Why become a member? ×

DImarzio - Split P, Model P or Will power middle?

shoulderpet

Hi

Am considering between these 3 pickups,

If I start by saying what I don't like in a bass tone. 

A lot of times I have heard bands play and even in small gigs there is a tendency for the bass to be a little indistinct and lacking in bite or clarity, that is what I want to avoid and I like a little sting in the upper mid and treble frequencies, in addition to that I am not an amp fiddler and I tend to set everything flat and try to adjust the amp as little as possible so a pickup that has "baked in" bite and clarity to it would be the ideal.  This is for a bass with a bridge pickup so I can add that in to add high end if a pickup delivers in the other areas

The Split P looks like a solid choice and it looks badass too but it I have heard it is a bassy pickup, will it have the clarity and bite that I need?

Model P is the most often recommended choice for an aggressive tone but I have heard the high end is somewhat rolled off, how rolled off is it?

Will power middle, this is not often mentioned but the few times I have heard it mentioned people have said it is like the Model P but a little more aggressive

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, the Split P has caught my interest as I like the idea of a dark slightly scooped p pickup and something that is a bit different to your bog standard P pickup, the Model P sounds interesting as well but I want something that is noticeably different to standard P tone so I think maybe the Split P 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you've moved on - I have a split p and wired in parallel it sounds pretty much exactly what you want - running it parallel tames the bottom end a bit and I'd characterise it as a deep with a solid fundamental wired that way (not the factory way which is series?) and much less boomy. People compare it to a soapbar humbucker or p90 kind of sound wired that way. Different from the P, thicker and stronger (which is not always better!).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From memory, the DP122 and DP123 make up the P/J set sold as  the DiMarzio DP126. I bought a set from @Doodand I love them.

On 01/11/2021 at 16:04, bloke_zero said:

Sorry to hear you've moved on - I have a split p and wired in parallel it sounds pretty much exactly what you want - running it parallel tames the bottom end a bit and I'd characterise it as a deep with a solid fundamental wired that way (not the factory way which is series?) and much less boomy. People compare it to a soapbar humbucker or p90 kind of sound wired that way. Different from the P, thicker and stronger (which is not always better!).

I did this with the Di Marzio when I installed it. Seemed to suck ALL the warmth out to me but YMMV

Edited by Chienmortbb
Correct model numbers.