Why become a member? ×

Hi!

Biscuit_Bass

Hi all,

I'm based in York and am thinking of learning the bass. Have my first lesson booked for the 5th but don't have my own gear yet. Looking at the Yamaha TRBX304 as my first instrument but will get 2-3 lessons under my belt first.

I have two concerns about learning and hoped I might get some thoughts from some experienced players. I sometimes get pain in my wrists and my thumb joints and wondered if this might prevent me from learning in any way? It's not a constant pain and it comes and goes.

Looking forward to getting started!

Cheers

9 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Welcome BB.

Is it arthritic pain?  There are many members here who experience this or who cope with old injuries.  You could try asking in the General section.

To be honest, I don't know! I've not been diagnosed with arthritis but I've never really gone to the GP to ask about it. Could be RSI - many years of computer games.

I'll pop a post in the general discussion later and see if anyone can help :) Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi @Biscuit_Bass

I recently took up bass also, I am 55 yo - I have a bit of arthritis in one elbow (and my knees), playing bass hasn't really made anything worse (I always play sat down) and the soreness / aching I get in fingers after a big practice session is really just the result of me training my fingers / muscles to stretch so I think you can probably expect a bit of that! I found slap a bit uncomfortable so I just play finger style currently (probably because I have zero technique)

Only tip I would give you it try not to accidentally buy a very heavy bass, I have one (a Harley Benton) and it makes surprising difference from a comfort perspective.

J

• Like 1

I would definitely get a diagnosis from a GP before you start getting advice from a forum of bass players. Once you know what is causing your pain then the advice of other players as to how they coped with the same condition will be useful but until you know what’s causing it some advice may be wrong and potentially harmful.

• Like 4