Why become a member? ×

Wrist/Thumb pain

Biscuit_Bass

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I'm taking my first bass lesson on the 5th Nov and I just wanted to get some advice regarding some wrist/thumb pain I suffer from on and off.

I'm hoping it won't affect my learning too much but are there any other members here that suffer from wrist/hand problems and are there any exercises you do or ways of reducing the pain?

Cheers

It's just practice mate. Did you have this pain before starting playing bass or is this a result of playing? If it's playing your wrist will adjust especially if you try different strap lengths. Good luck anyway bud.

You need to set your bass and elbow position so that both wrists are reasonably straight. Thumb should match the middle finger as if holding a book from the edge. If you already have those basics down, as Ubit says, it should just be practice. 

Perhaps worth a look at this (apologies if you know all this but worth looking)

Edited by Bobthedog
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ubit said:

It's just practice mate. Did you have this pain before starting playing bass or is this a result of playing? If it's playing your wrist will adjust especially if you try different strap lengths. Good luck anyway bud.

I haven't actually started yet. I have my first lesson on the 5th. It's something I've had for years on and off though. Usually triggered by holding onto something for a long time or when some impact goes through it for example when doing garden work with a shovel etc, or when some twisting motion is put on my wrist un-doing a tight jar or car wheel nut etc.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

You need to set your bass and elbow position so that both wrists are reasonably straight. Thumb should match the middle finger as if holding a book from the edge. If you already have those basics down, as Ubit says, it should just be practice. 

Perhaps worth a look at this (apologies if you know all this but worth looking)

Thank you. This is all new to me at the moment so looking for all advice I can get. As I haven't started learning yet it's just about trying to minimise any pain I already have and that playing the bass might trigger or worsen. I guess these are all things I can discuss with my teacher as well.

I suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome, which is a pinched nerve in my wrist. It means I get severe pins and needles type symptoms, which would make it impossible to play bass without taking the following measures.

I now ensure my wrist is straight when I play standing up (basically I lengthened my strap) and play with a velcro weight lifters brace on my wrist, to stop it from bending.

After taking these precautions I no longer have any problems when I play.

I recommend you do the same, after all prevention is better than cure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biscuit_Bass said:

I'm hoping it won't affect my learning too much but are there any other members here that suffer from wrist/hand problems and are there any exercises you do or ways of reducing the pain?

Every part of my fingers and wrists is capable of getting annoyed with me, and they're most likely to get riled if I get stuck in one tensed up position.

So I make sure my bass is hanging where both hands can wiggle around a little. They then tend to look after themselves - if they fancy a slightly different angle to avoid getting weary, they'll do it of their own accord.

The worst spot was the left thumb getting bent back all the time overgripping the neck. It's very tempting to really press hard on the back of the neck when learning new stuff, rather than lightly resting.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gjones said:

I suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome, which is a pinched nerve in my wrist. It means I get severe pins and needles type symptoms, which would make it impossible to play bass without taking the following measures.

I now ensure my wrist is straight when I play standing up (basically I lengthened my strap) and play with a velcro weight lifters brace on my wrist, to stop it from bending.

After taking these precautions I no longer have any problems when I play.

I recommend you do the same, after all prevention is better than cure.

Great advice, thank you. I'll make sure I keep my wrists straight as I can, and will look into wrist supports that won't be too cumbersome.

6 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Every part of my fingers and wrists is capable of getting annoyed with me, and they're most likely to get riled if I get stuck in one tensed up position.

So I make sure my bass is hanging where both hands can wiggle around a little. They then tend to look after themselves - if they fancy a slightly different angle to avoid getting weary, they'll do it of their own accord.

The worst spot was the left thumb getting bent back all the time overgripping the neck. It's very tempting to really press hard on the back of the neck when learning new stuff, rather than lightly resting.

Good to see another member from York! Thanks for the info - I know what you mean about pressing down and gripping too hard. To be honest that's probably exactly what makes my wrists flare up in the first place, whatever I'm doing. This time it was working in the garden.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Biscuit_Bass said:

Great advice, thank you. I'll make sure I keep my wrists straight as I can, and will look into wrist supports that won't be too cumbersome.

i wear it on my right wrist that I pluck the strings with (my left wrist had an operation on it to cure the carpal tunnel and is ok now).

It's pretty light and doesn't get in the way.

image.png.84820a8158007ab163b9d6c43b480c6c.png

On 24/10/2021 at 12:03, Biscuit_Bass said:

As I haven't started learning yet it's just about trying to minimise any pain I already have and that playing the bass might trigger or worsen. 

Below are some clips on safe bass technique. In addition, I would recommend that before you start to play, spend a few minutes doing some gentle hand stretches. Search Youtube for..."hand stretches for bass/guitar...".

Play for short periods of time to start with (half an hour or so). Take regular breaks. Little and often (with breaks in between) is the way to go.

• Like 1