Why become a member? ×

AC Guitars vs Shuker

bassmansam

5 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

I've been lucky enough to own both Shuker and ACG basses.

For me they are both incredible builders - but the ACG was the better of the two. No slight upon Mr Shuker I might add ... it just exemplified the quality of ACG.

If it were a choice between the two I'd go ACG.

I would too.
But if I were in the @bassmansam position I would spend the cash secondhand and buy a secondhand ACG and a Secondhand Shuker and then have more concrete ideas to base an opinion on... and then sell them to fund the custom build if that's the thing. 24fret 5 string Jazz though... It depends how traditional it needs to sound? I'm not sure with the brief of instrument, I would have ended up narrowing it down to ACG or Shuker. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

24fret 5 string Jazz though... It depends how traditional it needs to sound? I'm not sure with the brief of instrument, I would have ended up narrowing it down to ACG or Shuker. 

If I wanted a 24 fret 5 string Jazz, I would have got a second hand maruszczyk Elwood L, there are plenty of those around on the sale pages.

- edited as I wrote Maruschyk, and then did a search and realised every post with that spelling was wrong, and also, mine on the PC (if I write it on the mac I just type mzk and it fills it out)!

• Like 1

On 25/10/2021 at 12:34, acidbass said:

AC Guitars look like they could be made in a garage by an amateur woodworker, whereas Shuker to me says quality.  I would go Shuker all day long.

I've seen some bizarre stuff here over the years. However, this is right up there...

The woodwork on ACG basses is breathtaking.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 27/10/2021 at 20:39, binky_bass said:

I don't know what planet you're on @acidbass or if you're mistaking ACG for another builder, but I can without hesitation say that your above comment is factually incorrect. I have owned, and still own, basses made by some of the most revered luthiers on the planet and ACG are right at the VERY top. So much so that I have 3 ACG basses, 1 ACG guitar and another ACG bass currently being built. Alan's work is absolutely exceptional with flawless wood working skills. Shuker made excellent instruments too, I've owned 2 Shukers, but I did end up selling them as for me ACG are a better fit.

@bassmansam, it's really a personal choice, I can say ACGs are most definitely not 'amateur made' instruments, they are outstanding basses and exceptional pieces of skilled woodwork. See the below picture for evidence of this. 

20210216_195438.thumb.jpg.5ecb65fde457ccca69660ccbc08441cc.jpg

Genuine question, what is that on the left?  I would have thought a 10-string would work as five pairs, but they seem to be evenly spaced.  How is it tuned?

21 minutes ago, petecarlton said:

Genuine question, what is that on the left?  I would have thought a 10-string would work as five pairs, but they seem to be evenly spaced.  How is it tuned?

It's a 9 string tuned F#, B, E, A, D, G, C, F, A#. So not a dual octave type bass, just 9 independently tuned strings. Basically it's a 4 string bass with two strings on top and 4 string beneath. Binky is my 10 string bass, se as above but with the added D#.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

FDC484950 makes a good point about exhausting off the peg options first. Especially if bassmansam is “more into aesthetics and playability”. 
A few years ago I had a significant birthday approaching and thought about treating myself to a custom bass. I looked at the usual suspects. In the course of other searches I came across a used Ibanez SR500 with a poplar burl top. I bought it and, in order of what’s important to me:

it sounds good, it’s comfortable to play/balances well, the workmanship is good, it looks great (satisfies “exotic” for me), it’s light. The itch had been scratched and the risk was small.

It cost £400 and I don’t think spending another 2 or 3k would have given me more pleasure. Indeed, for me there’s enjoyment to be had from finding a gem in mass-produced basses. I gig with it every month.

My bass wouldn’t suit the OP but you get the idea. Maybe a bass off the peg with a re-finish would do the trick.

• Like 2