mm nut

- 7 ½" radius

- neck shaped like a little p bass

- maple neck, rosewood board (maybe ebony...)

- gloss neck

- mother of pearl inlays

- vintage size stainless steel frets

- 500k pots, 0.047uf capacitor

- Hipshot ultralites with a drop tuner

- Ash body with tummy and forearm contours

- black grainfill on white cerused body, white grainfill on black cerused competition stripe

- black three ply pickguard

- thumbrest in 70s position

- mustang bridge

- thru body strung with D'Addario nickels

It'd probably have to be a bit more than the JMJ Mustang because of the finish, but I reckon it'd sell well...

Mine would be based on my main '95 MiJ Fender Jazz. 

Alder body

Rosewood 'board

Badass II  bridge

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups

Series/Parallel switch 

Bone nut

Hipshot X-Tender key

Dunlop Straplocks 

Lightly reliced, Crimson Red Metallic.

I'd slim down the body slightly and add either an F Bass or Sadowsky preamp, and offer an Ash/Maple 5 string option to mirror my F Bass.

a BC rich Wave with twin P pups. 

Neck thru (profile similar to my blue harris sig), and a 2 a side headstock. No inlays except a prisoner style unicyle across frets 11-13

Pups would be the ones that are found in my Fender modern player jag - Those pups are just perfect!

badass/ babicz bridge, vvt controls, and side mounted jack socket.

• Like 1