Why become a member? ร—

Fender Vintera 50's P vs Player Series P

TRBboy

Hey folks, hope you're all good! ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ˜Š

ย 

Haven't been here for aย long while, had a lot of other stuff going on. Anyways.... I currently have a P shaped itch that needs scratching, and I'm after some input from those that have tried both the basses in the title. My favourite ever P I've played was the old Classic 50's Precision, just felt and sounded amazing to me and I couldn't put it down. I have also had a player series Jaguar which I thought was great, but sold on due to not quite gelling with the ergos.ย 

ย 

So, I'm currently eyeing up both the Vintera and player. I'm not going to have chance to go and try them so will be buying blind and probably used. If anyone could share their experiences and differences between the two, that would be great.ย 

ย 

Thanks for your help!ย 

ย 

๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘preview.jpg.2bd6f97dbb0b86f5f5fdbff784cc43a8.jpg2110505559_preview(1).thumb.jpg.085bdc9ca5e4d3c3e78ef77b67433d58.jpg

35 minutes ago, karlfer said:

If you like the 50's Classic, get the Vintera. The ones I've played have been exceptional.

The Player series have just been damn good!

ย 

Thanks man, I may just have to do that! Plus that seafoam green looks incredible ๐Ÿ˜ although the player series are great too and less money ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ difficult decisions.....ย 

ย 

.... I think the Vintera I was eyeing up had sold tonight though... ๐Ÿ˜’

• Like 1

The Vintera bases look very nice but havenโ€™t played one to comment on sound.ย 
ย 

I have one of the tide pool blue Player series though and itโ€™s a fantastic bass. The weight is spot on, the neck profile and satin finish makes it a joy to play and itโ€™s got that classic precision sound.

ย 

Also, from what I can see, the finish, although being poly looks a fair bit thinner than a lot of the thick goopy stuff Iโ€™ve seen before. The bass seems really resonant with a lovely rich sound.ย 
ย 

Itโ€™s also a great platform for modding ย if youโ€™re that way inclined.

ย 

You probably canโ€™t go wrong with either though ๐Ÿ˜

7 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Thanks man, I may just have to do that! Plus that seafoam green looks incredible ๐Ÿ˜ although the player series are great too and less money ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ difficult decisions.....ย 

ย 

.... I think the Vintera I was eyeing up had sold tonight though... ๐Ÿ˜’

I have the Vintera in Seafoam green. Itโ€™s a lovely bass. A fair bit of research was done for pickup selection and IMO it sounds as well as looks the part. Personally I think they are a tad expensive when bought new and you would be better buying a good used one.ย 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

Vintera in that color.

Sorry, but the Player series basses are off the radar.

th.jpeg-75.jpg

So beautiful! ๐Ÿ˜

ย 

Care to expand on your comment? Do you mean that the Player Series is not near the quality of the Vintera, or just you haven't looked at them because you prefer a vintage vibe?ย 

11 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Players are great but I found the neck to be quite slim feeling, so if the feel of the Classic 50s neck was a factor then the Player might not fit quite so well.

Thanks Lozz, that's helpful. The feel was definitely a big part of it! It was in GG in Birmingham years ago I tried the Classic 50's, and literally couldn't stop playing it! If I'd had the money I would've walked out with it there and then.ย 

4 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Thanks Lozz, that's helpful. The feel was definitely a big part of it! It was in GG in Birmingham years ago I tried the Classic 50's, and literally couldn't stop playing it! If I'd had the money I would've walked out with it there and then.ย 

ย 

I think you've answered your own question there, get the vintera! Can't say I've played one, so probably aren't of much use, but if you like the neck and would have bought it then, then go for it!

ย 

I've played a player series P, and really liked it, but as Lozz has said, the neck on the vintera is quite a bit chunkier so I think they're different beasts. Plus seafoam green is pretty sexy!

• Like 2

A difficult choice. Both great basses. I think I'dย  incline towards the Vintera, but could doubtless be easily persuaded into the Player series.

ย 

Both MIM I think, so build quality that ranges from merely adequate to absolutely stunning depending on the individual instrument, so better off going to a store and finding one that hits the target than taking pot luck with an online buy.

ย 

Good luck, you'veย  got good times ahead whichever you get.

• Like 2

On 25/10/2021 at 17:30, Jonesy said:

I've played a player series P, and really liked it, but as Lozz has said, the neck on the vintera is quite a bit chunkier so I think they're different beasts

ย 

The Fender website doesn't give the thicknesses for the Player neck, but it does say...

ย 

Player โ€“ 1โ…" nut, 9ยฝ" radius, Modern C profileย 

ย 

Vintera โ€“ 1ยพ" nut, 7ยผ" radius, Vintage C profile (20.8mm / 23.4mm at 1st / 12th frets)

ย 

Another MIM Modern C neck is given as 20.8mm / 22.1mm

• Like 1

Hi folks! Thanks for all the help. So, after much deliberation, I am picking up a buttercream player P on Saturday morning, can't wait! I think the neck feel and fretboard radius will suit me better if I'm honest.ย 

ย 

Just to make sure I'm doing the right thing, I took my old squier P to rehearsal last night. This was my first bass from about 1994, and is one of the Korean ones with a plywood body - nevertheless it rocked! Thoroughly enjoyed it, and the P sound really worked well in the band mix, so I'm confident the Player will be even better (hopefully much easier to play too ๐Ÿ˜‚)ย 

• Like 5

Well, met up withย @franzbassistthis morning to pick up the Player, and what a lovely bass it is! The quality and feel remind me more of my old US Std Jazz than the old Mex standard series. Nice weight, very resonant, very playable, sounds like a P should, LOVELY neck! Very happy. Great gigbag too!ย 

ย 

I can see what people mean about slightly rough feeling fret edges on these, so I'll round them off a bit at some point - it's not like it's awful though.ย 

ย 

I'm planning on customising it a little this week, will share pics once done.ย 

ย 

Thanks again for your help all, and thanks Gareth for a lovely bass! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘

ย 

IMG_20211030_103911.jpg

IMG_20211030_103941.jpg

IMG_20211030_103946.jpg

IMG_20211030_103842.jpg

• Like 5