Why become a member? ×

The bass ID game

Pea Turgh

4 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Andy is the Chuck Norris of bass identification.

2 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

As usual Andy is bang on the money 🙂

I’ll make The Avengers with my superpowers one day…

Ok, ok, maybe a bit part in Justice League…

Alright, an extra in another Suicide Squad reboot.

• Haha 4

• 7 months later...
On 23/10/2021 at 22:28, AndyTravis said:

Washburn Taurus t14

Since this thread is now resurrected anyway, might as well join in :lol:

Washburn allegedly took notes (and measurements!) at the Jerzy Drozd stand at NAMM when they "designed" these.

51vnLg0oLSL._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.8a69ec33f055967b3cfab71cbafb7f08.jpg

18 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Sorry @LeftyJ - a comparison (I actually didn’t realise how close the JPM Jackson was)

Don't worry, I wasn't offended. My "confused" reaction was aimed at the Jackson. I wasn't aware of that model, let alone how close of a copy it is! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Don't worry, I wasn't offended. My "confused" reaction was aimed at the Jackson. I wasn't aware of that model, let alone how close of a copy it is! 

I think it lasted about a year (I want to say 1996, maybe earlier)

they crop up very rarely.

I’ve always quite fancied one.

22 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Since this thread is now resurrected anyway, might as well join in :lol:

Washburn allegedly took notes (and measurements!) at the Jerzy Drozd stand at NAMM when they "designed" these.

51vnLg0oLSL._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.8a69ec33f055967b3cfab71cbafb7f08.jpg

That's beyond shameless! The prevailing opinion among Washburn nerds (yeah, I know...) was that the Taurus borrowed its rather exaggerated proportions from a thing known as a Washburn Condor, a prototype/extreme rarity from around 1980-ish:

wash04.thumb.jpg.0d2bbbd3c98548b2a9930950aa070417.jpg

But evidently not!

Never seen that Jackson before, possibly even more shameless than the Washburn. Appears that Marleaux issued a C&D shortly after it appeared, making it a very rare bass these days. Wonder why Jerzy Drozd didn't do the same - those Washburns are everywhere.

55 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

I love the look of that!

I would've put the J pickup a bit closer to the bridge though 😁

Edited by Maude
Deleting waffle.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

That's beyond shameless! The prevailing opinion among Washburn nerds (yeah, I know...) was that the Taurus borrowed its rather exaggerated proportions from a thing known as a Washburn Condor, a prototype/extreme rarity from around 1980-ish:

But evidently not!

Never seen that Jackson before, possibly even more shameless than the Washburn. Appears that Marleaux issued a C&D shortly after it appeared, making it a very rare bass these days. Wonder why Jerzy Drozd didn't do the same - those Washburns are everywhere.

Wow, I've never seen that Condor before. I only knew the more symmetrical models from the Wings series like the Eagle Bass but that Condor looks seriously cool. Some pretty obvious Rickenbacker influences there! 

21 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Wow, I've never seen that Condor before. I only knew the more symmetrical models from the Wings series like the Eagle Bass but that Condor looks seriously cool. Some pretty obvious Rickenbacker influences there! 

This is the only one anyone's ever seen! Among the vintage MIJ geek community, this bass was known of only from one small cutting from an old magazine, where a tiny image with a 'coming soon' type caption appeared under the main Washburn ad:

266041116_10226216010604696_8735599544912173783_n.thumb.jpg.7a8999ef6ee4f4f7fd4e1c713a25bb6f.jpg

This was though to have never been launched, and never appeared in any catalogues or brochures, until the one above turned up a few months ago on Reverb. It's slightly different, the changed hardware suggesting it's later & possibly from a different factory, but likely a prototype or part of a very short production run.

Odd MIJ Washburns do turn up - a UK shop recently advertised a headless version of the 80s B20 Stage bass (I had an original when i was in my teens) which has never been seen before & appears in no catalogue:

27117.png.39d51c79718b28425f39a3e924a70162.png

Most people who've seen this insist it's a modified standard bass, but the construction, components and proportions say otherwise. Weird!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Most people who've seen this insist it's a modified standard bass, but the construction, components and proportions say otherwise. Weird!

To completely derail the thread it would be interesting to see how closely the back of that body with the tuner/tailpiece mechanism removed resembles that of the 8-string version of the bass?

21 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

To completely derail the thread it would be interesting to see how closely the back of that body with the tuner/tailpiece mechanism removed resembles that of the 8-string version of the bass?

I see where you're coming from - but the answer's not at all. The 8-string was a through-neck build, while this (and possibly all the B20s fitted with humbuckers rather than P/Js) is set neck. What it most resembles is the Steinberger-y Washburn Bantam with a B20 body. The same's true of other headless MIJ Washburns, like the Force 42, giving the impression they're all based on a similar template as far as hardware, controls & pickups are concerned.

Anyway, for the sake of argument:

kceoueyovc0o7luandw2.jpg

27126.png.009194cc742b212f00d24b160e254788.png

I think that's the thread well & truly derailed!

22 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Odd MIJ Washburns do turn up - a UK shop recently advertised a headless version of the 80s B20 Stage bass (I had an original when i was in my teens) which has never been seen before & appears in no catalogue:

Whoa, that's wild. Like @BigRedX, my first impression was that it's a modded 8-string too, especially since that bridge appears to have 8 intonation screws! Supercool, despite its (IMO) ugliness.