Why become a member? ×

AC Guitars vs Shuker

bassmansam

I haven't actually owned basses by either luthier, but I have played lots of instruments by both, and unfortunately I have yet to play a Shuker that I liked in any way other than the looks.

Having said that I wouldn't buy a J-style bass from ACG either, because IMO that's not where their USP lies (for me it's the filter pre-amp and the individual coil pickups).

To the OP what exactly do you want? A "custom J type bass" cover a lot of variations from something that is essentially a Fender in all but the name on the headstock all the way to an instrument that only shares an approximate body and headstock design with a Fender Jazz.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I haven't actually owned basses by either luthier, but I have played lots of instruments by both, and unfortunately I have yet to play a Shuker that I liked in any way other than the looks.

Having said that I wouldn't buy a J-style bass from ACG either, because IMO that's not where their USP lies (for me it's the filter pre-amp and the individual coil pickups).

To the OP what exactly do you want? A "custom J type bass" cover a lot of variations from something that is essentially a Fender in all but the name on the headstock all the way to an instrument that only shares an approximate body and headstock design with a Fender Jazz.

So my wishlist would be... 

5 String Active 

Figured Top Wood

Figured Maple / Ebony fretboard

35 scale

24 frets

17.5mm spacing 

JJ/PJ Pups

Modern fiery sound & asthetics 

1 minute ago, bassmansam said:

5 String Active 

Figured Top Wood

35 scale

24 frets

17.5mm spacing 

JJ/PJ Pups

For that spec I'd be looking at either a GB Spitfire or a Sei.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Yeah, spec and personal taste are everything - I've got to the point now where I can look at a bass, note the pickups and position, and say 'It looks absolutely lovely, but it'd suit me like a fish suits a bicycle'...

This. 

Re Overwater, Chris and co are absolutely lovely, but I’m also in the “too polite” camp with the many Overwaters I’ve played. But that’s fair enough as Chris isn’t a fan of my favourite basses, so is aiming for something different than my taste. 

I’ve played quite a few ACGs and Shukers, and have always preferred the ACGs. The few issues I’ve typically come across with the ACGs (weight, flat board) I’m sure Alan could rectify. And Alan is an absolutely top bloke, one of the best. I’ve never spoken to John, although I do hope to go on one of his build courses at some point. It’s horses for courses really; as others have said, John will to my knowledge build pretty much anything, whereas Alan has his fixed (if flexible) range. Who I would pick out of the two would depend entirely on what I was after. 

There’s also Sei Bass of course, who are as good as anyone anywhere. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, bassmansam said:

5 String Active 

Figured Top Wood

35 scale

24 frets

17.5mm spacing 

JJ/PJ Pups

Lots of options covering all of those things here:  https://shukerguitars.co.uk/basses/shuker-j-bass/ 

Again, I'm sure Alan can do all that, but I'm guessing it'll be around one of his Retro-B designs, which may or may not be 'J enough' for you...

As far as workmanship and the subsequent quality of bass is concerned, tho, as I said in my first sentence on this thread, you can't go wrong with either...

Edited by Muzz

2 hours ago, bassmansam said:

5 String Active 

Figured Top Wood

35 scale

24 frets

17.5mm spacing 

JJ/PJ Pups

Comes pretty close to a Spector Euro 5LX. Fabulous basses!

Apologies, that is a very off topic observation, but I couldn't help but notice the similarities! 

Edited by Al Krow

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Comes pretty close to a Spector Euro 5LX. Fabulous basses!

Apologies, that is a very off topic observation, but I couldn't help but notice the similarities! 

Lol I think you're right. Haven't played a Spector for a long time. Might be worth a re visit. Not sure on the EMGs though 

8 minutes ago, bassmansam said:

Lol I think you're right. Haven't played a Spector for a long time. Might be worth a re visit. Not sure on the EMGs though 

The higher-end EMGs on the Euro series are very good IMO and would still be my first choice on that bass. 

But you're not limited to EMGs these days, if you fancy something else, with Spector offering some quality alternatives. 

• Like 1

I guess you could always send Alan and Jon a pic and ask them to come up with something similar:

(Cue gratuitous pic ) 😁

491914771_RigPBmini-21_02.thumb.jpg.e32987ab9159e37902d2dfd0432ed1d9.jpg

But more seriously - I've been massively tempted by the quality and reputation of both Alan and Jon's basses and some of their designs are jaw-droppingly good. I suspect, whether you get a Spector, Sei, GB Bass, Shuker or ACG, you're in for an absolute treat! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Can you get a custom Sei (or GB) to that spec for £2000-2500?  I could be wrong, but I thought they'd be more...

No idea; probably £2.5k plus I suppose. Last time I ordered one it was £1650, IIRC. 😉

A10753E4-AEDD-4BAC-97E5-DEF5C90C9D41.jpeg

Edited by 4000

As a job, I've had the pleasure of most basses on the market at some point. Shuker's attention to detail is insane for the money. I've flipped a lot of basses over the years, but the Shuker's are still very much here and my go to basses. So much so, I can't wait to spec my next.

Edited by Dood
typo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Dood said:

As a job, I've had the pleasure of most basses on the market at some point. Shuker's attention to detail is insane for the money. I've flipped a lot of basses over the years, but the Shuker's are still very much here and my go to basses. So much so, I can't wait to spec my next.

After speaking to both it seems that Shuker will suit my spec better. Particularly J Type. What model have opted for? 

4 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

For those that want a British bass with fiery tone, the Anaconda basses are starting to get to me. The clips I’ve heard of the essence range sound incredible. 

Was looking at Essence range but unfortunately they're set to 21 frets/34 scale 🙁

9 hours ago, Bigwan said:

And maybe when you grow up to be a big boy Danny, you will!

Let's leave the personal insults for the 'luthiers' over here in Norn Iron eh? 😂 Just giving my opinion on both brands.

Obviously there are beautiful examples of both, but I have never seen a Shuker which is less than stunning and which looks like it hasn't been made in a garage, which I cannot say about ACG.

Edited by acidbass

11 hours ago, bassmansam said:

After speaking to both it seems that Shuker will suit my spec better. Particularly J Type. What model have opted for? 

Glad to hear you came to a conclusion on this, most comments I hope were constructive ;) 

It does sound like a more traditional build is what you're looking for and Mr Shuker will certainly make you a wonderful instrument.

Please be sure to share progress if you can.

Cheers,

Eude

• Like 2

To the OP, have you played any basses by the luthiers your are considering?

While you can't really tell what YOUR bass is going to be like until it is finished and in your hands, playing other basses from the same luthier will give you feel for their strengths and weakness compare with what you yourself want. I loved the looks of nearly all the Shuker basses I have seen, and was in conversation with Jon to make me something until I actually had the opportunity to play some of his other instruments. Unfortunately I couldn't get on with any of the ones I tried as regards playing and feel, but I did save myself from making a very expensive mistake.

13 hours ago, bassmansam said:

I'm very pleased to hear it! - I've been talking to Jon for a long while about a sister for my custom headless six string. We've been working on ideas for an updated version of my everyday workhorse for a while now! It's essentially a Series II Elite, but completely custom. The new version will have a different body shape. 

That said, one day I will have Jon build me a P bass to go with my vintage Fender. That one will have to wait! 

If you need any help with Shuker options, I'd be happy to help too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

While you can't really tell what YOUR bass is going to be like until it is finished and in your hands, playing other basses from the same luthier will give you feel for their strengths and weakness compare with what you yourself want. I loved the looks of nearly all the Shuker basses I have seen, and was in conversation with Jon to make me something until I actually had the opportunity to play some of his other instruments. Unfortunately I couldn't get on with any of the ones I tried as regards playing and feel, but I did save myself from making a very expensive mistake.

It's worth noting that luthiers like Sei, Overwater, Shuker etc will build an instrument with absolutely any neck profile your heart desires. Folk may hate the profile of my Shuker's but it's not indicative of the feel of his other basses. To put it another way, when it comes to a luthier who can customise to that granularity, it's probably worth having an idea what profile you might like to have rather than going to another luthier who may only do standard carves.  

That said, there's obviously an advantage in taking that "unknown territory" out of the equation by going to another luthier who tells you what you're going to have. 

The P bass I would like made will have the same profile as my '76 I own. There's another BCer who has done the same, having had his 78 (I think) P bass used as a template for his Shuker. Certainly my inspiration for following suit!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

To be on honest no - I haven't played a Shuker before. That said I'd never played an Overwater either and was extremely happy with my J5 when it arrived. 

What was it about Shuker's that didn't appeal to you?