Why become a member? ×

Phantom power for effects pedals

wayneyboy

I have got a ebs td650 head and it has a phantom power button for pedals i have just discovered. As i am new to this device I just wondered how it works? I assume it powers 9v pedals but wondered if it can just power the one device?
On a different note on the head it says the tube/solid state is switchable on the front of the amp so wondered whether you can switch it via a foot pedal?

Advice much appreciated!

If there's no footswitch jack, you could add one very easily.

I assume there are some pedals with an XLR output which can be powered by phantom power, but to power any normal pedals you would need to make a special adaptor - XLR to Jack AND Power plug.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='455135' date='Apr 6 2009, 08:47 AM']I don't think it will feed any voltage down your input jack lead.[/quote]

actually, i think that's what it does, doesn't it? if you connect EBS pedals via a TRS cable, it will power the pedals remotely. i think. :)

[quote name='escholl' post='455227' date='Apr 6 2009, 10:42 AM']actually, i think that's what it does, doesn't it? if you connect EBS pedals via a TRS cable, it will power the pedals remotely. i think. :)[/quote]

Ahhh, right sorry, I don't know the specifics for this amp. You couldn't put a boss tuner infront of the amp and power it via phantom power though, without some adaptors etc.

Not sure if you have it already but the manual is here Peter... [url="http://www.ebs.bass.se/2007/manuals/td650.pdf"]http://www.ebs.bass.se/2007/manuals/td650.pdf[/url]

Stomp pedal effects in the loop are powered when the button is depressed but it isn't very clear if that is one or all and I assume that it is only EBS pedals.

from what i can gather once the button is pushed in and using the right lead it will power the effects pedal- dont think it has to be ebs- just replaces a 9v battery- just not sure if this can only work for one pedal? will have a trip over to Brighton to ask Bernie i think
thanks guys

[quote name='wayneyboy' post='458157' date='Apr 9 2009, 10:26 AM']from what i can gather once the button is pushed in and using the right lead it will power the effects pedal- dont think it has to be ebs- just replaces a 9v battery- just not sure if this can only work for one pedal? will have a trip over to Brighton to ask Bernie i think
thanks guys[/quote]

Normal effects pedals won't take power from their output jacks. If you make a lead to get it working for one pedal, you can use a daisy chain to power more than one.

[quote name='wayneyboy' post='458157' date='Apr 9 2009, 10:26 AM']from what i can gather once the button is pushed in and using the right lead it will power the effects pedal- dont think it has to be ebs- just replaces a 9v battery- just not sure if this can only work for one pedal? will have a trip over to Brighton to ask Bernie i think
thanks guys[/quote]
Yeah, I've got a TD650. I don't use the phantom power, but as far as I'm aware, it will only power one pedal, not a series of them linked.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Ta :)

Edited by Thunderthumbs

Just to clear things up... if you use phantom power from the EBS head, you need to connect the last pedal in the chain to the head using a stereo cable. Only one pedal can be powered and this is the pedal that is immediately before the head.

EBS pedals have a stereo output jack, one which sends the signal and one which receives the power (using a common ground - the third connection on the stereo jack). Conceptually speaking, the signal comes from the pedal to the amp and the power comes from the amp to the pedal.

Typically, EBS pedals are the only pedals that support this feature, but it's not difficult to replace the socket on a standard effects pedal, wire it to the battery clip, to encorporate this functionality.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='458560' date='Apr 9 2009, 04:40 PM']You could cut the end of a stereo cable off and add on a mono jack and a DC jack. The DC jack could drive a daisy chain. It would depend on the amount of current the amp can supply as to how many pedals you can run off it.[/quote]

20mA.